Author Topic: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video  (Read 20132 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
I've spent many hours researching making mozzarella.  Just like pizzmaking.com there are some great cheese forums out there and I have talked with their brightest minds. From this I came to 3 conclusions.
1.  Mozzarella is one of the hardest cheeses to make. 
2.  It is so hard to make because the pH is critical at many steps.  There is a small window which requires the use of a good pH meter.
3.  Homogenization is said to be a bigger issue then pasteurization.  You can find non-raw milk in many areas that has not been homogenized that is said to yield great results.

All that said I've yet to make great mozz even with my ph meter in hand, but my last try did get pretty close.
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
Jeff, thank you for your input.  I really don't want to have to monitor the curd that closely for that length of time unless it will yield drastically better results.  I will be sticking to pre made curd.  ;D.

Offline moose13

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
My wife brought an extra gallon of milk home so i tried another batch.
As of yet it is surprisingly better. Instead of the microwave heating method i used the hot water.
It is currently cooling, the flavor is much better as i used a bit more salt. So far anyways the texture is smooth and very shiny.
I was able to stretch it out a full ams width and fold back again.
I suppose the ultimate test is on a pizza. I will let you know.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58:55 AM »
Here's another look at a guy who looks like a pro and he's using the same curds and methods as Chau   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7p25YJQk0&feature=related
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
John I have and it makes for a good product if the curd is well protected, but the more common practice is to freeze the xtra cheese rather than the curd.

I've been researching making mozzarella from curd and came across something which said you could easily freeze the curd. They suggested wrapping well (naturally) and soaking in a salt water soulution for a couple of days after it comes out of the freezer.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
I've been researching making mozzarella from curd and came across something which said you could easily freeze the curd. They suggested wrapping well (naturally) and soaking in a salt water soulution for a couple of days after it comes out of the freezer.

Please let us know how it works out.  I have only tried freezing curd one time but I forgot about it and it was frozen for 6-8 months.  When I made cheese with it, it tasted of freezer burn.  The cheese I make from curd last year still melts and eats the same as day 1.  I think freezing curd can be a good idea if you can't get to it right away and want to make cheese for another day but I wouldn't freeze it beyond 6 months.  Curd should last several weeks to a month in the fridge if you vacuum seal the unused portion.  I would also give it good washing before making curd with it as well. 

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Tran Man

As soon as the curds are available through Amazon (Polly-O brand), i'm gonna give it a shot. If I do freeze some, which will depend on if I can get someone to split the order with me, I'll post on how they hold up. You inspired me with your video, looks like a fun project with a great reward!

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
The video and brine recipe is great, BTW.

I bought a 20# Polly-O curd block which I portioned, vac sealed, and froze about 8 months ago which I just finished off. By thawing the portions and following Chau's method to make muzz, I've seen excellent results. No freezer burn taste, but again these are vac sealed. I just ordered a 20# Grande curd block which I will do the same to.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline landras

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »
Hi chau, thanks for the video.
The polly O you get is frozen?  I found (well craig did actually)  a place where they sell the 2/21lb for $149 but it They sell the Belgioso and this one is fresh not frozen.
thanks

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:46 AM »
Hi chau, thanks for the video.
The polly O you get is frozen?  I found (well craig did actually)  a place where they sell the 2/21lb for $149 but it They sell the Belgioso and this one is fresh not frozen.
thanks

You are welcome Landras and no the curd is not frozen.  I haven't made mozz in a while but last time I bought curd a few years back, I believe the cost was around $100 and not $149.  Boy has the price seemingly skyrocketed.  The Belgioso curd isn't bad at all.  I think that is the brand Roberto uses.  From what I remember, it makes a cheese that is slightly creamier than the Polly-O.

Chau 

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »
Hi everyone. I know this post has been inactive for a while. But thought it might hit someones radar with the answer. So I'm experimenting with curds right now and wanted to get some Poly-O. Haven't found any at RD in the Bay Area of CA but I'm sure I will eventually get my hands on some. My main question is which type you guys are using? There seems to be 3 types sold by Poly-O. here is a snapshot of them...

7104001002   POLLY-O   Whole Milk Split Curd    2   21 lb bags
7104001000   POLLY-O   Whole Mik Curd    1   43 lb bags
7104001010   POLLY-O   Curd   2   10 lb bags

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »

All three you listed are Polly-O Gold Curd, just packaged differently.

The only size my local RD carries is the 01002...(2 21 lb bags to a case) but they will split them.

Offline Omidz

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:46 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. So it's seems to just be a matter of quantify then on these different types. I'm disappointed that all the RD's in driving distance to me in Nor. Cal don't stock the curd. Still looking for a source.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
All three you listed are Polly-O Gold Curd, just packaged differently.

The only size my local RD carries is the 01002...(2 21 lb bags to a case) but they will split them.

How much $$ is a 21lb bag at RD?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »

Last month a 21 lb bag of Polly-O curd was $65 at RD.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »

Price update-as of this A.M. price is up to $70.53 for 21 lb bag of Polly-O curd at RD.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
Thank you.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline Omidz

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:36 AM »
How much mozzarella does one pound of curd yield?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
It's 1:1

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »

I lose about 7% after melting and cooking.  Higher water temp may play a role.

Offline Omidz

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:14 AM »
Hi Chau. I'm doing a mozz. cheese tasting/testing this weekend. One of them will be house made fresh mozz. curds are from Di Stefano which is a premium brand down in L.A. In preparing to make mozz. I went over this post and most importantly your video here. Thanks for the detailed steps they really help. I just a have a couple of questions:

1. I know you prefer to wrap your mozz. plastic food wrap balls. what is the reason you don't store them in a whey/brine mixture to hold their shape? Naturally this won't work for freeing but if you are keeping at room temp or refrigerating for a few days will it work?  is it to avoid losing more butter fat?

2. On the topic of salt. It's pretty clear you are salting your ice water. But what else are you salting and why? Seems most just salt the final brine solution before storing/wrapping. I would like to know your opinion on the benefits of salting the actual heated water that you stretch the mozz in.

Thank Chau

Omid (from the Bay)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
Hello Omid, I'm glad you found the video useful.

1) If not freezing, you can store the mozz at room temperature in plastic wrap or in salted whey water.  You won't lose any more or less butter fat with either method.

2) on salting the heated water versus just salting the final brine.  It's strictly a matter of taste.  I prefer the taste of the cheese with salt added to the heated water.

Chau

Offline Don Cornicone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »
My wife is nursing so I have a freezer full of little bags of raw whole milk.  I'm sure I could make some mozz out of that stuff and sell it for a fortune as a secret ingredient of the pros to someone online! 
I have access to raw milk, I do the electrical for a milk farmer so he gives me all I want.   Guernseys with high milk fat content.  I am going to do a batch of Mozz soon, as I can not find any fresh mozz in the stores in this area that do not fail on the pizza.  I am only baking at 525, but plan to do high heat when I do an oven build.  So if they can't hold up to 525 I don't think they will do me much good later, so I will make my own.
   These videos are great and I'm sure will be very helpful, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.  and Your Neo pizza looks...and sounds...delicious!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
Chau:

We just made fresh mozz from curds last night at home.  Last weekend, we did it for the first time - learning from some pizza friends.

Your video was invaluable.  Great tips, thanks for doing it!  It was delicious.
Mitch