Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 256423 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #925 on: August 27, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
I got sidetracked last night right before baking, and the dough got up to at least 90F. Bench flour stuck to it like glue.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #926 on: August 27, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
Jeeez....hope my "bloopers" turn out half that nice once I get going on this style.
That mushroom pie looks killer.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #927 on: August 27, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
They look absolutely stunning!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #928 on: August 31, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
I opened the Garage last night for my church men's group, and I thought the pies turned out very good. Possibly some of my best tasting ever. I did a couple things differently. The first was not so much different but rather actually doing what I say I do. I've been cheating on my bulk rise some lately - making the dough later and later at night. Recently, that may be 10pm which ends up cutting 4 hours off the bulk. I had a feeling this was taking away from the pies, so I made sure to start it early on Tuesday. I got a full 24 hours and maybe a little more. I also added a touch more culture - 1.4% (I had been at 1.1-1.3%). Between this and the full 24 hours in bulk, I was able to do the balls for a full 24 hours at ~64F and have them ready to go without warming them up for an extended period. I gave them about 15 minutes at 90F (the temp in the Garage) before baking. Lastly, I cut my bake time down a few seconds while keeping the oven at the same temp - about 900F. I also did a lot more of the baking in the dome - about 1/3 of the total bake time. The crust was unbelievably tender and flavorful.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #929 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
More pics:

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #930 on: August 31, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
Beautiful, as always.
What's on the first pie along with the sausage?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #931 on: August 31, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
Beautiful, as always.
I'm gonna guess dried cranberries. Knowing Craig, they're probably soaked in wine first.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #932 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
Well I'm definitely firing up the oven this weekend.  I've got to fit it into the gumbo and chicken wing tailgate party  ( OU playing in El Paso) and my sons request for fried chicken!

Gorgeous pies Craig

I'm not as good as many of the members on this board that can describe what they see so well and I may be off here but it seems this batch is not as uniform as others ( in a good way if that makes sense).

You have one hell of a lucky Mens Church group.  Maybe I shouldn't have used the word hell though :angel:

Scot

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #933 on: August 31, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Craig,

Your pies are always an inspiration to me. :chef:  Hopefully, someday I will be able to make some pies like you do.

Great job!  :)

Norma

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #934 on: August 31, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
Those do look wonderful, and they LOOK tender - you can just see how soft and light that crust is.  What're the long strips on the first pie in the second group of photos?  Looks almost like strips of orange peel, but I doubt that's actually what it is.  Though it does give me an idea...

I'm about to light my oven for the first time in a couple months, pretty excited about it!

*Edited to add:  Never mind, just saw your other post.  I was close  :D  But now I'm still intrigued by the orange peel idea.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:42:56 PM by RobynB »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #935 on: August 31, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
Beautiful, as always.

Thanks Steve.

That pie is topped with fresh mozzarella, hot fennel sausage, dried cranberries plumped in rum (be sure to use more rum (or brandy) than you think you need as you will want to drink it later!), and red pepper flakes. Local unfiltered wildflower honey from my friends back yard and heirloom basil Napoletano from my back yard added post bake.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #936 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
I'm gonna guess dried cranberries. Knowing Craig, they're probably soaked in wine first.

Good guess, but it was rum. Brandy is good too. And, so are the plumped cranberries  :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #937 on: August 31, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
it seems this batch is not as uniform as others ( in a good way if that makes sense).

I've been playing around with stretching the dough on the peel and the launch. The kick you see on a couple of the pies is where I have dough hanging over the front edge of the peel that I drop onto the floor first then pull back the peel. It stretches it a little at that point. I've been doing it to get a larger pie (usually plenty of folks waiting for a slice), but I'm going to stop and just go with a straight 13" and so stretching over the edges. The oval shaped pies result from trying to use too little bench flour in a 90F garage.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #938 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
Craig,

Your pies are always an inspiration to me. :chef:  Hopefully, someday I will be able to make some pies like you do.

Great job!  :)

Norma

Thanks Norma, but you're not fooling anoyone. We've seen how good your pies from Steve's WFO look! ;D

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #939 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
Those do look wonderful, and they LOOK tender - you can just see how soft and light that crust is.  What're the long strips on the first pie in the second group of photos?  Looks almost like strips of orange peel, but I doubt that's actually what it is.  Though it does give me an idea...

I'm about to light my oven for the first time in a couple months, pretty excited about it!

*Edited to add:  Never mind, just saw your other post.  I was close  :D  But now I'm still intrigued by the orange peel idea.

Thanks Robyn. John's pie looked so good I had to try something like it, and I wanted something sweet as most of the other pies were savory. It did have some orange in it too along with the figs, but the strips are all lemon peel.

CL

Phar Lap

« Reply #940 on: August 31, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Craig,

Looks great! 

Did you run out of Vermont Smoked Pepperoni, or just decide to go in another direction?  Living near the VT border in NH, I have regular access, so just let me know if you need a shipment  ???

Adam   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #941 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »
Craig,

Looks great! 

Did you run out of Vermont Smoked Pepperoni, or just decide to go in another direction?  Living near the VT border in NH, I have regular access, so just let me know if you need a shipment  ???

Adam   

I have a regular source here now (after a little complaining, they promised to keep in in stock for me. I should get a commission.  :-D

I didn't run out. I happened to notice that Armour-Eckrich was packing HEB brand (a large local chain) pepperoni, and I bought a pack to see how it was. It's not Vermont, but it's not bad.

Thank for the offer!

Craig

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #942 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »
I noticed the pepp. being different also, but decided to keep my mouth shut in case you didn't break out the good stuff for the group. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #943 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
I noticed the pepp. being different also, but decided to keep my mouth shut in case you didn't break out the good stuff for the group. :-D

They got some of my finest pies even without the VT pep.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #944 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
I can't remember, is it bought cold or room temp?  I just bet my super grocery doesn't have any.  Put that on this list of stuff to bring..  Oh, I only have that legume mesquite, can you bring a chord of the post oak?  I'd really like it split a bit smaller than you do for yourself.  I'm sure that won't take you and Java to do.  Really, thanks a ton.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #945 on: August 31, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
1/3 of the cooking time in the dome?  All at the end of the cook, or sporadic throughout?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #946 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »
I can't remember, is it bought cold or room temp?  I just bet my super grocery doesn't have any.  Put that on this list of stuff to bring..  Oh, I only have that legume mesquite, can you bring a chord of the post oak?  I'd really like it split a bit smaller than you do for yourself.  I'm sure that won't take you and Java to do.  Really, thanks a ton.

I don't know of any pepperoni that needs to be refrigerated before opening.

Just one cord?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #947 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »
1/3 of the cooking time in the dome?  All at the end of the cook, or sporadic throughout?

All at the end.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #948 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »
Just one cord?

If you and Java are feeling generous, yes 2 will do till winter.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #949 on: August 31, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
All at the end.

Is that VPN or CraigPN?

pizzapan