Author Topic: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video  (Read 13176 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
Larry, if you make it and use it fresh, it should be better.  The trick is not too hot and don't overwork the curd or you will lose a lot of butterfat and the cheese will be tough.

Chau

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32:05 AM »
Off the topic a bit,you ever make Ricotta?
-Bill

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 01:33:00 AM »
thanks, making it in the morning cooking from 5 to 8 pm. got a really nice portable oven planed around that dome.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
Larry, you should also consider wrapping the fresh mozz or they can lose their shape pretty easy.   If you don't mind, post some pics of your cheese.

Btw, I have also tried adding heavy cream to the water but it didn't seem to make a big difference.

Bill, I have not made ricotta.

Chau

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »
Chau,

I don’t know if you are interested or not, but an article on Slice recently, about Forcella’s and Giulio Adriani , says he stretches his mozzarella in milk.  (The cheese is made in house daily. It's an attempt to tamp down on excessive moisture, says Adriani. He buys curd, heating it for stretching not in water, but in milk. It gives the mozzarella an incredibly creamy flavor, balanced by an ample amount of salt. This cheese should be sampled on its own—in a caprese salad, for instance)  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/forcella-pizza-williamsburg-brooklyn-nyc.html#comments

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

PaulsPizza

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
Great videos Chau! 6oz of salt per gallon you said I think? I will convert that and see if I am using similar amounts to you.
Thanks again,

Paul
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:01:26 PM by PaulsPizza »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
Norma, thank you for posting that.  Outside this forum, I really don't read too much about pizza.  I ALWAYS appreciate the links you post so please keep posting them. 

When I did try heavy cream in the water, I didn't add a lot fearing it would interfere with how the cheese stretched but after the fact it did not appear to.  I also did note an increase in creaminess but it wasn't much and not really that detectable after freezing and thawing. 

I do remember reading on the forum that Roberto add's milk to his water for stretching curd.  It's  good to know that Giulio Adriana uses milk instead of water.  I can see how that would make a cheese even creamier.  By itself the polly-o is plenty creamy BUT next time I run out of cheese and make more I will definitely use salted milk instead of salt water.  Milk is fairly inexpensive and won't bump the cost up much at all if doing 10lbs at a time. 

Also I love the way his pizza looks especially that margherita and marinara pie.

Thanks Paul -  Yes 6 oz per gallon of water.  I usually use 3 oz per 2 quarts of water.   Member Bobino gave me that number and I like it and haven't made any adjustments.

Chau 

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 12:24:04 AM »

Paul

The 6 oz. per gallon of water cited by Chau came from a series of experiments.  An internet search on making mozz will show that the addition of salt is not consistent.
As I think the addition of salt is critical for flavor, I compared my fresh mozz with no salt, 3 oz./, 4 oz./, 5oz./ and 6 oz./ gallon of water.  The 6 oz./ gallon was right for my taste. 
I was fortunate to spend a few hours with a mozz master (50+ years of experience).
He does not mix any salt in with the water when melting or stretching the curd.  After forming, the cheese balls rest in cool water and at time of sale are dipped into an intense brine solution. 
Chau modified what I was doing when he decided to melt the curd without salted water, as the master does, but at the time of stretching used the brined water.  This works for him.  For my next batch I will try the Chau mod.

Bob

PaulsPizza

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 06:54:43 AM »
Thanks Chau and Bob.

Bob, in the video Chau made didn't he use the same water for melting and stretching? was it all brined?
I will have to re-watch it and see.

Thanks guys,

Paul

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »
Well I didn't do to well on my first attempt. Yellow in my water. Cooked out some butter fat. The cheese melted a little funny. I think my water was to hot. Also when I washed the curd my dishroom water is a lot hotter than a home sink . Making another batch tomorrow . Your method is similar to the poly o video  it is on youtube

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
My tap is pretty hot as well.  Larry it is normal that the curd water turns slightly yellow.  That is to be expected.  FWIW it took me about 5 sessions (20lbs) before I felt comfortable with everything.

Larry, this method came from watching various videos including the Polly O video and exchanging ideas with Bobino and another friend in NY.

If you watch the Polly O videos carefully, you'll see that at one point when he goes to pinch off the ball, the ball puts up a good fight.  To me, this is too much tension in the cheese.

Chau
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:20:56 AM by Jackie Tran »

PaulsPizza

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Chau, do you use pure brine water for each stage of your curd to mozz making protocol?  I was just curious because we can't buy curd in England, it's either make it from raw milk or buy it processed.

Thanks again for the great videos.

Paul

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
Chau, excellent videos!

Yes, the higher temps are more applicable to larger batches of cheese.....like 20+ pounds at a time. Otherwise, it is very difficult to work that much cheese at lower temps.

You have shown a key that a certain Nonna I know says it critical...."when you make the individual pieces, you want to handle it like a baby". For all the reasons you cited....give to the tooth, trying to avoid being too tough, etc.

Hopefully one day you will give it a whirl with fresh, raw milk. It's really the bees knees at that point, but your mozzarella looks really top notch. Bravo!  :D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 12:01:13 AM »
Thank you so much Kelly.  I would love more than anything to try mozz from fresh raw milk.  I bet it is fantastic.

When considering temperature and mozz cheese making we really have to make a distinction between water temperature and cheese temperature.  I believe that when the experts talk about temps of 170F-200F, they are really talking about water temps and not cheese temps.  The water temps that I was adding in the video is 185F, so that definitely falls in the range the pros are using if they are referring to water temps.

