Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 199288 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
A few more pics
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
Beautiful Craig ;D  A lucky group of bean counters.....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
This is probably my best pie so far. I was very happy with the look, flavor, balance, and tenderness.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Phar Lap

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
Craig,

Great job!!  How was the fishing trip? 

I have a question about your Ischia culture:  I just activated Ischia culture into sourdough starter that I got from Cultures for Health.  Is the 1.5% Ischia culture you use to leaven your dough 1.5% active Ischia starter?  Sorry if it is a stupid question, but this is my first foray into natural preferments.

Thanks...Adam

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2011, 10:55:51 PM »
All beautiful Craig! Where do you go from here?

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »
All beautiful Craig! Where do you go from here?

Chau

Thank you Chau. I find that the more I like what I see in my pies, the more I see that I can improve on.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »
Craig,

Great job!!  How was the fishing trip?  

I have a question about your Ischia culture:  I just activated Ischia culture into sourdough starter that I got from Cultures for Health.  Is the 1.5% Ischia culture you use to leaven your dough 1.5% active Ischia starter?  Sorry if it is a stupid question, but this is my first foray into natural preferments.

Thanks...Adam

Thanks Adam. The fishing trip was great. I had so much fun with my boys - one of our best outing ever.

Yes, 1.5% (very) active culture. I keep my about the consistency of a thick batter. It will just barely pour. It will probably take some experimenting to get your quantity, temperature, and time all worked out. I'm happy to help with questions if I can.

CL
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:57:18 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Phar Lap

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Thanks Craig...do you take the 1.5% Ischia culture directly from your master starter kept in the fridge, or do you first activate your master starter out of the fridge, and then use 1.5% of the active form?

My boys are 4 and 1, and "we" are already planning our first guys golf trip, which most likely be at the Greenbrier in WV...it will be a few years, but I cannot wait.  Also, I am hosting my HR compensation group for an outing in a few weeks, and while it is not quite the Accounting group, I think we can relate  ;D

Adam

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2011, 11:37:43 PM »
beautiful pizzas !! what was you cooking temperature? you have great balance top and bottom .

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »
great job Craig with a big party.  i have a party of 20 this weekend and i'm inspired by your results.  i find that i can cook in pairs pretty easily which works great for up to 16.  i'm thinking of banging two pairs of each pizza for 20.  how did you work your sequence with so many folks?
bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2011, 06:24:46 AM »
Craig,

Beautiful pies!   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
Craig,
Very Nice I agree best to date ! really nice looking pizzas. Bet you heard a few of those OMG this is the best pizza... Was there a favorite voted from you variety? Do you think you will ever get the artisan trays or are you sticking with the Varsano storage? I have 60 People thursday night Ye ha!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »
Last night's bake - I had my accounting team over - 30 folks - for a office party - 21 pies.

100% Caputo
60% water
2.8% salt
1.5% Ischia culture

My normal mixing routine. 24 hours in bulk at 64F + 8+ more in balls at 77F. Bake 65-70 seconds at 875F. The crust was melt-in-your-mouth tender. Perfect (IMHO) sour flavor. Some of my favorite crust so far.

CL

In the name of all that is holy and unseen, what is that oven doing in your garage?!? That is extra, extra, extra-ordinary! . . . I have never seen anything like this before. How in the world did you end up with an Acunto oven in your garage? Will you marry me? (Your pizzas look very inviting. La chaim!)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:51:47 AM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline GlennC.

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
Wow!  I want to work for you just to attend the office parties.  Nothing better than a pie with fresh slices of jalapenos.
Texas A&M NCAA National Champions
Men's Track & Field  2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Track & Field 2011, 2010, 2009 [3-peat]
Women's Basketball 2011

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I agree Craig, it takes something special to bang through 21 pizzas that look that good.  I am sure they were all impressed.  On picture number 16 would you say that the olive oil or the water from the sauce/cheese made up the majority of the liquid at the tip of the slice of pizza that we see.  Anywho, I am impressed.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
Thanks Craig...do you take the 1.5% Ischia culture directly from your master starter kept in the fridge, or do you first activate your master starter out of the fridge, and then use 1.5% of the active form?

My boys are 4 and 1, and "we" are already planning our first guys golf trip, which most likely be at the Greenbrier in WV...it will be a few years, but I cannot wait.  Also, I am hosting my HR compensation group for an outing in a few weeks, and while it is not quite the Accounting group, I think we can relate  ;D

Adam

I keep a ďmasterĒ (and a back-up) in the fridge. For baking, I take a 1/8 cup or so from the master, feed it flour and water (1/8-1/4c + enough water to make the consistency of a thick batter), and keep it at room temp for hopefully at least 24 hours before I make dough. I want it fully active. If itís less than fully active, it makes it more difficult to gauge how long things will take.  If itís been a while since Iíve used it, it might take more time. I have a couple others that I use infrequently, and it may take several days and several feedings to get them up to full activity. If Iím going to be baking often, I might keep the culture going at room temp (aside from the master in the fridge). Since Iím almost never using more than 2% starter (by weight of flour), I just ignore it when looking at hydration of the recipe.

Weíre not very good golfers, so we stick mostly to hunting and fishing.  Iíve put pictures from several trips over the years in the off topic foods section. I posted about our recent trip to Canada here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14752.0.html

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
beautiful pizzas !! what was you cooking temperature? you have great balance top and bottom .

Thanks Larry. It was about 875F. I used it the day before as well. It was 400F when I re-fired it.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
great job Craig with a big party.  i have a party of 20 this weekend and i'm inspired by your results.  i find that i can cook in pairs pretty easily which works great for up to 16.  i'm thinking of banging two pairs of each pizza for 20.  how did you work your sequence with so many folks?
bill

Thanks Bill. It was one after the other all night. I have about a 50' run from the kitchen to the oven, so cooking multiple pies simultaneously is not much of an option. I'm working on that, but for now, it's one at a time. At first I was making what I wanted to make, but people quickly started requesting toppings.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »
Thank you Norma.

Thanks Glenn. I agree - fresh jalapenos are incredible on a pie. It's getting harder and harder to find them with any flavor though...

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »
Craig,
Very Nice I agree best to date ! really nice looking pizzas. Bet you heard a few of those OMG this is the best pizza... Was there a favorite voted from you variety? Do you think you will ever get the artisan trays or are you sticking with the Varsano storage? I have 60 People thursday night Ye ha!
John

Probably Margherita, but no real favorites beyond that. It is a pretty diverse group. The tubs work so well for me, I can't see myself changing for home use.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan