Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 177422 times)

parallei

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #800 on: June 18, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
Great as always Craig.

Nebbiolo, my favorite name for a grape.  Maybe try a Primitivo if you're doing the Italian wines.  I THINK they decided Primitivo is the same or almost the same as Zinfandel.  Though it must be made quite differently in Italy and California, at least to my not very refined tastes.  For years we would buy 350# of Lodi Zin, and 70# of Petite Sirah and do it in the garage here in Denver.  Been a few years though.  Garagista!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #801 on: June 18, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
Paul, I believe you are right about Primitivo.

If you go to the oldest-planted parts of Sonoma County - up North in the Dry Creek area - where the Italians settled, there is tons of Primitivo/Zin and petite sirah.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Phar Lap

« Reply #802 on: June 18, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Thank you. It is one of my all-time favorites as well.

Craig,

We were in southern CT this weekend, and spur of the moment, the wife and I, sans the little ones, went into the city for a mini-pizza tour on Friday night--(Keste and Motorino).  I insisted on the Sprouts pie at Motorino based on your review and re-creations, and my wife wife's exact quote was, "I would have never ordered this one on my own, but this pizza is awesome...cheers to Mr. Craig!  ;D"  

One question for you: the bake at Motorino, at least last Friday, was in the 2 - 2.5 minute range versus the traditional 60-75 seconds at Keste...since you are usually baking your sprouts pie in less then 90 seconds, do you notice any distinct differences between your sprouts pie and Motorino's?

Thanks...Adam    
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:43:32 PM by Phar Lap »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #803 on: June 18, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
I'm glad you both (her in particular) liked it!

Their bake has been on the longer side every time I've been there. My bakes are rarely much over 60 sec any more. The main difference I notice is that the Motorino pie is wetter than mine. I guess the longer bake drives more water out of the sprouts.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #804 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »
Amazing pizzas.  There is nothing left to say.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #805 on: June 18, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Amazing pizzas.  There is nothing left to say.

Thanks Tom!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #806 on: June 19, 2012, 12:36:06 AM »
I think we should organize and hire several tour buses to pick us all up and travel to Craig's home and have him feed us!  HAHAHA Very good again Craig!

Offline JamieC

« Reply #807 on: June 19, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
Craig, I'm closely following your pursuit of the perfect dough, and wondering if you prefer the Ischia at 1.1% or 1.5%?  I'm about to start my Ischia culture, and looking for a good starting point.

Thanks,

Jamie

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #808 on: June 19, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
I've been using 1.2-1.3% lately for fermentation at 65F for 36 hours followed by another 10-12 at 77F. You might need to adjust up or down depending on your desired fermentation schedule and differences in the culture. If you take pictures, I can tell you how things compare to mine visually.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JamieC

« Reply #809 on: June 20, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
Thanks!  Just started my culture today, should be able to get some dough proofing in a week or so.  One more question for you: where do you stand on buffalo mozzarella versus the grocery store whole milk mozz?  Are you still using whole milk for margherita or have you switched to buffalo (I've seen your photos using both)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #810 on: June 20, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »
Thanks!  Just started my culture today, should be able to get some dough proofing in a week or so.  One more question for you: where do you stand on buffalo mozzarella versus the grocery store whole milk mozz?  Are you still using whole milk for margherita or have you switched to buffalo (I've seen your photos using both)

I use buffalo from time to time when I have a chance to go get it (at Costco). The quality is less consistant that cows milk due to the logistics of getting it here. It's never as fresh. I've been very happy with Galbani Mozzarella Fresca fresh (water pack) mozzarella. I like it about 90% as much as good buffalo. About the only pie where I really perfer the buffalo is my white mushroom pie.

With either the buffalo or cows milk, I tear it up and let it drain in the fridge on paper towels for 4 hours or so before using. Probably longer for the buffalo as it always seems a lot wetter.

About the only thing I use dry WM mozz for is cheese and pepperoni pies.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #811 on: June 24, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
The pies came out pretty good last night. 61.5%, 3.0%, 1.3%. 24h bulk at 65F, 12h balls at 65F, 12h at 65-77F. Not much I'd change about them. I had the oven running pretty hot, 910F+ on the bricks farthest from the fire. I also kept the dough cool (~74F). In the past couple weeks, I'd been letting it get up into the mid to high 80's. I'm convinced that cooler dough leopards better. I'd noticed this before and have talked to others who have had similar observations.

1) Margherita (with Aleppo pre-bake and Calabrian chilies post-bake)
2) Same pie
3) Asparagus birds nest with mascarpone+blue cheese, Meyer lemon evoo, fresh lemon juice, salt
4) Mozz, dried cherries plumped in brandy, hot fennel sausage, red pepper flakes, local wildflower honey post-bake
5) Mozz, cremini mushrooms (raw), parm, black pepper, white truffle oil post-bake.
6) Tomato, sopressata, mozz, cherry tomato, Calabrian chili oil post-bake
7) Mozz, cherry tomato, arugula, Meyer Lemon evoo, Aleppo, salt
8] Tomato, good anchovies, olive, Calabrian chili oil post-bake
9) Mozz, Brussels sprouts, pancetta, sliced garlic, parm, evoo
10) Margherita (with Aleppo pre-bake and Calabrian chilies post-bake)
11) Mozz, cherry tomato, parm, arugula, Meyer Lemon evoo, fresh lemon juice, Aleppo, prosciutto
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:00:34 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #812 on: June 24, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »
More:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #813 on: June 24, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
The rest:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #814 on: June 24, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
Craig - It is too bad you are so successful in your "other" job, as I would think your approach to this craft is so unique that a restaurant would be in order. These pies, and the ones posted in the "best ever" thread, are quite evocative. The only down side of opening a restaurant is that you will never see your family again.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #815 on: June 24, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
Craig - It is too bad you are so successful in your "other" job, as I would think your approach to this craft is so unique that a restaurant would be in order. These pies, and the ones posted in the "best ever" thread, are quite evocative.

Thank you!  ;D

The only down side of opening a restaurant is that you will never see your family again.

Which is why my wife has forbidden it...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #816 on: June 24, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
I'll quickly second that. People keep asking where am I located they want ticome for dinner ? umm not gonna happen Values some family time as well Hard enough But when you can let someone else do it absentee and just do QC thats the time
Yep great pies as allways!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #817 on: June 24, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »
I'll quickly second that. People keep asking where am I located they want ticome for dinner ? umm not gonna happen Values some family time as well Hard enough But when you can let someone else do it absentee and just do QC thats the time
Yep great pies as allways!
John

Thanks John!

;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
Simply stellar pies, as usual! ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Craig - It is too bad you are so successful in your "other" job, as I would think your approach to this craft is so unique that a restaurant would be in order. These pies, and the ones posted in the "best ever" thread, are quite evocative. The only down side of opening a restaurant is that you will never see your family again.

John

John,

Seeing your outstanding work, I would say that you are in the same boat as Craig.

Peter