Author Topic: Pizzeria Bianco  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Settebello

• Settebello
Pizzeria Bianco
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:53:39 PM »
My wife and I were bored this weekend, so we loaded up the two kids turned on Dora the explorer on the DVD player and headed to Phoenix just to go to Pizzeria Bianco.
The location is ideal.  Although we had about an hour or more wait, it was fine sitting outside talking and having a few beverages.  To bad there are no locals like that here in Vegas.
I was surprised to see right off the bat that he is not trying to do a "Vera napoletana" style pizza.  The oven is kept at a much lower temp than an oven for a Napoli style pizza.  I am not sure the temp, but the dome of the oven was black and the black ran to about 6 inches above the floor of the oven.  Pizza's took about 3 or 4 minutes to cook.  For this reason, it is useless to compare his Margherita to a Margherita in Napoli or other places like Antica Pizzeria in LA.

His thing seems to be that he does the pizza's his way and uses first class ingredients.  The sausage was out of this world, the wood fire roasted mushrooms were also. 

My only complaint was that they did not have aranciata.  This was more of a problem for my 3 year old daughter who spent a month in Napoli eating Margherita's and fisting aranciatas everyday.  Needless to say she was a little disappointed.  "Wheres my aranciata?" she kept asking over and over again.

Overall, while it is not exactly what I am trying to accomplish, but it was well worth the 4 and half hour drive and I would say it is a must for any of you that happen to find yourself in Phoenix.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: Pizzeria Bianco
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 10:24:22 AM »
I took the bait and had to find out what Settebello was taking about.

200 ML Bottle

A Bitter Orange Italian Soda.

Contains: Water, Orange Juice (12%), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Carbon Dioxide, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors.

CALORIES: 85

Offline Settebello

• Settebello
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:54:02 AM »
Now if you can only tell me why Fanta (owned by a US company) aranciata is not available in the U.S.  San Pellegrino's is good, but Fanta aranciata is about the only thing you will see in pizzerias in Italy

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 01:08:32 PM »
A huge guess here.  Fanta, a wholly owned subsidiary of Coca-Cola is a world market entity.  It seems they invented the concept of introducing their product to the WORLD.  In WWll era,  there are thousands of pictures of Hershey bars, CocaCola and beautiful recently liberated Italian girls.   MMmmm.
Once a foothold is is gained, a reseach of the populous is made.  They mimic the indigenous tastes with their house brand and flood the market at a loss until the original product manufacturers relent, reduce or capitulate.  They now own the market.  Besides, there is always the allure of a sexy American product...(except France).