Author Topic: carbone's pizza, minnesota  (Read 3519 times)

Offline CDNpielover

carbone's pizza, minnesota
« on: June 04, 2005, 06:49:44 PM »
this is a fairly large chain in minneapolis/st. paul (about 20 shops i believe).  has anyone been? 

they cut the pizza into square slices which i love(does anyone know the history of square slices).  also, they have a great sauce recipe i would love to get my hands on.  actually, 2 of the shops are different from the others and use the *original* carbone's sauce recipe from the 1950s.  the one on randolph ave in st. paul is one of the 2, i went to university nearby and frequently stopped by for a pie.  apparently, there was a feud between 2 brothers some time ago, and one changed the sauce recipe and opened up another shop, which is now franchised and there are lots.  but i like the original sauce recipe better.

also, in northfield minnesota there are a couple of places that are great, bill's pizza and basil's pizza.  another brother pizza feud  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 07:32:17 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: carbone's pizza, minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 07:28:15 PM »
While I don't know the history of square cut pizza I can tell you back about 40 years ago many pizza places in Connecticut cut a round pizza into squares. The best part of this is that those who enjoyed mostly crust headed for those particular pieces. With a round pizza cut square, you can get a piece that is mostly crust. The center squares provided no crust at all. Everybody was happy. Don't know how much it is done today.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »
There is a pizza place near me outside of Dallas that makes an oval pizza, and the motto of the place is "Never Trust a Round Pizza". The pizza is cut in squares (with rounded corners on some) in the same way a rectangular pizza is cut.

Peter

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »
I love Carbone's and have been eating there my entire life. I have eaten at three different locations, all of them in the south metro area.  :)
Actually a new one just opened up about one mile from my house. which means that will save me a mile of travel from the one two miles from my house.
If you love Carbone's and like there sauce I would recommend that you try Demori's Pizza in Cottage Grove. It is the same style pizza with a great sauce that I have been trying to obtain from the owner and his son for many many many years now. But even the employees do not know it. only the owner mixes the sauce and has not even passed the recipe to his son yet.

Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 05:21:15 PM »
finally got a pic of carbones:

pizzapan