Author Topic: pizza scene in calgary, alberta  (Read 3449 times)

Offline CDNpielover

pizza scene in calgary, alberta
« on: June 04, 2005, 07:14:11 PM »
can anyone suggest pizza in calgary, alberta?  i've lived here for 4 years now and cannot find a decent pie anywhere.  the market seems flooded by '2 for 1' shops which use the cheapest available ingredients to undercut the guy nexdt door who is doing the same thing.

i've had tom's house of pizza a couple of times, but it's just not my thing.

i would love to find some chicago thin crust here.

Offline The Buzz

• I Love Pizza!
Re: pizza scene in calgary, alberta
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:02:29 PM »

Check out Giovanni's in the NorthEast (and say hi to Mama), or George's by Stampede Park. Galliano's in Mayland Heights is pretty good too.

Offline mr kia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »
I was never big on chains until I tried Vern's Pizza. There is one in that strip mall by Franklin c-train station.

I suggest you try it "by the slice." The full pies get too soggy. (Plus they are too heavy for 1 man to carry.)

Sis and her husband vote for Caruso's on 4 st nw.

I will certainly try the places that the Buzz suggests.

If I was being hanged tomorrow, I would have pizza tonight.

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:00:25 AM »
I know that a new Napoletana style pizzeria opened up in Calgary in the past month or two.  I will try and find out the name, but I know the pizzaiolo from Napoli that is working there.  I will try and find out the name for you.

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 01:10:59 AM »
Looks like it is called Pulcinella's.
Here is a review from the Calgary paper.  The critic says he prefers thick greasy American pizza not authentic Napoli style.

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=155142&x=articles&s=dine

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 09:39:59 PM »
Looks like it is called Pulcinella's.
Here is a review from the Calgary paper.  The critic says he prefers thick greasy American pizza not authentic Napoli style.

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=155142&x=articles&s=dine

I do not live in Calgary, but visit there often.  For me Calgary is a pizza wasteland.  About the only way to find a bad meal in Calgary is to order pizza.  It makes me dream of Pizza Hut.  I have eaten at Pulcinella's, and it's sad.  Sad because such a wonderful crust is wasted with a watery bland sauce.  However, judged relitive to other Calgary pizza, it's a winner.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »
yea, the pizza here sucks.  I have found a couple of *decent* places (sandro's in NW, Pizza Bobs on kensington rd., Il Centro near chinook, and tom's house of pizza), but still nothing compares to even a mediocre midwestern (chicago thin) mom and pop joint that I grew up on.

Here's a pizza page that might interest folks:
http://www.chowhound.com/topics/show/308053

Offline fattony

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:21:46 AM »
I do not live in Calgary, but visit there often.  For me Calgary is a pizza wasteland.  About the only way to find a bad meal in Calgary is to order pizza.  It makes me dream of Pizza Hut.  I have eaten at Pulcinella's, and it's sad.  Sad because such a wonderful crust is wasted with a watery bland sauce.  However, judged relitive to other Calgary pizza, it's a winner.

I'm just curious as to where you're from. I love pizza and would travel anywhere to try a great slice of pie!

Offline Peacemaker88

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 01:20:19 AM »
I like Sophie's Pizza.... smoked oyster and red onion pizza!  Awesome!

pizzapan