Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 169569 times)

pacdunes and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1060 on: September 19, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
That's why I like ADY for pizza at home - not that I use it very often. I have not used CY since I worked in a restaurant almost 20 years ago. We used it for all our bread. I went through a case - not a 1# block - every week.

Yes, I rarely use CY anymore because it is so perishable. I only make pizza once a week anyway, and most of the time it is SD. I have a large bag of SAF Gold IDY that works like a charm every time - truth be told I probably can't tell the difference in taste from that and CY.

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1061 on: September 19, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
Yes, I rarely use CY anymore because it is so perishable. I only make pizza once a week anyway, and most of the time it is SD. I have a large bag of SAF Gold IDY that works like a charm every time - truth be told I probably can't tell the difference in taste from that and CY.

John
+1 on the SAF Gold. It's what I use and like John said, it is always right there on time for you.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1062 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
I tried 60% HR last night. That is the lowest I've gone in a long time - if not ever. I liked the way the dough handled a lot. I think I need to let the balls rise a little more (bring them up to temp sooner in the day) than with 62.5%. I'm going to work with this HR for a while and see how things go.

The pie with shrimp is Havarti, shrimp, (cut in half and put on raw), and shaved garlic . After the bake, I drizzled on a sauce I made from browned butter, garlic, dark beer, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, dry rosemary and thyme, black pepper and Tony C's, and sprinkled on some sliced green onions. It was the pie of the night.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1063 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
More pics:

Phar Lap

« Reply #1064 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
Craig,

Awesome as usual.  One question: do you ever drink beer with your pizza's...I am with you as an oenophile, but you have posted highly of Shiner, and I was wondering if beer ever makes it into your rotation?  :)

Adam  

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1065 on: September 25, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
Craig,

Awesome as usual.  One question: do you ever drink beer with your pizza's...I am with you as an oenophile, but you have posted highly of Shiner, and I was wondering if beer ever makes it into your rotation?  :)

Adam  

Thanks Adam.

I do drink beer with pizza, but not much. I drank a Shock Top last night. It usually when I'm serving a group of all beer drinkers or later in the evening when I'm getting pretty thirsty.

CL

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1066 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
Stunning as always.......

Craig, are the various toppings selections/combinations your inspirations?
Paolo

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1067 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
Every single one of those are just top shelf....I would have a hard time choosing which one to taste first.  :-\
Excellent work there Craig.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
Every single one of those are just top shelf....I would have a hard time choosing which one to taste first.  :-\
Excellent work there Craig.  8)

Thanks, Bob.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1069 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »
Stunning as always.......

Craig, are the various toppings selections/combinations your inspirations?

Thank you Paolo. Some are mine, some are borrowed. Here is the lineage of yesterdays pies (in the order of the pictures).

Spicy Margherita with Aleppo and Calabrian Chili oil is original. The use of Aleppo was championed by member dhorst (more so at Slice than here).

Shrimp and Havarti is original. Inspired by Paul Prudhomme’s BBQ shrimp.

Mushroom and white truffle oil is original. Bill/SFNM has a similar pie (Pizza Lolita). Mine was created independently and has important differences.

Brussles Sprouts and pancetta is verbatim Motorino NYC/EV.

Spec, red onions, and mushrooms is my take on Roberta’s Speckenwolf.

Pepperoni and Jalapeno is ubiquitous.

Sausage, dried cranberries plumped in brandy, red pepper, honey, basil  is almost original - very loosely inspired by Roberta’s Bee Sting, but is really a wholly different pie.

Craig

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
Awesome Craig!  What kind of pepperoni is that?  I like the way it cups.

Scott D.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »
Craig, on the Mushroom and Truffle Oil pie, is that some sort of light colored sauce underneath the cheese? To me it kinda looks like a breakfast gravy, but I'm 80% color blind and that may just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

It would be nice BTW to have one of those pies, or at least the energy to make something 1/10 as good looking.  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:51:49 PM by rcbaughn »
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »
Craig, on the Mushroom and Truffle Oil pie, is that some sort of light colored sauce underneath the cheese? To me it kinda looks like a breakfast gravy, but I'm 80% color blind and that may just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

It would be nice BTW to have one of those pies, or at least the energy to make something 1/10 as good looking.  :)

There is no white sauce. I've never put a white sauce on a pie. The light spots are fresh mozz. The darker areas is where you can see down to the crust. Parmigiano-Reggiano was applied to the entire pie before baking.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2012, 11:00:46 PM »
Awesome Craig!  What kind of pepperoni is that?  I like the way it cups.

Scott D.

Thanks, Scott. It's Vermont Smoked Pepperoni. The best pepperoni I've ever tasted. Period.

Offline scott123

« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
I tried 60% HR last night. That is the lowest I've gone in a long time - if not ever. I liked the way the dough handled a lot. I think I need to let the balls rise a little more (bring them up to temp sooner in the day) than with 62.5%. I'm going to work with this HR for a while and see how things go.

Water is a fermentation accelerator (through water activity and the fact that yeast/enzymes don't swim), so when you dial back the water, you generally will need to either increase the time or the temp to compensate, as you're noticing.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1075 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
Bob, the sprout and pancetta pie is awesome.

Craig, I love the tennis racket shape on this offering.

Since no pizzas were allowed on the death row meal thread, I didn't get to choose this one, but would have otherwise.  Craig's is better than Motorino NYC. Period.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #1076 on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
Craig,

Where can you buy that pepperoni?  I went looking for Calabrian Chiles today.  Couldn't find them locally.  Have to order online.

Scott D.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1077 on: September 25, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
Scott, I emailed Vermont Meats and they said that I would have to order it online since they don't have it in any stores in my area. I have a feeling that is how it is going to be for you too, but from all the good stuff that has been mentioned about it, it's probably worth paying the shipping.

And that is amazing Craig, I would have bet $100 that there was sauce on that pie. A testament to how good your crusts bake.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1078 on: September 26, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »
Bob, the sprout and pancetta pie is awesome.

Craig, I love the tennis racket shape on this offering.

Since no pizzas were allowed on the death row meal thread, I didn't get to choose this one, but would have otherwise.  Craig's is better than Motorino NYC. Period.

Thanks Gene; I wish I could say the shape was intentional.  :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »
Craig,

Where can you buy that pepperoni?  I went looking for Calabrian Chiles today.  Couldn't find them locally.  Have to order online.

Scott D.

I can't find Calabrian chilies locally either. I only know of one story in Houston that carries the VT pepperoni, and I had to ask them to carry it. I've heard that Whole Foods carries it in some of their stores. The Houston Stores don't have it. You can order it from Vermont Smoke and Cure if all else fails.