Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 176144 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »
Tonight's pies were probably my best ever in every respect.

100% Caputo
62% Water
2.8% salt
1% Ischia culture

My regular mixing routine. 36 hours bulk at 60F, followed by 6 hours at 77F, and then 6 more hours in balls at 77F. I didn't necessarily want to ferment this long, but I needed to to make the schedule work. Baked at 850F for ~60 seconds.

The dough was almost too easy to work with. It basically opens itself. The "slap" technique worked best. About 4 slaps and you were ready to go. Over the knuckles, the weight of the dough wanted to pull it too thin in the center if you weren't carefull.  I'm going to start moving down the hydration marginally.

CL
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:49:36 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 10:41:44 PM »
A couple more pics:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
I personally want to thank you for posting your entire method including the cooler proof.  People are rightfully wooed by the results, but only members such as yourself, help us newbies move foreward.  STFD, STFU and all kudos to you.  :-D :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online scott123

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »
Nice job, Craig.

What's different on the mushroom pie?  The mushrooms look a little rawer than usual.

Regarding the center thinning out during a knuckle stretch, try doing a slap first and then knuckle stretch.  If you pull the slap, like an actor pulling a punch, you can still deliver a good jarring to the center of the dough without flattening it.  This 'jarring' will activate a good portion of gluten so that when you go to knuckle stretch it, the center will be tight and resist thinning out. I do this with very extensible/slack NY doughs, but it should have the same effect for Neopolitan.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
Craig,

You are killing me with those pictures!  I haven't had pizza for a few days and those pies sure do look like some of the finest pies I have seen.  ;D  Great job!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »
Outstanding as always Craig.  Those certainly do look like your finest work.  I love the way your sauce looks.  Do you use any of the puree that comes in the can or just the tomatoes?  Also do you add any water to the sauce at all?

Thx,
Chau
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:58:08 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
Nice job Craig!

Matt

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:13 AM »
Great looking pies Craig!!

i think going down to 60% H2O and upping the Salt to 3% will give you that xtra strength in your dough...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
Craig - These are your best yet by far. I love the level of char you are getting at these temps. Regarding the dough opening, I am starting to experiment with small amounts of high protein flour mixed in with caputo when fermenting more than 20 hours. Andre has posted about this in the past, speculating that caputo pizzeria is just not meant to go that long. But your pics are proof it can go that long and the dough consistency is just a preference.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
those are beautiful pizzas. 850 floor and a very even bake. that oven is balanced!!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »
Nice job, Craig.

What's different on the mushroom pie?  The mushrooms look a little rawer than usual.

Thanks, Scott.

Only the 33% shorter bake time, I think. I sliced them the same thickness, and I always put them on raw. I added a few shiitake this time, but they look about the same as the others. They didn't taste any less cooked.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
Outstanding as always Craig.  Those certainly do look like your finest work.  I love the way your sauce looks.  Do you use any of the puree that comes in the can or just the tomatoes?  Also do you add any water to the sauce at all?

Thanks, Chau.

My youngest son always makes the sauce, and he can do it better than I can. Little turd won't tell me his secret either.  :-D

I know he pulls the stems and any skin off, takes out all the basil, and adds all the puree from the can. He doesn't add any water. Then he hits it with the stick blender lightly and seasons with a little sugar and salt. For a 35oz Cento Italian can (our favorite), he uses ~1Tbsp sugar and 1tsp salt. I think it tastes best if made a couple hours ahead.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »
I personally want to thank you for posting your entire method including the cooler proof.  People are rightfully wooed by the results, but only members such as yourself, help us newbies move foreward.  STFD, STFU and all kudos to you.  :-D :chef:

Thanks Gene.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
Thanks Matt, Andre, John, and Larry!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »
You are killing me with those pictures!  I haven't had pizza for a few days and those pies sure do look like some of the finest pies I have seen.  ;D  Great job!  :chef:

Goodness, I don't want to kill you with my pictures.  :-D  Thank you for the kind words.

I know what you mean about not having pizza for a few days. I'm already hungry for it, and it hasn't been but 12 hours or so. I have a wedding to go to next weekend and Fourth of July at my parents house the next. It might be while before I get to bake again. Yikes!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
Thanks, Chau.

My youngest son always makes the sauce, and he can do it better than I can. Little turd won't tell me his secret either.  :-D

I know he pulls the stems and any skin off, takes out all the basil, and adds all the puree from the can. He doesn't add any water. Then he hits it with the stick blender lightly and seasons with a little sugar and salt. For a 35oz Cento Italian can (our favorite), he uses ~1Tbsp sugar and 1tsp salt. I think it tastes best if made a couple hours ahead.

CL

Chau, one other thought on the sauce -- I've cut the amount I use by half or more. In some cases, I'm only using 1/3 of what I did in the past. I can measure the exact amount if you are interested.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Hey Craig, I think your secret is the KID not the Acunto....!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline DrivenAgain

• Gems By J.Wade
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:18 PM »
Amazing looking pies, excellent leoparding.  Im using the same canned tomatoes but I dont season mine at all.  I have longer cook times than you so maybe that takes some of the acidity out.  I may try a pinch of sugar next time tho, thanks for your sons tip ;)

Jason

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
Absolutely gorgious.  You....the....man.

Among other aspects of your perfection, the basil looks just perfectly wilted on that last margarita.
are you oiling the basil before or after dressing the pie?

AZ

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
Absolutely gorgious.  You....the....man.

Among other aspects of your perfection, the basil looks just perfectly wilted on that last margarita.
are you oiling the basil before or after dressing the pie?

AZ

Thank you AZ. I give it a few swirls of oil as the last thing before it goes into the oven.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan