Author Topic: Santos Mixer  (Read 24418 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Santos Mixer
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
It is really important to get the speed of the bowl rotation right, especially as gluten contents rise.  When I start getting the dough to rise up the hook (which happens very quickly even when slowly adding high gluten flour) I tend to have to spin the bowl faster than it wants to go even without any of the brake engaged.  I personally do not think this is a very good mixer for high gluten flour, but it can do amazing things with all purpose or Italian 00 flours.  You might want to switch to something like this then work your way back if if you find the need to do so.   This mixer is so fast and powerful at developing gluten that you may find you prefer a lower protein flour.  Good luck. 

Thanks Scott, I thought that it was just me.  It requires a bit of help for HG dough but still does an amazing job.

Matt

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:52 PM »
I think that most mixers perform best at or almost at capacity.Mixing small amounts is tedious.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Matthew

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »
I think that most mixers perform best at or almost at capacity.Mixing small amounts is tedious.

I guess I'll have to increase the size of my family :-\

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:26 AM »
Matthew,  I found it quicker and very easy to invite more friends,  once the word gets out,  you shouldn't have any problems using up your dough.  Besides,  flour is relatively cheap,  and making larger batches is still cheaper than buying it in the stores,  even if you don't use it all.  You can always use it up making some rolls or something.  -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »
Matthew,  I found it quicker and very easy to invite more friends,  once the word gets out,  you shouldn't have any problems using up your dough.  Besides,  flour is relatively cheap,  and making larger batches is still cheaper than buying it in the stores,  even if you don't use it all.  You can always use it up making some rolls or something.  -marc

Ya summer's always a party at my place with the pool & all.  Now with the addition of a WFO I'm sure I'll be doing lots of entertaining.  Our summer's short in Canada so we enjoy every ounce of good weather we get.
 8)
Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
although I have done batches starting with 1.5 liter (1500g) of water (which is the machines rated max batch size), I find the sweet spot to be a batch starting with 1liter (1000g) of water.   It doesn't really work too well with batches based on 500g or less.   Im curious to find out if other Santos users have found these same numbers to be true.

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 03:57:34 AM »
Hi,
I am seriously considering spendig A LOT of money on a santos mixer. I just wondered if anyone knows if there is a difference between the Santos 10qt and the Metcalfe DK12? The metcalfe mixer is also a santos, and from the specs it is identical to the santos 10qt mixer, but it says 12qt, not 10qt..

http://www.metcalfecatering.com/items.aspx?pt=cat2

-josteh-

Offline Matthew

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 06:14:10 AM »
Hi,
I am seriously considering spendig A LOT of money on a santos mixer. I just wondered if anyone knows if there is a difference between the Santos 10qt and the Metcalfe DK12? The metcalfe mixer is also a santos, and from the specs it is identical to the santos 10qt mixer, but it says 12qt, not 10qt..

http://www.metcalfecatering.com/items.aspx?pt=cat2

-josteh-

It's the same thing.

Matt

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
The Santos arrived today. It´s a beast.

j.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 01:11:57 AM »
just wanted to remind everyone that my santos mixer is for sale

Offline homeslice

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:30 PM »
If anyone knows how to get in touch with Scott, I'd like to buy his Santos mixer, if it's still available...  I've been trying to pm him but his inbox is full.  Thanks!

Ryan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
oops, sorry, I didn't even know the box was full.   Emptying now