There is no way in hell they are talking about actual cheese temps.  There is a simple test for anyone to do next time they are making cheese to see this for themselves.  Drop a few pieces of curd directing into a pot of hot water at 180-200F, stir it around and witness the curd almost disintegrate.  This is true cheese temp of 180-200F.  It would be practically impossible to stretch cheese at a cheese temp of 180-200F.  I have tried and wasn't able to do it.  If anyone can, please make a video and post it here.  In my video, after the cheese had absorb the heat from the water and the temps had drop down to below 150F (true cheese temp), you can see at 5:15 - 5:18, the outer layers of curd that is in contact with the hot water is almost liquid.  It is stringing off readily even at these "low" temps.  And this is even a tad too hot for me.  For stretching, I'm really stretching at a cheese temp of 135-140F and an initial water temp of 185F.  You can see how the cheese reacts at a true temp of 135-140F.  The higher the cheese temp, the more liquid and fluid it will be.   At a true cheese temp of 180-190F, the cheese would likely be very runny and oozing out between the fingers, no matter how much cheese you are making.  

For a bigger curd mass, I can definitely see adding water temps of 200F+, BUT I'm pretty sure that temp drops fairly quickly as the large mass of cheese absorbs much of the heat.  It would stand to reason that the water temp would drop to below 150F as the cheese absorbs the heat.  I believe true cheese/stretching temps are much lower than what is reported by the pros, and they are reporting initial water temps not stretching.

Yes, the higher temps are more applicable to larger batches of cheese.....like 20+ pounds at a time. Otherwise, it is very difficult to work that much cheese at lower temps.

I agree Kelly.  At 20lbs at a time, you definitely need to add higher temp water, but again that temp will drop way down as that mass absorbs much of the heat.  I just don't believe the pros are stretching at temps of over 150F and actually closer to 135-140F.  All process curd should react to heat in a very similar fashion.  I think we can actually predict with some accuracy the true stretching temps just by seeing how the cheese is stretching itself.  

I just watch the Polly O videos again.  After the curd was gone through the first cook and cooled for 5 minutes, he discards 2/3 of the cooled water and adds in water that is 160F.  Mixing with the previous 1/3 cooled water, the temps would drop to somewhere in the 140 range.  Judging by the look of the way the cheese is stretching in that bowl, I would estimate the water temp to be no higher than 140F at time of stretching.  The only thing I don't like about his technique is that he actually pulls on the cheese and handles it a bit roughly rather than letting the cheese stretch itself.  

http://www.polly-ofoodservice.com/videos.asp

Here are a few other excellent videos brother Bobino shared with me that has helped me greatly.  Much of my current technique is based on these videos.
Part 1

Part 2
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4nbx3tv4o#/watch?v=aJz9jUF5lQ8
part 3
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4nbx3tv4o#/watch?v=FYYss0tbFZs

As with the Polly 0 video, Sean also speaks to the importance of warming or heating up the curd slowly.  To prevent lost of butterfat.  I didn't speak about the disadvantages of stretching mozz at high temps yet but there are several.

First, if the water is too hot, you will likely have to wear gloves or not be able to handle the cheese for any length of time.  This is a great disadvantage b/c you when you lose contact with the cheese you don't get a proper feel of how the cheese is reacting to the water, how the cheese is stretching, and you don't get an accurate assessment on the proper feel of the cheese.

2ndly, the higher the temps the more butter fat you will lose to the water.  You will always loose some butterfat when stretching even at 135-140F, but the less you lose the creamier the cheese.  The more butterfat you lose due to excessive high stretching temps, the less creamy a product.  The goal is a creamy tender cheese, not the opposite.

3rd, the higher the water temp, the more liquid the cheese becomes and the harder it is too handle.  You will inadvertently overstretch or overfold the cheese to redevelop the strength.  It's just like making dough.  If the hydration is too high it can be easier to over develop the gluten by overcompensating and kneading too much.  Over stretching cheese makes for a tougher cheese especially after the cool down.  It becomes almost like rubber.  There are certain store bought brands that are very rubbery after the cool down.  
I personally don't like this.  I like a cheese to give easily to the the teeth even after the cool down.  

The one disadvantage to under handling the cheese as I do is that it has a hard time retaining it's ball shape. I get around this by dropping them into salted ice water, and then wrapping the balls in plastic after they have cooled a bit.  This still allows for a creamy tender cheese that stays round.  

Chau
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:21:07 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline texmex

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
Your presentation is so well done, it does seem easy - especially after seeing your calm demeanor in these videos. 
Reesa

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
how do you make the curd?

It involves processing milk with an enzyme called rennet.  There is all kinds of information on it at http://www.cheesemaking.com/.  They have a "30-minute mozzarella" recipe that doesn't produce "real" mozzarella, but teaches some of the basics of cheesemaking.  One note if you feel like trying: the 30 minutes assumes you have access to "cheese strength" rennet.  The stuff you can buy at the local grocery store (at least anywhere I've lived) is much weaker, and it takes between 2 and 3 hours to form usable curd (maintaining the correct temperature the whole time).  I experimented a bit last year, and ended up with passable results... although I wasn't able to try it in pizzamaking.  It's a fair amount of work, and it takes a fairly large amount of milk for not-so-much cheese/curd;  it may just be easier to just go out and buy some, like has already been suggested, and skip the messy parts.  That said, later this year, I think I may begin experimenting again...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
hey, does anyone know what brand of curd the guy in the video is using?   he says its from buzzards bay ma, which is very close to where I live, but I don't know about any mozzarella producers here.   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
Just found this video on youtube.  I like how this guy makes his mozz, plus he wraps it just like I do.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
Good find.  I wonder if he has any feeling left in his hands? :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
Good find.  I wonder if he has any feeling left in his hands? :chef:

Gene, the numbness is only temporary I'm sure.   :-D

Here is a pizza I made recently with cheese that has been frozen and thawed from the batch I made when I made the videos in post 1.