Author Topic: tah-dah! Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes!  (Read 2286 times)

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
tah-dah! Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes!
« on: June 03, 2005, 10:15:49 PM »
Found a new (to me) restaurant supply store in Winston Salem today: Chef Smart. Bought myself two pizza screens, a 12" and a 14" and got a big can of the much touted Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes! Big smile on my face now!

They had some different brands of mozzarella cheese that I didn't recognize. But I may give them a try next time I am over there. It's an hour's drive for me, but YES, I will be back over there.

Pyegal

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: tah-dah! Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:26:20 PM »
pyegal, I have been trying all the foodservice mozzarella I can find.  Let me know what they have and I might be able to give you some insight.

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
Re: tah-dah! Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 12:47:14 PM »
Opened up the Escalon tomatoes this morning to make some sauces for the freezer. They are indeed everything that all of you said of them - rich, deep, tomato-y flavor, in a thick puree. The Chef Smart store only had the crushed version.

I've made some meat sauce for pasta with half the can and will make some pizza sauce with the rest of it. Both of the sauces will be frozen, as that is just easier for me when I want to pull out a small container of sauce and make one pizza or one serving of pasta for dinner. It is  too hot here now for weekly pizza baking. But I don't want to waste that can of tomatoes, so I'll make a cooked pizza sauce to freeze.

Next time I'll buy more than just one can! Ha!

pyegal