Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 170343 times)

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #760 on: May 27, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
Dear Craig, your unwavering pursuit of excellence in this art is very inspiring . . . thank you!

Best Regards,
Omid
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:48:09 PM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #761 on: May 27, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
Dear Craig, your unwavering pursuit of excellence in this art is very inspiring . . . thank you!

Best Regards,
Omid

Thank you Omid. That mean very much to me.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #762 on: May 27, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
That lemon one looks amazing.  I'm firing today, but cooking for some friends with very limited palates - plain cheese and pepperoni are the only two pizzas they will eat.  I'll make one or two others but won't go too far out tonight.  Maybe tomorrow I'll fire again for just us and try it.  Dan's smoking meat today, I should throw some mozz in the cold box...  All of yours are gorgeous as always.

My guest last night had not ventured beyond cheese and maybe the occasional pepperoni. They tried everything and loved it all. I always try to expand my guest's experiences in some way. I fed people many pies that they told me they never thought they would like and ended up loving them. My nephew (6) who does not eat vegetables period loves the sprout pies. He ask for it every time I see him.

Craig

Offline first crush

« Reply #763 on: May 27, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
Craig,

Just beautiful pies.  All of them perfectly balanced and crafted.  Looking forward to making a few pies tomorrow for some friends and want to try the uncooked sausage technique.  I've always par cooked mine as well but sounds like cooking on the pie is working well for you.  Thanks for the idea.

-Bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #764 on: May 27, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »
How did the guest like the Lemon Pie? thanks for whipping up that request thay all look  as good as it gets!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #765 on: May 27, 2012, 11:29:57 PM »
They loved it. I loved it. Thanks for inspiring me to make it again

CL

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #766 on: May 27, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
Works of art, my man...works. of. art.!

Awesome pizze, Craig. I don't think that there's anything better out there made in a home setting.  :chef:
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #767 on: May 27, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Craig

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #768 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:12 AM »
TXCraig1 said:
My guest last night had not ventured beyond cheese and maybe the occasional pepperoni. They tried everything and loved it all. I always try to expand my guest's experiences in some way. I fed people many pies that they told me they never thought they would like and ended up loving them. My nephew (6) who does not eat vegetables period loves the sprout pies. He ask for it every time I see him.

Yeah, not so much my guests - they eat a lot of fast food and don't cook at home at all except grilled meat.  :-X  Even the plain cheese and the pepperoni pizzas I made were held in suspicion, as they were not like the Round Table and Pizza Hut that they are used to.  They wouldn't touch the pesto pizza as it was green and they'd never heard of pesto, and that's when I stopped cooking.  Luckily, Dan's smoked ribs and shoulder were a huge hit and that was the main course for the guests.  For dessert, I did make a butter/sugar/cinnamon pizza and the adults liked that, they said it was like some Taco Bell thing?  I don't eat fast food so I don't know what they meant.  The kids wouldn't try it.  

Offline toddster63

« Reply #769 on: May 28, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
TXCraig1 said:
Yeah, not so much my guests - they eat a lot of fast food and don't cook at home at all except grilled meat.  :-X  Even the plain cheese and the pepperoni pizzas I made were held in suspicion, as they were not like the Round Table and Pizza Hut that they are used to.  They wouldn't touch the pesto pizza as it was green and they'd never heard of pesto, and that's when I stopped cooking.  Luckily, Dan's smoked ribs and shoulder were a huge hit and that was the main course for the guests.  For dessert, I did make a butter/sugar/cinnamon pizza and the adults liked that, they said it was like some Taco Bell thing?  I don't eat fast food so I don't know what they meant.  The kids wouldn't try it.  

Can you imagine going through life like that? Sad, sad, sad to miss out on so much...

I saw a show recently where Anderson Cooper hates green food, and only tried sprouts and spinach this year, at age 44...!

Robyn, Taco Bell serves a desert of fried tortillas with sugar and cinnamon on themóa quick version of churros. Your pizza sounds much yummier...

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #770 on: May 28, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

Great Pies, as always!

Tell me how you top your lemon pie...And ideas because I use a broiler and a 550F Conv oven...

Thanks,
RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #771 on: May 28, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
TXCraig1 said:

This sort of thing makes me sad :'(

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #772 on: May 28, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
Great Pies, as always!

Tell me how you top your lemon pie...And ideas because I use a broiler and a 550F Conv oven...

Thanks Randy.

Not much too it. Smoked mozz and thinly sliced lemon (all zest and pith removed). That's it.

I'm not sure how well the lemon would hold up to the time requirement of baking at 550F, but it's probably worth a try. You might add the lemon when the pie has maybe 2 minutes or so to go.

CL

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #773 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »
Hey Craig...

