Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 270 times)

Offline ggrashow

Introduction
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
Hi.......Been making lots of pizza dough at home for a couple of years and the more I make, the less satisfied I am with the crust.  My home is in New Hampshire and I share it with my wife and 3 year old weimararner.  When I look at the list of pizza styles described in the forum, I'm thinking that we fall in the American style.  I've been striving for a soft dough, not thick, and not cracker-like.  Seems that I've tried just about everything.  When I get dough from a pizzaria, it's just much better.  Our Viking gas oven hits 500 F, no problem.  Most of the time I use a stone, but sometimes I use a screen on the bottom oven rack.  Is it possible to make great dough at home without making 40 lbs at a time?

Ready to try something new........Gary

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
Hi.......Been making lots of pizza dough at home for a couple of years and the more I make, the less satisfied I am with the crust.  My home is in New Hampshire and I share it with my wife and 3 year old weimararner.  When I look at the list of pizza styles described in the forum, I'm thinking that we fall in the American style.  I've been striving for a soft dough, not thick, and not cracker-like.  Seems that I've tried just about everything.  When I get dough from a pizzaria, it's just much better.  Our Viking gas oven hits 500 F, no problem.  Most of the time I use a stone, but sometimes I use a screen on the bottom oven rack.  Is it possible to make great dough at home without making 40 lbs at a time?

Ready to try something new........Gary

Gary,

Welcome to the forum!  :) It is possible to make one dough ball , or as many as you like if you use one of the dough calculating tools at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html  After you decide what style of pizza you want to make, the tools can be used in you own a scale. 

I think if you decide to learn to make your own pizzas and spend a little time here on the forum, you will be surprised at how good the pizzas will taste.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!