Author Topic: In search of the perfect chewy crust  (Read 68 times)

Offline rdy4trvl

In search of the perfect chewy crust
« on: Today at 07:29:09 PM »
There's a ton of content on this site...could you direct me to a recipe (w instructions) for a chewy crust?  My crusts are a bit too soft (using ConAg bread flour 10% protein) so I'm guessing problem is at least partially technique.  Thanks!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: In search of the perfect chewy crust
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:02:12 PM »
RDY$TRYL;
Without knowing a lot more about your dough formula and dough management and baking it is hard to say what you will need to do, but here is something to start with;
1) Use a stronger flour, like General Mills All Trumps (14+% protein content).
2) Delete and oil from the dough formula.
3) Start with a dough absorption of 65% and increase if necessary.
4) Don't worry about dough mixing, just get it mixed so it is fairly smooth, with a temperature of around 80F (Use 85F water if mixing by hand), then portion, ball, oil the dough ball and drop it into a plastic bag (twist the open end to form a pony tail and tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it in the fridge), allow the dough to cold ferment for at least 36 to 48-hours, remove from fridge, allow to temper at room temperature to 50F, then open into pizza skins, dress and bake.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline rdy4trvl

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:21:23 PM »
Great...a few changes I'll try: GM All Trumps, deleting the oil and watching the temps.  I'm sure these will have a big impact.

Is there a single location on the site that spells out a few formulas?  I've used many.
Thanks
Doug

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:23 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but I've run into problems with placing the dough in a bag and tucking the excess under. The problem I've run into is when I take the ball out of the bag and stretch it. The middle gets very thin where the excess was tucked (creating a weak spot). Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to remedy this?
Chaz

pizzapan