I was wondering if you could do me ( and probably anybody else that trows a pizza party) a huge favor... I've noticed that you carefully choose your pizzas from start to end.  I don't know if the pizzas that you take a pic of are in order but it seems to me that you always have a plan.  Can you go through how you plan the progression?  What kind of things are you considering?  Simplicity of the pie itself to begin with?  Or do you let the ingredients speak for themselves... for example do you start with the shroom pie(which can be very complex taste wise) and progress to the Marg ( Which perhaps doesn't have as many nuances) to something that has a salumi element? ( that to me would be the natural progression but I"m not sure that is what you would want from a palate standpoint).

Can you tell me what you are thinking about wine wise for each pie?  I have my wheelhouse of wines that I use for my pizza but I don't think that I'm putting enough effort into  matching the wine with the pie. What do you consider when pairing?

Lastly... If you had to come up with a death row pizza party for next weekend and you only had six pizzas that you make, what would they be and what wine would you pair with each.  Cost no object  ;D

Crap.. I asked a lot...feel free to answer what you can. :) 

Scot 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #774 on: June 01, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
Scot,

I canít say there is a lot of science that goes into the order I make my pies, but itís not random either (they donít always get posted in the order they were made).

The order evolves on the fly. A mushroom/white truffle is almost always first as it is my youngest sonís favorite (heís the one who makes the sauce and is most into pizza). A Margherita or some variant of is usually second. Brussels Sprouts is typically third (these are my two favorites). Pepperoni or sausage is usually fourth (back to the boyís favorites).  The fifth pie is usually something with a salad on top. The 6th pie is usually something new or a pie I really want to get right (by this time, Iím pretty dialed in. The last few pies are often the best).  The last few pies will be another Margherita, some sort of pie with meat or seafood, or something new.

As for the wine, my wife does not drink a lot, so itís generally what Iím in the mood for. Some days thatís something that pairs really well with pizza. For my taste, this is an mature wine with earthy, leathery flavors and not a ton of fruit. Iíve been in a good place with older cabs lately. On days like this, I drink most of my wine at the table when Iím eating. On other days, Iím in the mood for something like a giant hedonistic Australian shiraz Ė a wine you can stand a fork up in. On days like this, I drink most of my wine at my prep table as Iím making the pies and Iím probably drinking water or a [fill-in-the-blank] and coke with my pizza. It would be unusual for me to pair particular pizzas and wines. I also generally stick with similar wines throughout a particular evening, though I almost never open two of the same bottles in a particular evening Ė what fun is that? The one exception to the similar wine thing would be that from time-to-time, Iíll open something light and sweet with spicy pies like bacon or pepperoni and jalapeno.

Iíll have to think about your last question some.

CL

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »
Cool that helps a lot

So you make your selection of wine based upon what your craving but not necessarily geared for the progression of the pies throughout the evening? 

Here's my deal...I have a wine club that meets once a quarter... its pretty cool.  Theres five of us and we clear out the wives and kids at somebody's house and talk wine.  There is a varying amount of knowledge  in terms of wine but we are all learning.  One thing that I have found is that very few of them pair wines with their food.  They drink wines like I would drink a beer... on the back porch hanging out if you know what I mean.  They are not "foodies".  Last night we were going through the differences between European style red wines and California style ( just broad generalizations).  When we tasted a very good Burgundy, They all were put off by the "barnyard" nose and strong tannins.  All picked the fruit forward Pinot's from Cali as their favorites.  But then I handed each of them a chunk of stinky cheese.  The game changed.  Now the Burgundy was the favorites amongst all.  It was a cool exercise. 

So I started to think that when it was my turn to host that I would pair each pie with a specific wine.  So I wanted to get a match made in heaven for each pie.  I'm still working on my list of pies but I wanted to kick the idea around here and get some of the members favorites 

Heres a prelim list...

Asparagus pie with lemon and an egg on top
Mushroom with perhaps a few dollops of Bťchamel, Buffalo Mozz
Marg
smoked pepperoni
Sopresetta and calabrian peppers

Let me know what you think.

Scot

parallei

« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
If you want to mix it up a bit:

Sopresetta and calabrian peppers - A California Zinfandel.  Not some ball-buster, but a table wine.  

PS

Craig your pies are stunning....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:20:44 PM by parallei »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
The nights he's drinking a lot of wine at the prep table, generally are his most creative nights! :-D :-D :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
The nights he's drinking a lot of wine at the prep table, generally are his most creative nights! :-D :-D :-D

Thugh not always the roundest pies...  :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
If you want to mix it up a bit:

Sopresetta and calabrian peppers - A California Zinfandel.  Not some ball-buster, but a table wine.  

PS

Craig your pies are stunning....

Thanks Paul. I like a good zin (mostly the ball-busters). I don't drink enough of it. I need to give that a try. I bet it is a good combo.