Author Topic: Any Ideas to Help me turn my Weber Grill into a Pizza Oven?  (Read 24409 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Re: Any Ideas to Help me turn my Weber Grill into a Pizza Oven?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
how about attaching the top cordierite disc to the inside of the weber dome?  would it last if only supported at the perimeter?  you could cut a window into the metal top below that stone for loading and size the stone so it would be 3" above the deck. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
IIRC,  this is similar to what the first 2stone cookers employed, except they moved the burner.  The burner was adjustable from a position near the center of the stone, to a position near the edge (rear) of the stone that forced alot of air up to the "dome".  Same difference I guess.

Norma, I have looked at the old 10stone (mine) again.  6" is to high.  Like scott's picture above the roof (dome) must be on a hinge.  Let the dome (top stone) get up to temperature, raise the lid, load the pizza and put the top lid back down.  That being said, it does matter exactly what type of pizza you want to cook.  I am asuming that your wanting to cook alot of neo. pizzas, (caputo) will be the most needy of the top heat that I want you to make sure that you have available.  That is not to say that a 6" dome height would not work perfectly well for a dough that you are currently using at market.

Just my .02

Gene,

Thanks for looking at your old 10 stone again.  If 6" is too high, what clearance do you recommend if I want to try and make Caputo pies?  I know I am not understanding all of this right, but why do you need a hinged lid?  Why canít some kind of dome (either flat or rounded), be made of refractory cement/mortar and perlite?  I will get Steve to look at your post and see if he understands.  I really donít understand how heat works in different set-ups and mods.

Thanks so much for helping.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tman1

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
It occurred to me, if you're looking for cheap, easy, and a testing point, why don't you consider a small brick oven? No sand or mortar in mine.... and I could've gone smaller if I'd known what I know now (that I only cook one pizza at a time).
I've tried 5 times to add pictures or post a link.... I don't have this much trouble with pics on other forums.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yopmB3DvDGD4U8pYF3XADjby8QDZfs4D5XTnhwnxjps?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dim9ww5O8v7eg81M4Sx7q9hy4VeCrTMC1zrUwJOMuvM?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:52:21 PM by Tman1 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »

Tman, I use this to post pictures.
http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

It occurred to me, if you're looking for cheap, easy, and a testing point, why don't you consider a small brick oven? No sand or mortar in mine.... and I could've gone smaller if I'd known what I know now (that I only cook one pizza at a time).
I've tried 5 times to add pictures or post a link.... I don't have this much trouble with pics on other forums.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yopmB3DvDGD4U8pYF3XADjby8QDZfs4D5XTnhwnxjps?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dim9ww5O8v7eg81M4Sx7q9hy4VeCrTMC1zrUwJOMuvM?feat=directlink

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
Gene,

Thanks for looking at your old 10 stone again.  If 6" is too high, what clearance do you recommend if I want to try and make Caputo pies?  I know I am not understanding all of this right, but why do you need a hinged lid?  Why canít some kind of dome (either flat or rounded), be made of refractory cement/mortar and perlite?  I will get Steve to look at your post and see if he understands.  I really donít understand how heat works in different set-ups and mods.

Thanks so much for helping.  :)

Norma

You are more than welcome, Norma. 3" would be a good starting point for the top heat necessary for a propane fired black egg for caputo flour neo. pizzas from my experience.  If there was only a 3" gap to load the pizza onto the bottom stone, I'm not sure if you could maneuver the peel and get it off with so little space.  That is why I suggested the hinged lid, not absolutely necessary, but probably a good idea.  I am sure that some kind of refractory recipe can be used for the roof (dome) but I have no experience with those materials in this application.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
It occurred to me, if you're looking for cheap, easy, and a testing point, why don't you consider a small brick oven? No sand or mortar in mine.... and I could've gone smaller if I'd known what I know now

She has a deck oven, she has access to a very nice WFO, and wants a propane fired egg to cook with.  She wants something like alot of others have built to cook some hi-temp pizzas in it.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
how about attaching the top cordierite disc to the inside of the weber dome?  would it last if only supported at the perimeter?  you could cut a window into the metal top below that stone for loading and size the stone so it would be 3" above the deck. 

