Author Topic: Help with dough! Too sticky too elastic  (Read 99 times)

Offline mgsimms

Help with dough! Too sticky too elastic
« on: Yesterday at 09:49:39 PM »
Hi
Made NY pizza recipe as follows:
(796 grams Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour
Water 493g
Instant dry yeast (3.5 grams)
Salt 15.6 grams)
Sugar 7.8 grams
Olive oil 11.8 ml

Makes 4 x 14" pizzas

On Thursday night: Combined gently flour and room temp water in KA mixer (autolyse?) for 40 mins
Then added rest of ingredients with oil at end
Mixed in mixer for 15min
Divided into 4 x 326g balls in oiled ziplock containers (very sticky!!!)

Sat night took them  out. Very sticky! Coated with flour to reduce stickiness and reformed them. Attempted to make a rim and press them/stretch them out. Very elastic!!! Would spring back to original size

Frustrated I took second ball and merged with first then attempted to stretch them out again. Still elastic. Starts to tear holes in dough when draping over arms. Help! Sticks to pizza peel despite flour and cornmeal on peel

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Help with dough! Too sticky too elastic
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:11:31 AM »
After reforming the dough balls on the second day how long did you wait before beginning to open the dough balls into pizza skins?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mgsimms

Re: Help with dough! Too sticky too elastic
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:21:18 AM »
I took them out of the fridge still in ziplock containers maybe 10 or 15m before doing anything with them. They were a sticky glop so I had to roll them in flour so I could reform them otherwise they stuck to my hands! Then I proceeded to try to open them up an tried to create the outer rim with my thumbs. Next I would press down with my fingers to try to spread it out. The dough would shoot back immediately when I would try and stretch it out! If I pulled harder the dough would tear.