Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 184457 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #620 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »
Scott,  its no problem at all,   I can understand your fears though.  BTW,  tried the coal in my oven,  had to use wood to get it to work out,  needs airflow IMO after one test flight.  -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #621 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »
Marc, I kind of had a feeling that would be the case.  Thank you so much for trying!  The earthstone coal oven I have been using has a fan under the coals that you need to turn on from time to time to get them heated up.   Also, the coal pile needs to be really huge to maintain an oven floor at 700 all night.  Im still intrigued as to wether the oven seems to be dryer inside because coal burns dryer, or if its just the fact that its a massive monster of an oven with a huge dome and fan so the air is really moving in there.  Whatever it is, the pies are really more crispy than a typical wfo and im addicted.      

craig, your pies are so amazing. sorry to be derailing your thread here!   Ill start a new one for discussion if anyones interested.      
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:32:55 AM by scott r »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #622 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:11 PM »

craig, your pies are so amazing. sorry to be derailing your thread here!   Ill start a new one for discussion if anyones interested.      

Thanks, Scott. Not a problem. It will get back on topic next Sunday if not sooner.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #623 on: April 10, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
Im still intrigued as to wether the oven is just way dryer inside because coal burns dryer, or if its just the fact that its a massive monster of an oven with a huge dome and fan so the air is really moving in there.  Whatever it is, the pies are really more crispy than a typical wfo and im addicted.     

This gives me an idea.  I think I will try to bake with convection in my wfo using a small fan next time to see if there is a difference. 

Chau
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:33:29 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
Chau:  911 on speed dial?   :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
That gives me an idea.  I think I will try to bake with convection in my wfo using a small fan next time to see if there is a difference. 

Chau

There is already a lot of convection going on in there. Watch the flames. Air has to go in and exhaust has to go out. If you put a fan on it, I bet it gets a lot hotter as you will increase the oxygen available.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #626 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
Chau and Craig, if you remember our conversation with Frank at Vesta, you'll recall that he uses his roof fans to draw air out of his ovens, to both make sure the smoke is venting through the chimney as well as, when needed, introducing more air to the oven and ramping up the fire.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #627 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Chau and Craig, if you remember our conversation with Frank at Vesta, you'll recall that he uses his roof fans to draw air out of his ovens, to both make sure the smoke is venting through the chimney as well as, when needed, introducing more air to the oven and ramping up the fire.

I think this speaks to my point about a fan probably increasing temperature. For Frank, this was also done out of necessity. His kitchen vents lowered the pressure in the building thus sucking air down the oven vents and smoking up his dining room..

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #628 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »
Craig, I was using Vesta to illustrate that a fan definitely does increase temp (and burns more wood).

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #629 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
In that case, I agree!  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #630 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
Ok, I started a new thread here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18650.new.html#new
to discuss the drying aspects of coal ovens.   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #631 on: April 15, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »
The prep station is complete, and the test was a complete success!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #632 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
More pics:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #633 on: April 15, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
To use webspeak....

OMFG

Craig, you have moved beyond the abilities of many a mortal man.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #634 on: April 15, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
Holy crap that looks incredible, the only thing your missing now is a pro mixer and your all set to open up shop.

Is the ice working well? How do you find working on a wood surface compared to a marble/granite one?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #635 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »
Holy crap that looks incredible, the only thing your missing now is a pro mixer and your all set to open up shop.

Is the ice working well? How do you find working on a wood surface compared to a marble/granite one?

The ice hardly melted in 5 hours at 85F. The wood works great. I think it will really shine when the temps touch 100F. I think marble or granite would transfer heat too fast. Wood was the best option I could come up with,.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #636 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »
Tonights bake was about the same as last week. Focus on the basics. The oven was not quite as hot however - probably about 25F cooler on the floor and walls (885F and 1055F respectively this week). That extra 25F matters.

Most of the pies are self explanatory. The one exception is the asparagus birds nest. This week I mixed mascarpone with a little maytag blue cheese. I topped the pie with this mixture, the shaved asparagus, some freshly grated Parm. Regg., and a little S&P. After the bake, I hit it with some fresh lemon juice and Meyer lemon olive oil. It was out of this world. Some cherry tomato might have made it even better. Next time.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »
More pics:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #638 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
More pics:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #639 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »
That's Vermont smoked pepperoni in the last pic. I finally found some, and it is incredible!
Pizza is not bread.