Bill,

I have no idea if you idea would work or not, but it sounds like it would work to me.  The reason I started this thread was to see what other members experiences were with a 22.5" Weber grill or what kind of ideas any member could come up with that might work.  I donít know, but think Steve and I might need to test some of these ideas to see what works best.  Steve knows a lot more than I do.  If we ever get the Weber to work like I want it too, at least other members might be able to do something similiar.

Thanks so much for your help, too!  :)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

Tman1,

Sorry you are having problems with posting pictures or a link. Steve uses the same picture resizer  Don uses and really likes it.  I really like your idea, but if Steve and I can get the Weber mod to work, Steve and I might want to take it to other markets, festivals, or maybe parties.  I am not sure what all would be involved with that, but I do have a food license.  I need something that either I could taken apart or lifted to be able to taken away.  As Gene posted I do have a deck oven at market and Steve has a WFO he built.  I really like Steveís WFO and how it bakes a pizza much better than my deck oven.  If I wanted to go with a outdoor oven at home, an idea like yours would be great.

Thanks!  :)

Norma

Offline Tman1

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »
ahhh, yes, mine is not very portable or NSF approved.   :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
You are more than welcome, Norma. 3" would be a good starting point for the top heat necessary for a propane fired black egg for caputo flour neo. pizzas from my experience.  If there was only a 3" gap to load the pizza onto the bottom stone, I'm not sure if you could maneuver the peel and get it off with so little space.  That is why I suggested the hinged lid, not absolutely necessary, but probably a good idea.  I am sure that some kind of refractory recipe can be used for the roof (dome) but I have no experience with those materials in this application.

Gene,

Thanks again for your help!  :) I donít know if I can load a pie with a 3" clearance, but know my clearance in my deck oven where I load the pies is only 4".  I can understand that a 3" clearance would probably be necessary for a propane fired black egg, if I want to make Caputo pies.  I can understand now why you suggested a hinged lid.  Steve has mixed refractory mixes before, so maybe he can work okay with those materials.  I purchased a glass board today, maybe to use as a form for a lip or something else.

Norma

Offline patflynn

• Chicago Thin and Crackery is where its at!
    • State Street Pizza Kitchen
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
Norma-

I have 1 weber 22.5 that I bought off craigslist and am hoping to make a cart with 2 of them to do private parties. I dont do Neo pies though, so my results and temp needs will be different. I plan to attempt to make some sort of coating on the inside of the lid for insulation. Hopefully I will start my build soon.
Making the leap to Pizza Professional from the Amateur Ranks

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Norma-

I have 1 weber 22.5 that I bought off craigslist and am hoping to make a cart with 2 of them to do private parties. I dont do Neo pies though, so my results and temp needs will be different. I plan to attempt to make some sort of coating on the inside of the lid for insulation. Hopefully I will start my build soon.

patflynn,

Great you also bought a 22" Weber and are going to make a cart with 2 of them to do private parties.  I will be watching your build to see how you use some sort of coating on the inside lid for insulation.  Best of luck with your builds!   :)

If you donít want to make Neapolitan pies in your 22" Weber, there are many ways here on the forum to be able to convert your Weber or another kind of grill.  I donít know if you saw my friend (Ev) Steveís portable oven, but it is here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14444.0.html  Steve makes delicious NY style pizzas and other kinds of pizza in that oven.  I think he is going to tinker around with that oven more, when he has time.

Steve is now working on his WFO at Reply 87 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11155.msg146597.html#msg146597 and after he is finished with that, we will start working on my 22" Weber to try and convert it into something that can bake Neopolitan pies.  I think, but donít know that Steve and I are going to try to use the refractory cement with perlite.  Steve already purchased the refractory cement for me. 

Norma

Offline patflynn

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2011, 03:39:53 PM »
Norma, that is awesome thanks for the link to that other thread.

Good part of this board is that it is so active, bad part is I cant keep up!

I will definitely be posting build pics and will keep you apprised of the progress. Since I do Chicago Style Thin Crust style pizzas I am not looking for WFO, or Neo type times or results which, I think, will make my build a bit easier.

