Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 183290 times)

Offline fagilia

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1540 on: January 15, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »
I read all the 77 pages today and it was very inspiring. So thank you.
I have been to many pizzerias in Naples by now and i have fotos from all of them but when i watch those none of them compares to yours.
At least that is my own personal honest opinion where my da michele pictures would be the closest to your standard.
Hope they taste even better than they look.
 I came up with 2 questions while Reading.

1: I thought I could see a big break trough in December 2011, just compare  reply 381 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg163088.html#msg163088
compared to the pizzas in reply 437 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg168867.html#msg168867. After reply 492 they all look just Amazing.

My question would be: What was the most important improvement that you made in this period if you remember? Was it to heat the oven for a longer time or change to 24/24 fermentation, or exact (Point of pasta)? Now i am only talking about looks like leoparding etc.

2: When getting those more pronounced leoparding etc. did the taste also got better in your opinion?

Please keep up your good work so we all can get more inspired.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1541 on: January 16, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
I read all the 77 pages today and it was very inspiring. So thank you.
I have been to many pizzerias in Naples by now and i have fotos from all of them but when i watch those none of them compares to yours.
At least that is my own personal honest opinion where my da michele pictures would be the closest to your standard.
Hope they taste even better than they look.
 I came up with 2 questions while Reading.

1: I thought I could see a big break trough in December 2011, just compare  reply 381 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg163088.html#msg163088
compared to the pizzas in reply 437 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg168867.html#msg168867. After reply 492 they all look just Amazing.

My question would be: What was the most important improvement that you made in this period if you remember? Was it to heat the oven for a longer time or change to 24/24 fermentation, or exact (Point of pasta)? Now i am only talking about looks like leoparding etc.

2: When getting those more pronounced leoparding etc. did the taste also got better in your opinion?

Please keep up your good work so we all can get more inspired.

Thank you. I'm very flattered.

With respect to your questions, 1) Yes, somewhere in about that time period I started preheating for a lot longer and thus had a smaller coal pile when baking. 2) No, I can't say that there is a correlation. Some are better and some are not. Some of my best pies have been the best looking, and some I was disappointed in until I tasted them.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #1542 on: January 22, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
Ok thanks.
For me so far results are shown in the way i handle the dough on the table when making the pie. Robertos pizzamaking master video shows that he is pushing a lot of air out to the edge. But that results in larger bubbles not the small ones that would make the spots. looks that you complete both tasks spots and good spring in the edge. Nice ...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1543 on: March 23, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
Oven was hot last night - maybe a bit too hot. It was pushing 1000F if not a bit north of that at first. The pies were baking in 40-45 seconds. I think I prefer 55-60 seconds. The dough was 62%. I think 60.5-61% is about ideal for me. The pies were certainly very tender and melted in your mouth though.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1544 on: March 23, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
The last pie above is melted butter, cinnamon sugar, and then iced (powdered sugar, milk, vanilla) post-bake. The family liked it. To me, it looks better than it tastes. Probably not something I'd make again.
Pizza is not bread.

Online dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1545 on: March 23, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
The Garage (and Craig) is back!   I've been having major Garage withdrawal for 2014 so this is a great fix.    Love the pies, was the spinach in pie#2 applied prebake?   Also, I seem to recall at some point you mentioned you're using a food mill for tomatoes, is that correct?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1546 on: March 23, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »
The Garage (and Craig) is back!   I've been having major Garage withdrawal for 2014 so this is a great fix. 

^^^

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1547 on: March 23, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
The Garage (and Craig) is back!   I've been having major Garage withdrawal for 2014 so this is a great fix.    Love the pies, was the spinach in pie#2 applied prebake?   Also, I seem to recall at some point you mentioned you're using a food mill for tomatoes, is that correct?

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the spinach was added pre-bake. Inspired by this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30522.msg307777#msg307777, it's fresh mozz, parm, and sliced grlic under the spinach with some evoo, salt, and pepper on top. Lemon juice added post bake. It was fun watching the spinach wilt down as the crust rose up at about the same speed. It's a really good pie and one I will make often going forward. Maybe with some bacon next time.  ;D

I do generally use food mill with the coarse plate for the sauce - rather I should say my son does as he usually makes this sauce. In this case, I did, and I used a stick blender.  :-[
Pizza is not bread.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #1548 on: March 23, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
I totally agree! Love seeing some recent pies!!! Keep them coming Craig!

Online bakeshack

« Reply #1549 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »
Awesome pies, Craig!   It seems like you haven't been making pizzas lately but the results are just as good as before! 

Marlon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1550 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Awesome pies, Craig!   It seems like you haven't been making pizzas lately but the results are just as good as before! 

Marlon

Thanks Marlon. Yes, it's been a while. With the unusually cold weather, the Garage was overtaken by the pineapples.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline parallei

« Reply #1551 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:47 PM »
Beautiful as always Craig.  I particularly like your take on John D's "con erbe".

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1552 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Beautiful as always Craig.  I particularly like your take on John D's "con erbe".

Thanks Paul. It's one of my favorite pies. That one was made with regular fresh mozz. It's so much better with buffalo, I almost don't want to dishonor it by using regular.

The chives in my garden are going crazy right now. I like about 3" of overhang over the edge of the pie, and I had to cut about 6" off the other end.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1553 on: March 23, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »
Craig,

Great looking pies!  You sure didn't loose your touch.   :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1554 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:57 AM »
Oven was hot last night - maybe a bit too hot. It was pushing 1000F if not a bit north of that at first. The pies were baking in 40-45 seconds. I think I prefer 55-60 seconds. The dough was 62%. I think 60.5-61% is about ideal for me. The pies were certainly very tender and melted in your mouth though.

Hi Craig, pies look stunning as always. Why do you say that range is your preference, what would 3-4% more hydration have in terms of effect in final dough? Also what about salt, what would increasing salt from 3% to 5% have on final products.

Cheers

Stefano

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #1555 on: March 24, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the spinach was added pre-bake. Inspired by this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30522.msg307777#msg307777, it's fresh mozz, parm, and sliced grlic under the spinach with some evoo, salt, and pepper on top. Lemon juice added post bake. It was fun watching the spinach wilt down as the crust rose up at about the same speed. It's a really good pie and one I will make often going forward. Maybe with some bacon next time.  ;D

I do generally use food mill with the coarse plate for the sauce - rather I should say my son does as he usually makes this sauce. In this case, I did, and I used a stick blender.  :-[

Spinach pie looks fantastic, I would suggest going even heavier on the spinach leaves next time as they wilt down to nothing . Wish I could have that for lunch! Hope you liked it as much as I do

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1556 on: March 24, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »
Spinach pie looks fantastic, I would suggest going even heavier on the spinach leaves next time as they wilt down to nothing . Wish I could have that for lunch! Hope you liked it as much as I do

Yes - even more next time. As it was, I thought they were going to fly off the pile during the launch!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #1557 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
Yes - even more next time. As it was, I thought they were going to fly off the pile during the launch!

I've definitely done that, usually why I make it the last pie of the night  :-D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1558 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
All's swell...looking good there young man.  8)

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1559 on: March 24, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »
All's swell...looking good there young man.  8)

CB

Feeling good Billy Ray.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan