Author Topic: Drain the can of crushed tomatoes?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline tjkoko

Drain the can of crushed tomatoes?
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »
For my pizza sauce (I'm a rank beginner) I will be using a can of Tutto Rosso Crushed Tomatoes.  Should the mixture be drained prior to use?  Is this idea mostly a personal preference or what?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:20:25 AM by tjkoko »
Home bread baker for 10 years.

Offline tjkoko

Re: Drain the can of crushed tomatos?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Drain the can of crushed tomatoes?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
For what it's worth, about a year ago I did some taste testing of a variety of canned crushed tomatoes and Tuttorosso were among the absolute worst I tested. They are almost a puree rather than the consistency of normal crushed tomatoes. They are also very dark in color and they have a very nasty taste from the basil that is added. The basil flavor totally overwhelms the tomato flavor. Do yourself a favor and shop around for some better options. An Italian import store is a good place to look. I especially like a brand called "Sclafani", but even Walmarts Great Value tomatoes are far superior to Tuttorosso.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
It depends on the particular can of tomatoes. You gotta taste every single can.

Many cans of tomatoes, even from quality manufacturers, have a puree which tends to have a slight metallic, or "tinny", note to it. In this instance, I  just pour the entire can of tomatoes through a colander and then rinse the tomatoes with water as well. Then let them sit and drain a bit before making sauce.

Dumping off the puree from a can of whole, caned tomatoes is not an uncommon practice at commercial pizzerias of high repute.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:15:55 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
Pizzablogger, he was asking about crushed tomatoes, not whole! :chef:

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
@dmcavanagh:

Thanks for the heads up but I may just opt for whole canned tomatoes, then drain them before running them thru a food mill.  And really Tuttorosso comes across a bit like Poopoo excuse me Papa Johns pizza sauce.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
Pizzablogger, he was asking about crushed tomatoes, not whole! :chef:

D'oh.....and DUH!

Thanks for the correction DMC  :-[ :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:03 AM »
Some really good info there K.  Always glad to know what the commercial guys are doing.

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »
Following a 20 minute drain of a 28 oz can of HUNT'S CRUSHED TOMATOES, I must state that the Hunt's product tastes head and shoulders above the Tuttorosso.  And the Hunt's is unseasoned, no added oregano nor basil.  Comapred to the Tuttososso, the Hunt's comes across really bright.  Really bright.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:27:08 PM by tjkoko »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
@tjkoko, don't stop at Hunt's, you can do way better! How did you drain them, Through a piece of cheesecloth would be my approach

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »
Thru a fine sieve.

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:54:07 AM »
While I'm quite aware of the rave reviews for 6 in 1's, Hunt's is more accessible to me.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
I tried a few different style cans of Hunts and they went into the trash.Absolutely awful,bitter,and no where near the level I'm searching for.Even their whole peeled plum tomatoes in the can,that I crushed myself,were not ideal for pizza.

If you can make the Hunts work for you,then by all means do it.What happened with myself,I spent alot of money and did experiments.I was buying every brand of can I could find from all the stores.Little by little I narrowed them down.I bought store brands,generics,and some top of the line stuff.

What I thought was decent in the beginning is now crap for pizza to use today.I'm still learning as I go,I'm still going to try new stuff as time goes by.I know how frustrating it can be when you are limited to what is in the stores.Mail order can be scary since you don't want to order a whole bunch of stuff you may not like.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
I forgot to add,when I made sauces with crushed tomatoes,I use the whole can and season to taste.
I don't strain or drain the can.Some cans of crushed are not the same as others.Dm pointed out that some cans that say Crushed,come out more of a puree that true crushed.Watch out for those.

One of my favorite cans is made by Centos.It is not crushed,so I have to do that myself.The store I buy it from does not carry the crush version,just the puree or the whole peeled tomatoes.The puree is excellent too.I do hope to buy a crushed version someday.

Anyways,the can I like,It is Centos Italian style whole peeled tomatoes with basil leaf in the puree inside the can.I dump the entire can into a bowl and I crush the tomatoes up.It is fantastic,smells wonderful and has a very nice tomato-y taste to it.The puree is great as well.

Crushing the tomatoes does make it a little more watery.If thats a problem,You can take the tomatoes out of the can,then crush them in another bowl,then add them back to the puree in the can to avoid the excess water.Then dump it all into a new bowl and salt/season to taste.

I know this is a little off the subject,but sometimes you can make a better sauce when you can crush the whole peeled tomatoes yourself.

:)

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »
@chickenparm

I have Cento crushed tomatoes, they are very good, but not in the outstanding category. Here's an interesting note. Cento sells two different crushed tomatoes. One is labeled "all purpose", the other is labeled "all-in-one". The ones labeled "all-in-one" are a chunckier consistency than the "all purpose". To make matters more confusing, the all purpose just lists"fresh red ripe tomatoes" as the ingredients. The "all-in-one" lists the ingredients as "fresh red ripe tomatoes,tomato puree, salt, naturally derived citric acid".  ???

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
Geeeeeeeeeeeze.  LOUISE, H E L P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
Oh and one more thing.  As a former teacher of Health Science at the community college level, the first thing taught to my pupils was READ THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS.   Some out there have no idea as to all the "health" products that contain ephedra!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
@chickenparm

I have Cento crushed tomatoes, they are very good, but not in the outstanding category. Here's an interesting note. Cento sells two different crushed tomatoes. One is labeled "all purpose", the other is labeled "all-in-one". The ones labeled "all-in-one" are a chunckier consistency than the "all purpose". To make matters more confusing, the all purpose just lists"fresh red ripe tomatoes" as the ingredients. The "all-in-one" lists the ingredients as "fresh red ripe tomatoes,tomato puree, salt, naturally derived citric acid".  ???

Is that an old quote of mine from another topic?

One of my favorites is the Centos Italian style whole peeled version.I'm not talking about them already crushed in the cans.The crushed are good,yes,but not outstanding to me like the Italian style whole peeled.I do want to buy the crush version again sometime to do some back to back taste testing,but I'm not sure if I want to mail order it.I cant find anyone around here that sells it locally.

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
@chickenparm

It was only very recently that the Cento crushed tomatoes showed up in my local grocery stores, so be on the look out. I have a can of the Cento whole tomatoes of which you speak. Although I use crushed most of the time for my sauce making and pizza topping, I will give the whole tomatoes a try.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
I just recently started saving my old cans after use.I have bought so much stuff,tried so many different products,I sometimes forget what it was I bought and used.
 :-D

Back to the subject,I wanted to post,walmarts great value crushed tomatoes in the can is pretty good.I dont drain that either,I just spice it up some.I like it better than Hunts,DelMonte and other store brands I have tried.Its also very easy to get at any wally world,especially in my areas.

-Bill

pizzapan