Author Topic: Hopefully you can help. Need a Dough Angel  (Read 68 times)

Offline BillW

• I Love Pizza!
Hopefully you can help. Need a Dough Angel
« on: Yesterday at 02:02:38 PM »
I have an excellent recipe for pizza but my wife and I are really stumped with making the dough as we have tried it now about 8 times. The old Italian woman (now deceased) that I got the recipe from used to make a rectangular pizza in a porcelain pan. She used high gluten flour and insisted on fresh active yeast. Of course she also used oil & water but the exact amount I do no know. We have tried using amounts of water & oil as called for in other dough directions but the taste is not the same. The last couple of times we made pizza we switched over to a Teflon coated baking sheet (cooking the bottom like a cookie) and we're not sure if that is causing a problem. Yesterday I ordered 2 Blue Steel Sheets 11 7/8 x 15 3/4 x 1 1/8 hoping that might help.

When she made her pie total cooking time was 25 to 30 minutes. Once she laid out her dough she topped it with sauce and two different graded cheeses that were mixed together and left it cook for about 10 to 15 minutes then she would pull the pie out and add two more cheeses and again left it cook for another 15 minutes. FYI she did not use a pizza oven.

Hoping you have some good suggestions. Oh by the way she made her dough in the morning and any dough leftover after she closed she would automatically make it into bread.

Thanks! Bill

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Hopefully you can help. Need a Dough Angel
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:21:21 PM »
Bill;
You might try this;
After mixing the dough (use 85F water to make the dough) place it into a large oiled bowl, oil the top of the dough, cover with a piece of plastic and allow to ferment as long as possible, I like to use 6-hours as a starting point, turn the dough out of the bowl and press into the greased baking pan, cut off any excess dough. I would suggest pressing the dough to about 3/16 or 1/4-inch thickness in the pan. Then allow the dough to proof/rise in the pan for about 45 to 60-minutes, then dress the dough and proceed in your normal manner.
If you don't have a formula, try this one for starters:
Flour 100%
Salt 2%
Sugar (if called for) 2%
olive oil 5%
Compressed yeast 1%
Water (85F) 55%

To convert percentages to weight measures:
Decide how much flour you want to use.
Enter the flour weight into your calculator press X and enter the percent you want the weight for then press the "%" key and read the weight in the display window. The ingredient weight will be expressed in the same weight measures (pounds, ounces, etc.) that you showed the flour weight in.
Example:
You want to use 2-pounds (32-ounces) of flour to make the dough.
32 X 2 press the "%" key and read 0.64-ounces
32 X 5 press the "%" key and read 1.6-ounces.
Etc.

Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline BillW

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Hopefully you can help. Need a Dough Angel
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:31:34 PM »
Tom, Thanks!!!!! Do you think the Teflon coated pan has anything to do with the finished results that we were getting?

pizzapan