Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 241052 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #950 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
craig, after your bulk rise how long before the balls have relaxed enough to make pies with?? how much of a difference was their between the two pepperonis? they look like they cup the same.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #951 on: September 01, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
craig, after your bulk rise how long before the balls have relaxed enough to make pies with?? how much of a difference was their between the two pepperonis? they look like they cup the same.

I don't know for sure. I don't think I've ever tried with less than 18 hours or so, but 20-24 is what I typically plan for. From a rise perspective, they would never be ready in less than 18 hours unless I let them get much warmer than I like. I would guess you could force them to be ready in maybe 12?

There is a huge difference between the two pepperonis. The Vermont is better in every conceivable way. Look again at the two most recent pepperoni pies. The one on the 27th is Vermont, the one yesterday is Armour-Eckrich/HEB. The difference I see is huge.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #952 on: September 01, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
Good guess, but it was rum. Brandy is good too. And, so are the plumped cranberries  :-D

You must be in a Methodist men's group Craig.

You know the old joke, "What's the difference between a Methodist and Baptist? The Methodist will say hi to you in the liquor store!" Lol, I use to be Baptist so I'm not trying to start something. :-D
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #953 on: September 01, 2012, 12:27:06 AM »
You must be in a Methodist men's group Craig.

Yes. Our pastor is there with us for cigars and beer (and in this case pizza) every Thursday.

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #954 on: September 01, 2012, 12:33:42 AM »
Ha, good to find another Methodist on this forum. It would be nice if someone in our men's group would crank out pizza, especially if it was Neopolitan that looked that good.

Our pastor pulls out the Levi Garret as soon as he gets outside the church and at every get together we have outside. I usually get one from him whenever I can. :-D

BTW, do you warm the rum or brandy before you add the fruit or just put them in room temp? I've always plumped in warmer liquids but that may be incorrect when using alcohol.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #955 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »
craig, i wanted to know how long do your individual dough balls rest before you can stretch them into a skin. since all pepperoni is smoked the Vermont must be naturally smoked?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #956 on: September 01, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
BTW, do you warm the rum or brandy before you add the fruit or just put them in room temp? I've always plumped in warmer liquids but that may be incorrect when using alcohol.

No, just room temp. The key is to use a lot more than you think you need, because it is really good to drink after the dried fruit soaks in it for a while. I usually use the brandy or rum to judge when the fruit is ready. When it has a strong fruit taste, I drain it so as not to take all the flavor out of the dried fruit.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #957 on: September 01, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
craig, i wanted to know how long do your individual dough balls rest before you can stretch them into a skin. since all pepperoni is smoked the Vermont must be naturally smoked?

My balls typically rest 20-24 hours before I stretch them. I would guess they would stretch easily long before that, but they would not be ready from a rising perspective. When I ball the dough after 24 hours of bulk, it shows very little signs of activity. It's just starting to get a few tiny little bubbles. I don't want to feel any gas when I ball the dough.

I'm pretty sure all pepperoni is not smoked. I think very little of it is in fact. I believe the Vermont pepperoni is naturally smoked. The difference in taste between Vermont and any other I've tried is night and day.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #958 on: September 01, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
My balls typically rest 20-24 hours before I stretch them.

Craigs balls (dough) were very easy to open at the Summit.  Very easily stretched over the knuckles, after ther general gentle punch out with fingertips. Craigs balls (dough)  I think benefit from (among other things) the tight balling process in the initial stage.  He really likes his balls (dough) tight. Seriously.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #959 on: September 01, 2012, 01:28:48 AM »
As I recall, you thought I was too rough with my (dough) balls. You thought it would be too stiff after the aggressive way I handled them, but in the end, you were quite fond of my (dough) balls.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #960 on: September 01, 2012, 01:35:29 AM »
 :-D
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #961 on: September 01, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »
^ What he said.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #962 on: September 01, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »
 how about individual dough rounds, vs. balls this is getting weird.look in you rullman book to see if they add smoke to the pepperoni.i am ging to look at my pepperoni label this morning.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #963 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
Not to encourage the topic drift, but here's the origin of the whole "balls" thing.  Worth watching, very funny!

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #964 on: September 01, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
how about individual dough rounds, vs. balls this is getting weird.look in you rullman book to see if they add smoke to the pepperoni.i am ging to look at my pepperoni label this morning.

I don't understand what you mean by "individual dough rounds, vs. balls ?"

There is no pepperoni in Ruhlman's Salumi book. There is a recipe in Charcuterie and does not call for smoking. I remember watching pepperoni production at Hormel when I worked there. I remember the drying rooms, but I don't remember any smoking or the use of smoked casings.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #965 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
 balls(dough) takes a lot of typing.looking at my pepperoni you are right, i do not see smoke as an ingredient.i really want to try the Vermont product.i didn't realize you can get such a long fermentation with just natural leavening.i think that would be very hard to manage in a commercial setting.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #966 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
i didn't realize you can get such a long fermentation with just natural leavening.i think that would be very hard to manage in a commercial setting.

It is less forgiving for sure, and there are challenges and complexities you won't encounter with baker's yeast. You need to be able to control temperature with reasonable precision. In at least one way it would be easier than at home, however. At home, especially when you don't bake on a regular schedule, it is difficult to have your culture at the same level of activity every time. If you were baking every day and making dough on a schedule, this would be less of an issue.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #967 on: September 01, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »
i think the hardest pert would allocating kitchen space for large quantities of proofing dough.and temperature swings.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #968 on: September 01, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
How about using an old glass-front soda retail fridge?  You can set it to whatever temp you want, and keep an eye on the dough without opening the door.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #969 on: September 01, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
Ah yes..the 'ol glass door reach in cooler I presume...
http://www.akitchen.com/store/tcoolers.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #970 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
Not to drift off topic, but I found an Acunto that looks like your ovens twin Craig.

http://friedchickenlips.blogspot.com/2011/09/sapori-di-napoli.html

You have probably seen this oven before. I was just wondering if most all Acunto's look like this? If that the design that they use for all their ovens mostly? Too bad there are probably no abandoned pizza ovens setting around anywhere in Alabama that I could find like you did. Probably not one person in Alabama with a residential WFO.... LOL.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #971 on: September 01, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »
Is that guys dough defective or something   ???

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #972 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »
Not to drift off topic, but I found an Acunto that looks like your ovens twin Craig.

http://friedchickenlips.blogspot.com/2011/09/sapori-di-napoli.html

You have probably seen this oven before. I was just wondering if most all Acunto's look like this? If that the design that they use for all their ovens mostly? Too bad there are probably no abandoned pizza ovens setting around anywhere in Alabama that I could find like you did. Probably not one person in Alabama with a residential WFO.... LOL.

Thats a twin all right.  The pizzas didn't look bad.  The reviewer, however, should be shot.  What horrible writing.  And he didn't even title the blog post with the individual pizzeria's name, just left it to the reader to figure out which was which.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #973 on: September 01, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Thats a twin all right.  The pizzas didn't look bad. 
Does this look anything even close to what comes outta Craig's (that pie's MONEY!) Acunto?
For Christ's sakes!!  ;-)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:38:33 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #974 on: September 01, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »
The pizza looks evenly colored and over cooked. No leoparding at all really and really really really dry. I bet that would be one tough pizza pie.