Author Topic: Carbone's Pizza in Minnesota  (Read 2410 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Carbone's Pizza in Minnesota
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
Hi,

There is a regional chain called Carbone's that has locations throughout central Minnesota and east-central Wisconsin.  They make a MEAN Chicago-style thin crust pizza, but what really stands out for me is the sauce.  I've tried to make something similar from memory, but can never quite nail it down since i've moved far away and only get back there once a year or so.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has had Carbone's, and whether or not anyone has attempted to reverse engineer this pie?  i'm particularly interested in the sauce since I've had great success using the V&N clone dough, but I would be interested in the dough too if anyone has taken a stab at that.

Their website is http://www.carbonespizzeria.com.  I tried looking there for an ingredient list, but unfortunately no dice.

And also, here is the website for the other "original" location which is actually different than the chain due to a family dispute: http://www.carbonesonrandolph.com/

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
Re: Carbone's Pizza in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Yeah, I've been there many times... but are they truly a "Chicago thin?"

I have not tried to reverse engineer their pizza, as I don't find it to be that extraordinary, though it's decent, and it's in the rotation of pizza places I hit.

I promise that next time I go there, I will take plenty of pictures for your analysis!

-Clive

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
yea, it's definitely Chicago-style thin crust.  you actually find that style all over the midwest and even in places such as winnipeg, canada.  IMO a more accurate name would be "Midwestern-style thin crust," but for some reason "chicago-style" has stuck. 

I'm actually going to be back in the cities next month, i'm gonna see if I can dig up an ingredient list when i'm there.  >:D

Offline Nickos219

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
pretty good pizza id say
Jakeenos is better IMO

grew up on pizza in mpls

pizzapan