Author Topic: Two probes ?  (Read 835 times)

Offline bioubiou

Two probes ?
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to get my old GE electric oven to a just a bit higher temperature than 550F. I'd be happy with 650F.

Since I don't know of anyway to calibrate the thermostat, I thought I would try some tricks that isolate or cool down the probe. But actually, there are *two* probes, please see attached file for a picture.

I tried to isolate the small one on the left with some foil and a broken piece of stone. It did not work: it stopped at about 575F and then cooled down. But actually when playing with the temperature dial, it "clicked" at about 400F, but the light wouldn't turn on and none of the elements would heat. (just tell me if that last sentence isn't clear !)

Could the electric probe (the big one next to the broiler element) be some kind of security ?

Thanks !
Beru

Offline The Dub Oracle

Re: Two probes ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »
I think there are two heat sensors because the temperature in that way is measured in between of them, because hot air wants to move up.
If you move the upper sensor down, the oven wil be hotter in that way, how much i dont know.
Aluminium foil wont work in this way, you must find a stone or something that has a low heat conductivity to put the sensor in.
Or something that has a lot of mass like a lomb of iron, than you fool the termostat also, but it will turn the oven off eventually.

By the way i baked as test today a pizza with no outer rim, and it worked, because the toppings holded back the warm air the rim roose more than the inner part of the dough.
Some questions answered for me in baking.
Only 3 minutes baking time
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:49:51 PM by The Dub Oracle »

pizzapan