Author Topic: I want to Make Breadsticks, but have Never Tried. Need some Help  (Read 2498 times)

Offline A-Neibs

I want to try making some breadsticks, but I need some simple direction. I've been reading some of the posts on here about it, and I see that I can just use some extra pizza dough for it. Should I cook them on my pizza stone or on a pizza pan? Do I need to crank the oven up for them like I do for pizza? Do I put the extras on (Parmesan, Garlic Salt, Butter, etc.) before I put them in the oven or after I take them out. Thanks for any help and please share any other insight you might have.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: I want to Make Breadsticks, but have Never Tried. Need some Help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:01:49 PM »
I want to try making some breadsticks, but I need some simple direction. I've been reading some of the posts on here about it, and I see that I can just use some extra pizza dough for it. Should I cook them on my pizza stone or on a pizza pan? Do I need to crank the oven up for them like I do for pizza? Do I put the extras on (Parmesan, Garlic Salt, Butter, etc.) before I put them in the oven or after I take them out. Thanks for any help and please share any other insight you might have.

A-Neibs,

I do make cheesy bread sticks at market and have changed the way I make them.  I am not saying this is the best way to make bread sticks, but what I do now.  I now roll out my dough ball, brush it with herb garlic infused oil, add mozzarella and sprinkle some Italian seasoning on.  I put the dough on a parchment paper in a rectangular pan, bake until the dough is set, then transfer to my stone until finished.  Then I use a scissors to cut.  If you want me to post some pictures after Tuesday of my bread sticks, I will.  Other cheeses can also be added.  I often use dough that was frozen for the bread sticks.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
Thanks Norma! I'd like to hear what other people do as well, but your breadsticks sound delicious. I'd love to see some pictures if you get a chance. Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »

These are some pictures of bread sticks, the way I made them before if you are interested at Reply 22 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9968.msg88500.html#msg88500

I also would be interested how other members make their bread sticks.

For a few more takes on bread sticks these are a couple from PMQTT

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9563&p=65657&hilit=bread+sticks#p65657

and

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7697&p=52455&hilit=bread+sticks+tom+lehmann#p52455

There are more on PMQTT if you want to search.

If I remember on Tuesday, I will take some pictures.

Best of luck with your search for bread sticks.  :)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:54:57 AM »
A-Neibs,

If you scan for relevant threads on the "Other Types" board (there are only seven pages), you will get the collective experience of our members on breadsticks, not just those members who may now respond to your questions. You should also look at what has been written on garlic knots, which have much in common with breadsticks. See, for example, Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1681.msg15156.html#msg15156, Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6996.msg60294/topicseen.html#msg60294, Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11028.msg99039/topicseen.html#msg99039, and Replies 1 and 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4522.msg37921/topicseen.html#msg37921. I found these posts by simply doing a quick Advanced forum search of posts that I entered on the subject. A more thorough search, including posts of other members, will produce several other hits. You can also use the Google Custom search feature on the main index page of the forum.

Peter

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
I'll do that. Thanks Peter.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08:07 PM »
i've tried to make breadsticks a few times by rolling out old leftover pizza dough on an oiled cooking sheet and cutting it into strips with a pizza wheel.  i leave a small section uncut so i can flip it all over half way through.  i've found that they work best at lower temps than typical for pizza cooking
bill 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
A-Neibs

These are the pictures, if you are interested, of one batch of cheesy bread sticks I made yesterday at market.  I used a frozen dough ball for these cheesy bread sticks.  There would have been a little bit better browning on the edges, if I hadnít used a frozen dough ball.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
Wow Norman, Those look delicious!! Very good work. I've read most of the posts on the board about breadsticks, and have learned a lot, but I'm still searching for something. Should I cook them on pizza stone at the same temperature I do for pizza, or do I cook them in a pan, or what? That's my biggest question. I'm going to try making breadsticks soon, so we'll see how they turn out.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
Wow Norman, Those look delicious!! Very good work. I've read most of the posts on the board about breadsticks, and have learned a lot, but I'm still searching for something. Should I cook them on pizza stone at the same temperature I do for pizza, or do I cook them in a pan, or what? That's my biggest question. I'm going to try making breadsticks soon, so we'll see how they turn out.

A-Neibs,

There are different ways to go about making bread sticks, but the way I make them now is: lightly flour a dough ball, roll the dough out (with a rolling pin, until it is about the thickness you want), brush with any kind of oil (I use garlic herb infused olive oil), add any kind of cheese, cheeses or herb toppings, then place on parchment paper in a jelly roll pan, bake right on the stone at the same temperature I bake pizzas, (until the dough starts to look done) then transfer off the parchment paper, onto the stone to finish, then cut with a scissors.

I used to just hand stretch the dough and have a puffier rim, but I did then go about making the bread sticks the same way I explained above.

I never tried baking right on the stone, from the beginning, so maybe someone can answer you if they did try that method.

Best of luck making your bread sticks and if you can post some pictures.

Norma

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:37 PM »
I just realized that I typed in Norman. Sorry Norma!! I've read a lot of your posts and know your name is not Norman. Just typed the n by accident. Sorry about that. Anyways, I'm still working on my breadsticks. I'll keep you posted if I make some really good ones. Right now I'm just experimenting.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
I just realized that I typed in Norman. Sorry Norma!! I've read a lot of your posts and know your name is not Norman. Just typed the n by accident. Sorry about that. Anyways, I'm still working on my breadsticks. I'll keep you posted if I make some really good ones. Right now I'm just experimenting.

A-Neibs,

You didnít have to apologize for calling me Norman.  That was my fatherís name and I was named after him.  I didnít give it a second thought.  I have posted wrong names too, or even knew what members real name were, and somehow forgot at the moment, until I saw someone else reply. 

Great to hear you are still experimenting!  :)  Looking forward to the kind of breadsticks you make.

Norma

pizzapan