Author Topic: The secret of big bubbles in a crust.  (Read 1275 times)

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: The secret of big bubbles in a crust.
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 02:12:30 PM »
The flavor whas good, but its a flavor like from domino's or Newyork pizza here in Holland, i think its typical American.
Meaning just with normal white flower.
But that is just a way you can see it, in Italy there must be for sure people that do it in the same way.
My opinion is that the flavor comes with the type of flower, but its more expensive to use in a restaurant.
Next time i will use with my flower extra sourdough powder in my dough for taste.

I'll openly disagree with you on where the flavor comes from.
I believe that it comes from longer fermentation times. That's why we like to age our dough for more than 24 hours in the cooler, 48 hours or longer is even better.
 and why we add recycled dough to every new batch.
Catch a plane,  then a dogsled or a snowmobile to come hang out by us for a few days this winter, I'd be happy to show you everything we do.

Ovens, We are using Sveba Dahlen electric deck ovens here, I was a little concerned about them when we got this property due to never baking in anything but gas ovens, plus me wanting wood-fired ovens to do our pizza in, but these ovens really impressed me with their baking abilities. besides my main temperature control, I can independently set 3 different heat settings independently.
I can run the deck, the top, and front to back differential independently of each other, Plus we have glass doors to be able to see the progress of our pizzas while they bake.
I still want a pair of wood-fired ovens, but am happy with what we have now.

So grab some patience, let your dough rest for a few days,
Make a batch and put a date on it, make a pizza from that same dough batch each day, find your optimum fermentation period.
I still believe you are using your dough too soon, let it age a little, give it time to mature and develop the flavor it is capable of.

If I did everything exactly like our local competitors are doing, our pizza would suck too! Experiment, be patient. good things come to those that wait.
Every seen any phenomenal fresh wines? I didn't think so .....

I believe I also mentioned what we do with our dough making and dough management techniques, and how that is responsible for the unique flavor we present in our area.

I have been using recycled dough in each and every new batch since we opened, I retain dough a percentage of dough from each new batch we make, and add that to the next batch of dough.
When we open our dough boxes to grab a dough ball, the lovely fermented scent is present, Plus we use semolina flour on our wooden peels to help slide the pizzas onto the deck of our oven. We did use corn meal for a few months, but found that it would burn in the oven and create a very acrid smoke, and it was difficult to brush off the stone decks. The semolina flour slightly incorporates into crust, and what semolina that  remains in the oven does not burn and smoke as rapidly as the cornmeal did
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline The Dub Oracle

Re: The secret of big bubbles in a crust.
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 04:53:52 PM »
I do agree that a long fermentation ads extra taste, it bakes also better and you get a more fleshy bottem.
But dont misunderstand me, i mean a differend kind of flower, not just white flower where they bake white bread from.
I had differend flowers and for a while i ended up with manitoba flower combined with a normal Italian flower.
But the flower i now use tastes aleady like it had a long fermentation, i dont now why, could be about differend kinds of corn in it, maybe even from some sourdough powder.
I can smell after baking it has some manitoba in at as well.
Very difficult to discribe the exact taste, it could be as well from very fine whole wheat grain in it, i dont know.
Its just not normal white flower.
But i will try a extra long fermentaion to, i want to know how it taste after what you said..
But maybe it tastes just like a short fermantation with a lot of yeast, or maybe time as well will ad other flavors.