Author Topic: Best shredded mozzarella cheese - thoughts?  (Read 662 times)

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
Best shredded mozzarella cheese - thoughts?
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
OK, so I know the best thing to do is to buy a loaf of whole milk mozzarella cheese and shredded it yourself, but I'm being realistic here. I'm not the experienced pizza maker I wish I were, and making my own dough and sauce, opening and topping at least a dozen pizzas at a time, and cooking them all in our WFO is about all my husband and I can do when we have a pizza party. So, shredded my own cheese is just not going to happen.

That all being said, any suggestions on the best shredded mozzarella cheese to buy (and from where)? I know whole milk, low moisture, no additives is best, but I'm just not sure what to get.

Thanks in advance.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Best shredded mozzarella cheese - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
Grande mozzarella

PennMac.com
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »
Thanks, but they don't have the shredded mozzarella. The only shredded they have is 50/50 mozz and provolone.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
If you have a food processor, an alternative is to use it to shred the cheese.  You have to watch out for over-doing it or having it come out a bit unevenly, but it will buzz through the cheese very quickly and your effort is pushing the button.
Mitch

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
Yeah, I guess you're right. Assuming I'm cooking the pizza for dinner, how far in advance can I shred it. The morning I'm going to use it? The night before?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »
Yeah, I guess you're right. Assuming I'm cooking the pizza for dinner, how far in advance can I shred it. The morning I'm going to use it? The night before?

I think it is best to shred it much closer to the bake time.   If you do shred it too early, it will be gummy and stick together by the time you try to bake it.  Most of the shredded stuff in the stores has cellulose (or maybe some other agent) to prevent sticking.  That is bothersome to some people.   

I think, if you search around here, you may find some postings where people dust their shredded cheese with something (flour?) to reduce sticking.  Here is an example:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5431.msg46260#msg46260
Mitch

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
Thanks, but they don't have the shredded mozzarella. The only shredded they have is 50/50 mozz and provolone.

The pre shredded doesn't last as long. Get yourself a loaf.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll be pulling out my Cuisinart. ;)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
For home and a pie at a time, I use a salad shooter to shred the cheese usually minutes before it is put on the pie.  I have also had pretty good luck buying 5lb loafs of Sorrento LMPS (my favorite short of Grande) from Restaurant Depot and freezing in 1 lb vacuum sealed chunks.  I defrost in the refrigerator.  If cooking for a group, I'll snag a fresh 5 lb loaf and freeze the leftovers.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
For home and a pie at a time, I use a salad shooter to shred the cheese usually minutes before it is put on the pie.  I have also had pretty good luck buying 5lb loafs of Sorrento LMPS (my favorite short of Grande) from Restaurant Depot and freezing in 1 lb vacuum sealed chunks.  I defrost in the refrigerator.  If cooking for a group, I'll snag a fresh 5 lb loaf and freeze the leftovers.

bigMoose:

I just froze several blocks from a 6 pound loaf that I cut up.  How far in advance do you transfer to the refrigerator to defrost?  Thanks!
Mitch

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
Mitch, the day before seems to work for me.  Like 24 to 32 hours before use I remove from deep freezer and put the mozzarella in the fridge.

I did this with some smoked mozzarella a while back and actually think the aging in the freezer helped it.  Don't know if I am nuts or not... but it was what I thought at the time.

Offline v-bone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
I shred my own 50/50 mix. But i have used the pre shreded 50/50 mix. Tasted the same but texture is not as creamy. Also mix is much easyer to control cost if you have employees that have a heavy hand.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
Dumb question -- what's the difference between the 100% mozzarella and the 50/50 mozzarella provolone mix? Obviously, I know one has provolone cheese and the other doesn't, but what's the difference in taste, texture, cooking, etc.?

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »
When I used the 50/50 mix of mozzarella/provolone I was doing it to get a little more flavor into the cheese and keep the stringiness of the mozzarella.  I have since found that white cheddar is a great "secret cheese" to tailor your flavor profile.  I now use the Sorrento mozzarella with a white cheddar as my signature mix.  ... another tip learned here on the board, this one from Norma!

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »
Restaurant Depot has a nice Mozzarella - Provolone - White Cheddar blend from Supremo Italiano in a 5lb bag that has a really good flavor. 

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
Just wanted to report that I tried the shredded Prima Gusto whole milk mozzarella from GFS over the weekend. I really liked the taste and texture of the cheese. And for $11.29 for a 5-pound bag, you can't go wrong on the price. I haven't tried Grande or Sorento so I can't compare it to those, but it was pretty darn good. The taste/texture, the fact that I didn't have to shred it myself, the price, and the availability of it makes it my go-to cheese going forward.

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »
I used to think it was too much time and trouble to grate fresh mozzarella, but when i saw and tasted the difference between fresh and the cornstarch dusted pre-grated bags, i became a convert. That cornstarch screws with the flavor, texture and browning.

I use a cheap simple flat grater over a plate and it only takes two (literally) minutes to shred an 8oz dose, and cleanup is just one item.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 05:44:45 AM »
I used to think it was too much time and trouble to grate fresh mozzarella, but when i saw and tasted the difference between fresh and the cornstarch dusted pre-grated bags, i became a convert. That cornstarch screws with the flavor, texture and browning.

That would be powdered cellulose, not corn starch...  :-X

Nothing like sawdust on your cheese. We need a puke icon.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

pizzapan