Author Topic: Ask the Dough Doctor  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Ask the Dough Doctor
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
Tom "The Dough Doctor" Lehmann has recently joined our forum and has graciously agreed to moderate his very own board bere.

Tom Lehmann has been employed by the American Institute of Baking since 1965. In his early years with the AIB, he was responsible for directing the operations of the Experimental Baking Group. He took an interest in pizza in about 1967, when he was contracted to reverse engineer a popular pizza being produced in Chicago, Illinois. He was soon recognized as the local "pizza expert" on the AIB staff. Shortly afterward, he made his first pizza service call to John's Pizza, the first wholesale pizza manufacturer in the U.S.

In 1979, Lehmann wrote his first publication on pizza for the AIB, and has since written several more in addition to writing monthly articles for Pizza Marketing Quarterly ("In Lehmann's Terms"), Pizza Today ("The Dough Doctor"), and Bellissimo Foods News Letter ("The Doctor is In"). Additionally, he writes a number of articles for International publications and participates in Pizza Expo and the PMQ Pizza Shows annually. He has provided technical assistance to most of the large wholesale pizza manufacturers, pizza chains, and a good many of the smaller independent operators. He also conducts at least three pizza seminars for the AIB every year, in addition to many special pizza seminars developed for clients on a contract basis. He is familiar with all types of pizza/pizza production, and has most recently been providing the industry with assistance on the newly popular "bake to rise" pizza concept.

So, everyone please welcome Tom to PizzaMaking.com!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Ask the Dough Doctor
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »
Tom,

It was your many writings that got me started on my "pizza learning" journey several years ago, so I thank you for that and welcome you aboard.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
Tom,

I also have benefited from all of your articles, answers to posts I have made on PMQTT and PMs you helped me with.  A big welcome to the forum.  :chef: Glad to have you here!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »
Welcome aboard Doc. Do you make house calls? If you do, expect to be a busy man! :-D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »
Doc,

You are a great addition to this board and I have a feeling that your own board will become the busiest to date. Be prepared.  ;)

Either way, I am looking forward to your contributions. Now,...if we could get Evelyne Slomon back on here, too, and posting... it would be icing on the cake.

Welcome to the board.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »
Mr. T,
Welcome aboard...

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 02:45:38 AM »
How cool is that??!!

Welcome, Mr. Lehmann.

The folks here on this forum are passionate and a wealth of knowledge in their own right. You'll fit right in, sir. I've learned a whole lot from these friends over the years, and I'm looking forward to learning from you too.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
Welcome Doctor  :pizza: :chef:
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline texmex

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
 8)

sweet!
Reesa

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
Welcome, sir.  We are now legit! 

Pizza01

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »
welcome doctor.  :)

Offline SCOOZ233

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Hello I am new to this forum as well as making Pizzas.  I have been in the restaurant business for many years and recently purchased a restaurant/bar that features a wood fired oven.  I have no experience in the wood fired pizza aspect of the business and any help or recommendations would be Greatly Appreciated.  I am looking for a good dough and sauce recipe or several to try out and see what works best for me before I take the business over.  Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Mark

Offline Jerry Snyder

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
Doctor,

I have never made a good pizza. I am at the infant stage and not even crawing yet.

After living in Italy for years, coming to San Anonio Texas, the pizza leaves to be desired, except for Dough Pizzeria.

I would like to start off on a good footing, maybe you can offer one piece of advice:

I need a good basic recipe, but don't know where to look. I love flatter crusts like in Italy. Not paper thin, but chewy and airry.

Could you direct me to place for a recipe? Book, website, magazine?

Thank you

Jerry Snyder
Lost in San Antonio