Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 170447 times)

Phar Lap

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #940 on: August 31, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Craig,

Looks great! 

Did you run out of Vermont Smoked Pepperoni, or just decide to go in another direction?  Living near the VT border in NH, I have regular access, so just let me know if you need a shipment  ???

Adam   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #941 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »
Craig,

Looks great! 

Did you run out of Vermont Smoked Pepperoni, or just decide to go in another direction?  Living near the VT border in NH, I have regular access, so just let me know if you need a shipment  ???

Adam   

I have a regular source here now (after a little complaining, they promised to keep in in stock for me. I should get a commission.  :-D

I didn't run out. I happened to notice that Armour-Eckrich was packing HEB brand (a large local chain) pepperoni, and I bought a pack to see how it was. It's not Vermont, but it's not bad.

Thank for the offer!

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #942 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »
I noticed the pepp. being different also, but decided to keep my mouth shut in case you didn't break out the good stuff for the group. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #943 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
I noticed the pepp. being different also, but decided to keep my mouth shut in case you didn't break out the good stuff for the group. :-D

They got some of my finest pies even without the VT pep.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #944 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
I can't remember, is it bought cold or room temp?  I just bet my super grocery doesn't have any.  Put that on this list of stuff to bring..  Oh, I only have that legume mesquite, can you bring a chord of the post oak?  I'd really like it split a bit smaller than you do for yourself.  I'm sure that won't take you and Java to do.  Really, thanks a ton.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #945 on: August 31, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
1/3 of the cooking time in the dome?  All at the end of the cook, or sporadic throughout?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #946 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »
I can't remember, is it bought cold or room temp?  I just bet my super grocery doesn't have any.  Put that on this list of stuff to bring..  Oh, I only have that legume mesquite, can you bring a chord of the post oak?  I'd really like it split a bit smaller than you do for yourself.  I'm sure that won't take you and Java to do.  Really, thanks a ton.

I don't know of any pepperoni that needs to be refrigerated before opening.

Just one cord?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #947 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »
1/3 of the cooking time in the dome?  All at the end of the cook, or sporadic throughout?

All at the end.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #948 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »
Just one cord?

If you and Java are feeling generous, yes 2 will do till winter.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #949 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
All at the end.

Is that VPN or CraigPN?

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #950 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
craig, after your bulk rise how long before the balls have relaxed enough to make pies with?? how much of a difference was their between the two pepperonis? they look like they cup the same.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #951 on: September 01, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
craig, after your bulk rise how long before the balls have relaxed enough to make pies with?? how much of a difference was their between the two pepperonis? they look like they cup the same.

I don't know for sure. I don't think I've ever tried with less than 18 hours or so, but 20-24 is what I typically plan for. From a rise perspective, they would never be ready in less than 18 hours unless I let them get much warmer than I like. I would guess you could force them to be ready in maybe 12?

There is a huge difference between the two pepperonis. The Vermont is better in every conceivable way. Look again at the two most recent pepperoni pies. The one on the 27th is Vermont, the one yesterday is Armour-Eckrich/HEB. The difference I see is huge.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #952 on: September 01, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
Good guess, but it was rum. Brandy is good too. And, so are the plumped cranberries  :-D

You must be in a Methodist men's group Craig.

You know the old joke, "What's the difference between a Methodist and Baptist? The Methodist will say hi to you in the liquor store!" Lol, I use to be Baptist so I'm not trying to start something. :-D
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #953 on: September 01, 2012, 12:27:06 AM »
You must be in a Methodist men's group Craig.

Yes. Our pastor is there with us for cigars and beer (and in this case pizza) every Thursday.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #954 on: September 01, 2012, 12:33:42 AM »
Ha, good to find another Methodist on this forum. It would be nice if someone in our men's group would crank out pizza, especially if it was Neopolitan that looked that good.

Our pastor pulls out the Levi Garret as soon as he gets outside the church and at every get together we have outside. I usually get one from him whenever I can. :-D

BTW, do you warm the rum or brandy before you add the fruit or just put them in room temp? I've always plumped in warmer liquids but that may be incorrect when using alcohol.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #955 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »
craig, i wanted to know how long do your individual dough balls rest before you can stretch them into a skin. since all pepperoni is smoked the Vermont must be naturally smoked?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #956 on: September 01, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
BTW, do you warm the rum or brandy before you add the fruit or just put them in room temp? I've always plumped in warmer liquids but that may be incorrect when using alcohol.

No, just room temp. The key is to use a lot more than you think you need, because it is really good to drink after the dried fruit soaks in it for a while. I usually use the brandy or rum to judge when the fruit is ready. When it has a strong fruit taste, I drain it so as not to take all the flavor out of the dried fruit.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #957 on: September 01, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
craig, i wanted to know how long do your individual dough balls rest before you can stretch them into a skin. since all pepperoni is smoked the Vermont must be naturally smoked?

My balls typically rest 20-24 hours before I stretch them. I would guess they would stretch easily long before that, but they would not be ready from a rising perspective. When I ball the dough after 24 hours of bulk, it shows very little signs of activity. It's just starting to get a few tiny little bubbles. I don't want to feel any gas when I ball the dough.

I'm pretty sure all pepperoni is not smoked. I think very little of it is in fact. I believe the Vermont pepperoni is naturally smoked. The difference in taste between Vermont and any other I've tried is night and day.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #958 on: September 01, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
My balls typically rest 20-24 hours before I stretch them.

Craigs balls (dough) were very easy to open at the Summit.  Very easily stretched over the knuckles, after ther general gentle punch out with fingertips. Craigs balls (dough)  I think benefit from (among other things) the tight balling process in the initial stage.  He really likes his balls (dough) tight. Seriously.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #959 on: September 01, 2012, 01:28:48 AM »
As I recall, you thought I was too rough with my (dough) balls. You thought it would be too stiff after the aggressive way I handled them, but in the end, you were quite fond of my (dough) balls.