Pat

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
Norma, that is awesome thanks for the link to that other thread.

Good part of this board is that it is so active, bad part is I cant keep up!

I will definitely be posting build pics and will keep you apprised of the progress. Since I do Chicago Style Thin Crust style pizzas I am not looking for WFO, or Neo type times or results which, I think, will make my build a bit easier.

Pat

Pat,

Youíre welcome anytime.  I have been on this forum for a little over two years, and I also have trouble keeping up with all the new posts, and looking though past posts to find what I want to find. 

It will be interesting to see your progress and the pizzas you bake on your grills.  I donít even know if anyone makes Chicago Thin Style on a pizza grill, but it will be interesting to see how it can be done!  :)

Norma

Offline patflynn

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »
I hope I can get the same/similar results without too much tinkering with the recipe. I do plan on working on a new crust as well. I recently went to Pizzeria Mozza in LA and loved their crust, so I have something to shoot for as far as taste and texture go.

Pat

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
I hope I can get the same/similar results without too much tinkering with the recipe. I do plan on working on a new crust as well. I recently went to Pizzeria Mozza in LA and loved their crust, so I have something to shoot for as far as taste and texture go.

Pat

Pat,

I never tried a Pizza Mozza formula before, but if you want to see where foolishpoolish gave a link on making a Pizza Mozza dough, he posted the link at Reply 75 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12556.msg121392.html#msg121392 I think, but am not sure,  jkuo010 was trying to make a Pizza Mozza pizza in that thread.  Peter was trying to help jkuo010 to understand what he was trying achieve.  I posted a link to a recipe for pizza mozza dough at Reply 42 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12556.msg120842.html#msg120842 but donít really think that is the recipe that Pizza Mozza is using.  If you look at Pizza Quest on the episodes about Pizza Mozza, you can get an idea how the dough is made and also how the pizzas look at these links, if that is one kind of pizza you are looking to recreate. http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/webisodes/43-webisodes/142-nancy-and-mozza.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/webisodes/43-webisodes/152-webisode-8-osteria-mozza.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/webisodes/43-webisodes/166-webisode-9-pizzeria-mozza-finale.html

Norma

Offline patflynn

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
Awesome, thanks Norma-

I really need to get a bit more accurate, and good about notations with my dough formulas. I do manage to stay in the same neighborhood with my dough, even with my inconsistency, but I think I could nail it all the time if I was to do it the same exact way every single time. It is the most important part of the pizza. We have a place here in town that thinks by loading mounds of toppings it will take care of their sub par crust. I get told time and time again that people would like that place, but their crust is horrid/cardboard/inedible. Its all in the crust!

Pat

Offline patflynn

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »
oh and to return to topic, I got my second kettle last night. Operation Dueling Kettle Ovens can begin! Since everything on this forum has an abbreviation I will call it DKO...

Pre build pics to follow...

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
oh and to return to topic, I got my second kettle last night. Operation Dueling Kettle Ovens can begin! Since everything on this forum has an abbreviation I will call it DKO...

I really need to get a bit more accurate, and good about notations with my dough formulas. I do manage to stay in the same neighborhood with my dough, even with my inconsistency, but I think I could nail it all the time if I was to do it the same exact way every single time. It is the most important part of the pizza. We have a place here in town that thinks by loading mounds of toppings it will take care of their sub par crust. I get told time and time again that people would like that place, but their crust is horrid/cardboard/inedible. Its all in the crust!

Pat

Pat,

Trying to be consistent will help you understand your doughs better.  It least that method does help me to understand if something if wrong with my dough or final pizzas.  Each variable can change dough.  I also agree if the crust isnít good, the whole pizza wonít be any good.

Best of luck with both of your Dueling Kettles!  DKO is a good name for them.  Looking forward to your builds.  :)

Norma

Offline texmex

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34:30 AM »

Gotta love this site! 
I also can't keep up and I'm all over the place.
It's an adventure here that never ends.

..and I got a good chuckle out of your DKO abbreviation.
Can't wait to see what Norma and Steve come up with for their 22" LBE build as well. 
Reesa