Author Topic: dough issue  (Read 66 times)

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
dough issue
« on: Yesterday at 03:36:49 PM »
so i made up a neapolitan dough the same way i usually do and when i went to punch it down to ball it, it felt hard in a few spots. when i lifted it out of the container some liquid came out of the dough and there were a few hard pieces of dough. 62% hydration, 3% salt, about a 48 hr fermentation, mixed by hand. I've never experienced this before, Any idea what caused this?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: dough issue
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:59:11 PM »
Most likely what you are looking at are lumps of un-hydrated flour or possibly even oil soaked flour. This is a common experience with dough that is mixed by hand, especially when it is minimally mixed. To get around the problem I normally just mix/stir the dough a little longer, and to prevent the flour from getting oil soaked I like to hold the oil back until after I have the flour and water well incorporated, then add the oil and continue mixing a few more minutes to incorporate the oil.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: dough issue
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:17:39 PM »
Waiting on adding the oil is very beneficial to getting full water absorption too. I mix for 12 minutes with a commercial spiral mixer, and if I add the oil in the first few minutes, I get a very wet sticky dough that is near impossible to work with.
I wait until 3/4ths of the way in before adding any lipids
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

pizzapan