Author Topic: Peter R's dichotomy of fermentation  (Read 130 times)

Dahlmann and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline farmboy236

• I Love Pizza!
Peter R's dichotomy of fermentation
« on: Yesterday at 11:04:04 AM »
  I asked this question on Pizza Quest and was advised to ask it here as well.  In Mr. Reinhart's books ( BBA. Amer. Pie)  he seems to always use a long cold fermentation on his doughs but holds up Chris Bianco, NYC and New Haven, Conn as some of the "Best in the World" pizza while those guys are using a short room temp fermentation.  I am just trying to get a handle on this seeming dichotomy.  I would love to hear him address this but I don't know if he posts here or not.  I use a cold fermentation but if the "Best" don't then I wonder what I am missing.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Peter R's dichotomy of fermentation
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:24:07 AM »
The dough doctor does post here. Many other experts as well. You may find various opinions on this subject. Bottom line, do what gives you the best results.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:43:38 PM »
Chris Bianco uses an extended cold fermentation:

http://eater.com/archives/2013/08/28/eater-elements-the-rosa-at-pizzeria-bianco.php

Careful to be "gentle" with the dough, Bianco lets it temper before he ferments it for 18 - 20 hours in a refrigerator. The long, cold fermentation builds flavor in the crust.

NH style pizza is cold fermented as well, from what I've heard.

NY typically is not, but if you read American Pie carefully, Reinhart waxes much more poetically about Bianco and NH than he does about NY.

Reinhart is typically not the best go to for pizza related information, imo- at least, not American Pie, but in this particular instance, he's dead on about the benefits and deserves a tremendous amount of credit for all the work he's done bringing it to the attention of the American public.

You're going to find different opinions here on cold versus room temp fermentation, especially in the context of sourdough, but, as far as extended fermentation goes, you will find no argument. It's one of the few topics that everyone agrees on.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:49:16 PM »
If you go a bit deeper you will find the bake times and temperatures he gives do not match the pizza's he likes, the hydration of the dough does not match the pizzas he likes, the list could go on and on.

Reinhart is selling books to the mass public, a big group.  His recipes goal is for the mass public to make decent pizza at home.  If he wrote a book for the pizza obsessed with all the tools and skills it wouldn't see the light of day, the market is too small. 

Reinhart's recipe uses simple techniques that require no skill, experience, or special equipment that will produce a dough his market is happy with, not for them to produce the best pizza he has ever eaten.  The best pizzas he has ever eaten require special skills, experience and tools.

-Jeff

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:17:30 PM »
 ^^^, based on what little I know about him. However, doesn't he recommend using something like 5-7% oil for NY style? If so, that's just stupid and wrong, and it doesn't make anything easier for anyone.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:12:00 PM »
I go with Shuboyje.  He may elaborate on best practice, but what he suggests is the most bulletproof recipe.

pizzapan