Author Topic: Santos Mixer  (Read 22641 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Santos Mixer
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2005, 08:05:45 PM »
Barbecue is my first pasion and falls second to pizza.  And like pizza, it is better to make your own barbecue sauce to suit your taste.  Maybe I could help you get started on the pitcooking site.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2005, 11:45:20 PM »
Thanks Bill.Just back from vacation,so sorry for the late response.!
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40:10 PM »
Hi All,

Just got my Santos mixer shipped in yesterday...it looks super heavy duty.  I'll post some comparative results after my next pizza blowout.

Bill, any pointers or problems I should know about?

Thanks,

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
Hi All,

Just got my Santos mixer shipped in yesterday...it looks super heavy duty.  I'll post some comparative results after my next pizza blowout.

Bill, any pointers or problems I should know about?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Although not recommended for safety reasons, I have disabled the interlock on the plastic cover so that I can add ingredients and play around with the dough while the fork is spinning. Don't underestimate the power of the fork. The fork and a wooden spoon once met and the spoon lost. :(

You will love your new mixer. I use it for all kinds of doughs. Let me know if you need any help.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Matthew

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
Dan,

Although not recommended for safety reasons, I have disabled the interlock on the plastic cover so that I can add ingredients and play around with the dough while the fork is spinning. Don't underestimate the power of the fork. The fork and a wooden spoon once met and the spoon lost. :(

You will love your new mixer. I use it for all kinds of doughs. Let me know if you need any help.

Bill/SFNM

Hi Bill,
How did you do this?  I'm assuming that you put something in the hole that continually keeps the activation/deactivation button depressed.

Matt

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »
Hi Bill,
How did you do this?  I'm assuming that you put something in the hole that continually keeps the activation/deactivation button depressed.

Matt

I cut a thick bamboo skewer to length, placed it in the interlock tube and used a velcro strap to keep it in place.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
a pen cap fits perfectly into mine, and holds itself in there with the taper. 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
Bill & Scott,
Thanks alot, I really appreciate it.  I was going to use a dowel, but I tried the the pen cap & it works great.  I may need some more help as I get acquainted with this monster.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
I have been using my Santos mixer for a couple of weeks now, & I must say it's quite a transition going from a Cuisinart SM-70 to this monster.  I haven't done up any batches using Caputo yet.  My WFO construction starts next week, so hopefully soon. ;D  I have been kneading High Gluten NY Style Dough @ about 64% hydration & I must say that it's quite a challenge with this dough & this volume.  Although the results are excellent, the Santos requires quite a bit of help as this style dough tends to ball as oppose to a Caputo dough which remains much more wet.  Apart from increasing my batch does anyone who owns this mixer have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
It is really important to get the speed of the bowl rotation right, especially when using higher gluten flours.  When I start getting the dough to rise up the hook (which happens very quickly even when slowly adding high gluten flour) I tend to have to spin the bowl faster than it wants to go even without any of the brake engaged.  I personally do not think this is a very good mixer for high gluten flour, but it can do amazing things with all purpose or Italian 00 flours.  You might want to switch to something like this then work your way back if if you find the need to do so.   This mixer is so fast and powerful at developing gluten that you may find you prefer a lower protein flour.  Good luck. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:02:24 AM by scott r »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
It is really important to get the speed of the bowl rotation right, especially as gluten contents rise.  When I start getting the dough to rise up the hook (which happens very quickly even when slowly adding high gluten flour) I tend to have to spin the bowl faster than it wants to go even without any of the brake engaged.  I personally do not think this is a very good mixer for high gluten flour, but it can do amazing things with all purpose or Italian 00 flours.  You might want to switch to something like this then work your way back if if you find the need to do so.   This mixer is so fast and powerful at developing gluten that you may find you prefer a lower protein flour.  Good luck. 

Thanks Scott, I thought that it was just me.  It requires a bit of help for HG dough but still does an amazing job.

Matt

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:52 PM »
I think that most mixers perform best at or almost at capacity.Mixing small amounts is tedious.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Matthew

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »
I think that most mixers perform best at or almost at capacity.Mixing small amounts is tedious.

I guess I'll have to increase the size of my family :-\

Online widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:26 AM »
Matthew,  I found it quicker and very easy to invite more friends,  once the word gets out,  you shouldn't have any problems using up your dough.  Besides,  flour is relatively cheap,  and making larger batches is still cheaper than buying it in the stores,  even if you don't use it all.  You can always use it up making some rolls or something.  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »
Matthew,  I found it quicker and very easy to invite more friends,  once the word gets out,  you shouldn't have any problems using up your dough.  Besides,  flour is relatively cheap,  and making larger batches is still cheaper than buying it in the stores,  even if you don't use it all.  You can always use it up making some rolls or something.  -marc

Ya summer's always a party at my place with the pool & all.  Now with the addition of a WFO I'm sure I'll be doing lots of entertaining.  Our summer's short in Canada so we enjoy every ounce of good weather we get.
 8)
Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
although I have done batches starting with 1.5 liter (1500g) of water (which is the machines rated max batch size), I find the sweet spot to be a batch starting with 1liter (1000g) of water.   It doesn't really work too well with batches based on 500g or less.   Im curious to find out if other Santos users have found these same numbers to be true.

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 03:57:34 AM »
Hi,
I am seriously considering spendig A LOT of money on a santos mixer. I just wondered if anyone knows if there is a difference between the Santos 10qt and the Metcalfe DK12? The metcalfe mixer is also a santos, and from the specs it is identical to the santos 10qt mixer, but it says 12qt, not 10qt..

http://www.metcalfecatering.com/items.aspx?pt=cat2

-josteh-

Offline Matthew

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 06:14:10 AM »
Hi,
I am seriously considering spendig A LOT of money on a santos mixer. I just wondered if anyone knows if there is a difference between the Santos 10qt and the Metcalfe DK12? The metcalfe mixer is also a santos, and from the specs it is identical to the santos 10qt mixer, but it says 12qt, not 10qt..

http://www.metcalfecatering.com/items.aspx?pt=cat2

-josteh-

It's the same thing.

Matt

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
The Santos arrived today. It´s a beast.

j.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member