Author Topic: Highest Bromated flour  (Read 86 times)

Offline ruu

• I Love Pizza!
Highest Bromated flour
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:53:51 PM »
Hello,
I am new to the forum, aside from joining the site to learn, I also have a few questions on a recipe i have been trying to perfect.
I just learned of a bread from Africa. They use HIGH GLUTEN (15%), HIGH POTASSIUM BROMATE (50-60 ppm per 50KG) FLOUR in the recipe.
I have tried the GM full strength flour and others, i have had better success with the GM flour in addition to adding about 3% vital gluten to the flour.
My issue now is looking for a higher bromated flour than the GM full strength of 12-16 ppm and a better vital wheat gluten. The vital gluten i am currently using darkens the inside of my bread....which i don't like.
Any idea of a better (white) vital gluten that will blend easily with the white flour?
Any higher potassium bromate flour available?
Recommendation for dough conditioner? I currently use Honeyville gluten and dough conditioner
Thank you

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Highest Bromated flour
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:40:29 AM »
Ruu:
Staying with the G.M. brand of flours your best bet will be to use All Trumps which comes in at approximately 14.2% protein content. You won't find any flour containing more than about 15-ppm potassium bromate (if I remember correctly, 20-ppm is the legal limit for use).
As for the gluten, all vital wheat gluten is sort of a tan color, that's just the nature of the beast. I've never seen the use of added gluten turn the crumb of the finished bread to an off color when use at normal levels, typically between 3 and 10% based on the weight of the total flour. Keep in mind that each 1% vital wheat gluten that you add (based on the total flour weight) will increase the total protein content of the flour by 0.6%, so the addition of 2% VWG to All Trumps flour will give you roughly 15.4% protein content. Also, be sure to increase the dough absorption by an additional 2% for each percent vital wheat gluten added. As for dough conditioners, I am assuming that you mean dough strengtheners. There are numerous dough strengtheners available but you might have a problem accessing them as they are intended only for wholesale applications. In any case, you might contact Cain Food Industries, Dallas, Texas. They might still have their bromate tablets available, but if not, they have oxidative enzymes that are very effective at replacing bromate without the associated potential health issues of bromate.
By the way, the flour that you referenced contains 50 to 60-parts per million (PPM) potassium bromate. This is a level of bromate that has not been used in the U.S. since the late 1960's. The use of bromate has been banned just about world wide due to its potentially carcinogenic implications.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline ruu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Highest Bromated flour
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:03:02 PM »
Thank you so much Tom, thanks so much for the information especially the link.
Is there any place like cain foods in the east coast? NY, CT, NJ. I sent an email but will like to physically visit a place.
The flour i am refering to does not contain any bromate but the akery add the bromate tablet by themselves.....again, bad food regulations in Africa.
Any idea?
Thanks a lot!

Ruu:
Staying with the G.M. brand of flours your best bet will be to use All Trumps which comes in at approximately 14.2% protein content. You won't find any flour containing more than about 15-ppm potassium bromate (if I remember correctly, 20-ppm is the legal limit for use).
As for the gluten, all vital wheat gluten is sort of a tan color, that's just the nature of the beast. I've never seen the use of added gluten turn the crumb of the finished bread to an off color when use at normal levels, typically between 3 and 10% based on the weight of the total flour. Keep in mind that each 1% vital wheat gluten that you add (based on the total flour weight) will increase the total protein content of the flour by 0.6%, so the addition of 2% VWG to All Trumps flour will give you roughly 15.4% protein content. Also, be sure to increase the dough absorption by an additional 2% for each percent vital wheat gluten added. As for dough conditioners, I am assuming that you mean dough strengtheners. There are numerous dough strengtheners available but you might have a problem accessing them as they are intended only for wholesale applications. In any case, you might contact Cain Food Industries, Dallas, Texas. They might still have their bromate tablets available, but if not, they have oxidative enzymes that are very effective at replacing bromate without the associated potential health issues of bromate.
By the way, the flour that you referenced contains 50 to 60-parts per million (PPM) potassium bromate. This is a level of bromate that has not been used in the U.S. since the late 1960's. The use of bromate has been banned just about world wide due to its potentially carcinogenic implications.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:05:32 PM by ruu »