Author Topic: Buffalo mozz at Costco  (Read 740 times)

Offline jaywillie

• Yumm, pizza.
Buffalo mozz at Costco
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
My local Costco in Portland, Ore. -- never a store to be on the forefront of stocking anything interesting, pizza-wise -- surprised me last weekend with some Italian mozzarella di bufalo. It was right in with all the other specialty cheeses. Brand name is Garofalo, as you can see from the package photo. Price was in the neighborhood of $12/lb., as I recall. One nice feature is that the four 125g balls are packed in separate plastic bags, so you can use one and the others retain some freshness. I tasted it yesterday, both fresh and melted (not on a pie, but planning for this weekend), and it was good -- creamy and rich. I don't have much to compare it to, however, so I cannot offer any further review. Tasted very good to me.

jaywillie

Offline rcs1

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Buffalo mozz at Costco
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
We get that same cheese from the Costco near us (SF Bay area). It is terrific.  Wonderful taste and great melting characteristics.  Better than any non Buff mozz I have found.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
We get that same cheese from the Costco near us (SF Bay area). It is terrific.  Wonderful taste and great melting characteristics.  Better than any non Buff mozz I have found.

When I read about this cheese on the forum, I looked for it at my local Costco - SF Bay Area, Richmond - a few months ago and could not find it.  Was it in there with all the other specialty cheeses like jaywillie described?  And, can you tell me the expiration date?
Mitch

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
That's all I've used the past 2-3 years. It's freaking delicious.  Our Costco's generally restocks on Thursdays and the expiration is 2 weeks.  I picked some up last Thursday (4/30) and the expiration date is 5/14.

It is WET.  I ususally chop it up to the sizes I want to place on the pie, and place these pieces on a paper towel 2-3 hours before baking the pies.  This extracts enough moisture so you don't have a liquidy cheese on the pie.

Buffalo mozzarella is an excellent choice for those with lactose intolerance.  It has VERY VERY low lactose compared to cow's milk mozzarella and should be tolerated by those with lactose intolerance.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
I've been using this as well for the last couple of years and it's better than anything else I can find. Has great flavor and melts real nice.

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »
I saw this today at my local costco and they also have kirkland brand too

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:44:39 AM »
I was in Portland yesterday. Called a couple of Costcos and walked into the one in Clackamas. No one had any. Which costco did you see this at?

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
It's hit or miss at the stores in Houston. I'd say that 20-30% of the time they won't have any.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jaywillie

• Yumm, pizza.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »
I was in Portland yesterday. Called a couple of Costcos and walked into the one in Clackamas. No one had any. Which costco did you see this at?

It was in fact at the Clackamas Costco. But the last time I was there, 10 days ago, they didn't have any. So probably it is hit-and-miss as TXCraig1 says.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
I also notice that with 2 different Costcos here in Central Florida, one stocks it, the other doesn't. I asked at the store that never stocks it why they don't carry it.  I was told that they didn't have adequate sales of that particular product to justify stocking it.  The only thing I can think of is that this store was in a primarily Latino part of town??? Maybe my Latino friends prefer traditional shredded mozz???  Dunno

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »
Just found it at the Tigard OR Costco. $12 for four balls. What a deal! Previously, the cheapest I've found it was $9 for ONE ball. Can't wait to try it, but my family is all pizza-d out right now.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
Just found it at the Tigard OR Costco. $12 for four balls. What a deal! Previously, the cheapest I've found it was $9 for ONE ball. Can't wait to try it, but my family is all pizza-d out right now.

Don't wait too long. The quality of the cheese degrades rapidly. It will never be as good as it is right now.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
Don't wait too long. The quality of the cheese degrades rapidly. It will never be as good as it is right now.
Ugh, I was looking at the July 27th expiration date and wondering when it was made. I know it only arrived at Costco recently as I was in this one 2 weeks ago and they didn't have it. I'm pretty sure the last time I bought a ball at Market of choice that it had degraded a bit. It was more...crumbly, and had a more immediate expiration date. Still tasted better than the fresh mozzarella I was using.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 08:55:20 PM »
If you got 7/27, you did really good. I rarely find it with much more than 2 weeks left and sometime only a week. It will be good in a week or two, but still - the sooner you use it the better.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »
st deopot stocks it but differnet packaging  comes in plastic deli tub I like it just $$
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
If you got 7/27, you did really good. I rarely find it with much more than 2 weeks left and sometime only a week. It will be good in a week or two, but still - the sooner you use it the better.
I double checked. I was way off. 7/14. Now to find an excuse for pizza my wife will buy.