Author Topic: This Forum Cured My Fear of Yeast!  (Read 553 times)

Offline gothamgirl

This Forum Cured My Fear of Yeast!
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »
This is one of the most informative, and intelligent forums I have ever come across.  I am an amateur baker, mostly of desserts, and this forum not only gave me the courage to try baking a homemade pizza, but the precise recipes found here are spot-on, and largely foolproof.  I also like the interaction and give-and-take of the members here, all working toward a common goal.
I live in New York City, with its myriad of pizzas, both good and bad. I am, however, a native of Detroit, Michigan, with its very specific type of square pizza.  The recipes I have found in these forums has enabled me to replicate my favorite pizza, and to continue to perfect a formula over time.  Thanks to everyone here for their expertise.  I look forward to interacting with you all in the forums.
nan (gothamgirl)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: This Forum Cured My Fear of Yeast!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
Welcome!  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »
gothamgirl,

Welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity, can you tell us which recipes you found on the forum that worked out for you?

Peter

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
A Detroit transplant living in NYC and baking Detroit style pizza.  That doesn't happen much  ;D

Let me guess, you live in Manhattan? Living in Brooklyn or Queens, with those kind of pizza options, I think you would quickly have forgotten about your beloved Detroit pizza  >:D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:17:54 PM by scott123 »

Offline gothamgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »
Pete-zza, The recipe I like is PizzaHog's from the "Detroit Style" Buddy's or Shield's" thread. It turned out great, esp. brushing the pan with peanut oil for that great crunch. Also solving the mystery of the type of cheese used in the crust was genius.

Scott123, I never said there wasn't great pizza in New York, it's delish, but you always crave what you cannot get readily, don't you?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
gothamgirl,

When I was working on the Jet's reverse engineering project, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.0.html, I found myself learning more about the Buddy's pizza also, given the similarities of the two pizzas and the way that they are baked (using conveyor ovens). I came to the conclusion that Hog's dough formulation was perhaps the closest to the Buddy's dough/pizza.

Peter