Author Topic: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video  (Read 13070 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 11:05:48 PM »
Nice.  Looks like it was freshly made.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
Just found this video on youtube.  I like how this guy makes his mozz, plus he wraps it just like I do.

That was a great video. I have to laugh every time he calls it "muzadell", because that is what my NYC side of the family called it when I was growing up. In fact my mother just called it that a few days ago. How that word got twisted for the entire NY area including New Jersey is beyond me.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Chau - Have you ever frozen the actual curd itself for stretching later?

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
John I have and it makes for a good product if the curd is well protected, but the more common practice is to freeze the xtra cheese rather than the curd.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Thanks Chau - I have 22 pounds of curd coming from a local producer, so I will just do a big batch and see what happens. I appreciate you documenting your experience here, as it has been tremendously helpful.

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
Your welcome John.  I'd do 2lb batches at a time to get the feel down before doing all of it.  I also like to do 10lbs one day and then the other half several days later.  It's a 2-3 hour process but is very relaxing.

Offline moose13

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
Hey great videos!
I made some fresh mozz today and i will not melt on a pizza, and ideas of what i did wrong?
I am thinking i did not heat and stretch enough. I used the microwave to heat as the directions said. Maybe i should do the hot water like you did in the video. I only had store bought whole milk and a cheese making kit and recipe.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Moose, while I never did buy the kit, I have tried many times and without success, make "good" homemade mozzarella using the same process. While I can make a homemade mozz with store bought milk that will melt on pizza, it just doesn't have the same texture, melt, and creaminess of a really good mozz.  I have read about other issues such as premature burning resembling that of a roasted marshmallow.  Personally, at this point I'm skeptical that it can be done effectively.  You can keep on trying as I did but in the end it was a wasted effort and wasted milk.  IMO, I think the problem lies with pasteurization of the milk.  It somehow changes it's ability to make good cheese.   As noted earlier in the thread, I have heard from a few members that were able to successfully make a good cheese using fresh raw milk.  I am not able to source raw milk here locally otherwise I would have tested it already.

I have tried with liquid rennet, which is suppose to be better than the tablets (junket rennet).  I have also tried adding calcium chloride to the milk.  I have tried adding live culture and allowing the cheese to curd slowly overnight as well.  All making cheese that is not worthy to place on any pizza.

My suggestion, is to ditch the cheese kit and buy pre made curd from restaurant depot or a food distributor of the like.  It is much easier, less expensive overall, and makes a much much better end product.   Something that will melt properly, look and taste like real mozz.

Moose, if you are able to make a mozz from home made curd you are happy with for use on pizza using this kit, or any other method I would love to hear about it. 

Good luck,
Chau
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:51:35 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline moose13

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
Thanks for the great reply!
I live in a small town in Wyoming. Many miles from any real civilization (the main reason i started making my own pizza).
So, like many things here my options are limited. The local grocery store sells some pretty good fresh mozz, and probably makes sense just to buy it. I just thought it would be fun to try. I may try it again sometime. Thanks Chau!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
Thanks for the great reply!
I live in a small town in Wyoming. Many miles from any real civilization (the main reason i started making my own pizza).
So, like many things here my options are limited. The local grocery store sells some pretty good fresh mozz, and probably makes sense just to buy it. I just thought it would be fun to try. I may try it again sometime. Thanks Chau!

Moose you are welcome.  I agree it's always fun to try and learn new things, even if we learn that is not the way to do it.  I'll never fault anyone for experimenting, but rather encourage it.  I was just saving you a bit of time and money.  Believe me, I have tried the various different methods, along with 5-6 different brands of organic and non organic milk.  In the end it was truely wasted effort, time, and money.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am very skeptical at this point that it can be made easily.  

If you can source raw milk, I would definitely give that a try as you might have better luck.  

Store bought fresh mozz, typically costs about $6/lb here in NM and IMHO, are not as good as the Polly O cheese I make at home for around $3/lb.  The problem is sourcing the curd.  I have had a friend ship it to me during the winter time.   You also have to make a lot at once and store it in the freezer.  Fortunately it freezes and thaws well.  

Chau
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:58:54 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online shuboyje

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
I've spent many hours researching making mozzarella.  Just like pizzmaking.com there are some great cheese forums out there and I have talked with their brightest minds. From this I came to 3 conclusions.
1.  Mozzarella is one of the hardest cheeses to make. 
2.  It is so hard to make because the pH is critical at many steps.  There is a small window which requires the use of a good pH meter.
3.  Homogenization is said to be a bigger issue then pasteurization.  You can find non-raw milk in many areas that has not been homogenized that is said to yield great results.

All that said I've yet to make great mozz even with my ph meter in hand, but my last try did get pretty close.
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
Jeff, thank you for your input.  I really don't want to have to monitor the curd that closely for that length of time unless it will yield drastically better results.  I will be sticking to pre made curd.  ;D.

Offline moose13

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
My wife brought an extra gallon of milk home so i tried another batch.
As of yet it is surprisingly better. Instead of the microwave heating method i used the hot water.
It is currently cooling, the flavor is much better as i used a bit more salt. So far anyways the texture is smooth and very shiny.
I was able to stretch it out a full ams width and fold back again.
I suppose the ultimate test is on a pizza. I will let you know.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58:55 AM »
Here's another look at a guy who looks like a pro and he's using the same curds and methods as Chau   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7p25YJQk0&feature=related

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
John I have and it makes for a good product if the curd is well protected, but the more common practice is to freeze the xtra cheese rather than the curd.

I've been researching making mozzarella from curd and came across something which said you could easily freeze the curd. They suggested wrapping well (naturally) and soaking in a salt water soulution for a couple of days after it comes out of the freezer.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
I've been researching making mozzarella from curd and came across something which said you could easily freeze the curd. They suggested wrapping well (naturally) and soaking in a salt water soulution for a couple of days after it comes out of the freezer.

Please let us know how it works out.  I have only tried freezing curd one time but I forgot about it and it was frozen for 6-8 months.  When I made cheese with it, it tasted of freezer burn.  The cheese I make from curd last year still melts and eats the same as day 1.  I think freezing curd can be a good idea if you can't get to it right away and want to make cheese for another day but I wouldn't freeze it beyond 6 months.  Curd should last several weeks to a month in the fridge if you vacuum seal the unused portion.  I would also give it good washing before making curd with it as well. 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Tran Man

As soon as the curds are available through Amazon (Polly-O brand), i'm gonna give it a shot. If I do freeze some, which will depend on if I can get someone to split the order with me, I'll post on how they hold up. You inspired me with your video, looks like a fun project with a great reward!

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
The video and brine recipe is great, BTW.

I bought a 20# Polly-O curd block which I portioned, vac sealed, and froze about 8 months ago which I just finished off. By thawing the portions and following Chau's method to make muzz, I've seen excellent results. No freezer burn taste, but again these are vac sealed. I just ordered a 20# Grande curd block which I will do the same to.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline landras

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »
Hi chau, thanks for the video.
The polly O you get is frozen?  I found (well craig did actually)  a place where they sell the 2/21lb for $149 but it They sell the Belgioso and this one is fresh not frozen.
thanks