Author Topic: cracked pizza stone  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Squirrelman

cracked pizza stone
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »
Hey, a while ago my pizza stone broke in half when I put it back in the oven, pretty much I'm wondering if anyone could guess at the reason, if it's just a cheap pizza stone (likely but maybe its mishandling too), If I mishandled it and that's why it broke, or if there is any other reason so I can avoid breaking my next pizza stone.

i'll include a picture of it at the end but basically when it broke I had used it for 1 pizza and then went straight to the next after taking the first pizza off it. while using it I took the pizza out and the stone halfway and put it on the counter while I topped it and then put it back in, when I put it back in its kind of hard to put down so it did drop like half an inch when I tried taking my oven mitt out but it didn't hit very hard so idk if this could have been the cause, I would guess it should be durable enough to withstand a tiny drop, but maybe I'm wrong. I mean I didn't exactly drop it, but anyway I also assume that they are safe to use multiple times in a row but I'm not sure about that either, I ended up using it 3 times in a  row at 500 degrees I think.

so yeah if anyone could tell me if I was mishandling it or if its just a cheaply made stone so I can avoid breaking future stones I would be thankful, not sure how much it cost since it was a gift but it looked like a pretty cheap stone and came with some cheap 10 cent quality pizza cutter that I never used, so it was probably pretty cheap too.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4682/dsc00928vk.jpg

thanks in advance.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: cracked pizza stone
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »
Those things crack after one use sometimes. I doubt you did anything wrong.

avoid the expense in the future by using unglazed quarry tiles. A whole box of them cost less than half of most pizza stones, and when they crack, you only have to replace one, instead of a $30-$50 stone.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »
Those things crack after one use sometimes. I doubt you did anything wrong.

avoid the expense in the future by using unglazed quarry tiles. A whole box of them cost less than half of most pizza stones, and when they crack, you only have to replace one, instead of a $30-$50 stone.

actually I was reading up on those too since I would actually like to make larger pizzas anyway and I assume you can buy different size tiles or combine a different number of them to have a bigger area. thanks again.

Offline Art

• la pizza θ la mia vita!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
You took the stone out of the oven with the pizza on it and then put it back in for the next pizza??
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »
actually I was reading up on those too since I would actually like to make larger pizzas anyway and I assume you can buy different size tiles or combine a different number of them to have a bigger area. thanks again.
Yep, you can. When I bought mine, I got 6" tiles.

I've upgraded to the Little Black Egg since then. No more ridiculously insanely hot kitchen/house. I do it all on the back porch.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »
You took the stone out of the oven with the pizza on it and then put it back in for the next pizza??

to be exact I took it out with 1 pizza put toppings on put it back in and then took it out a few mins later and took that 1 off and put the next pizza on it and repeated the same thing with the next pizza. anyway going to check by me for the pizza safe tiles.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
You get what you pay for when it comes to pizza stones.  I have a pampered chef 13" stone that is about as thin as yours and a PC deep dish stone.  BOth have been used countless number of times at low and at quite high temps (900F +).  I have had them for 10 yrs and both are still fine.  I just bought a Primo Pizza stone that has been kiln fired to 2000+ deg.   Barring dropping them, I can't see it cracking.  The Primo stone is twice as thick at about 1" and it too has seen very hot temps to room temps and back in at high temps.  No problems. 

I have cracked 2 (1") saltillo tiles ($8 each), a 16" round terra cotta pot base about 3/4" thick ($14), a travertine unglazed tile (thin) $3, and a slate stone tile ($3).  That's $36.  Everything that has cracked on me were cheapie alternatives that were not meant for the oven.  The higher price stuff I have has lasted and will likely continue to do so.  My vote is splurge and buy a nice stone.  Don't wash it with soap and don't drop it and it should be fine.  Most ovens will take a 16" stone but not larger so measure out your oven first before buying. 

IF you can find natural  a stone (tile) that is THICK (at least 1") and for cheap then they should be fine.  Also look into firebricks at your  local fireplace store.  They will work well and dont' cost much. 

Good luck .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:41:26 PM by Tranman »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
One word "Fibrament" You'll never regret it. They will custom cut to the size of you oven and has commercial quality. Just like anything, buy quality and you only cry once!!
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »
One word "Fibrament" You'll never regret it. They will custom cut to the size of you oven and has commercial quality. Just like anything, buy quality and you only cry once!!
Jon

yeah I've read about that on the forum as well, but about how much do they cost? They sound pretty expensive, I might decide to buy one another time but atm can't really afford it.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
Well depending on the size, but they are about $60 and up.  If you want to go the less expensive route, then look into firebricks.  You won't get optimal results with the other stones unless they are thick.  Also be careful of chips of stones coming off if they crack.  Chips can be lodge and hidden in the cheese or crust and will definitely crack a tooth. 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:36 AM »
yeah I've read about that on the forum as well, but about how much do they cost? They sound pretty expensive, I might decide to buy one another time but atm can't really afford it.

I had mine cut to the dimensions of my oven leaving 1" perimeter all around. With shipping cost me 90 bucks. Well worth a hobby I do a lot of. Spent thousands on fishing tackle an boat I figure a couple hundred tops for scales, screens, stones and the like.....what the hell. The Warden (my beautiful bride) spends more than that on shoes every few months!!!! Gotta get our licks in too.....
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »
I'm also using a kiln shelf for my LBE. A 15" for the top stone on the lid, and a 19" for the cooking surface. The 15" was about $25 locally sourced. The 19" was $50 (with shipping).
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
 Ok, so I went to home depot and bought some terra cotta tiles. I believe they are unglazed, they don't look shiny. The people there really didn't know much about them as far as cooking or heating temperatures and if there are any chemicals in them so I'm hoping you could tell me if these are the right ones for cooking? they seem to be unglazed but my father says clay isn't naturally this color so he thinks they are pigmented, is this true and if so are they safe to cook on? any clue of the maximum temperature terra cotta can be cooked at without breaking? Also I read somewhere that I should wash these in water and then l;et them air dry and then put them in the over at like 200 degrees and slowly raise the temperature to dry them out or they would break from the moisture being trapped inside, is this true and the right procedure? Again the main question is if these seem to be the correct ones and are safe to cook on. Here are some pictures.

bottom
(http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6008/dsc00988u.th.jpg)

(http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5696/dsc00987b.th.jpg)
(http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1832/dsc00986u.th.jpg)

thanks again in advance.

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:02:35 PM »
Those are the ones I have. You're good if you use them in an unmodified home oven (500 degrees or so).

I use them as a buffer between my firebrick and the kiln shelf on my LBE. They've cracked under high heat, so don't use them in a high heat environment.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
Those are the ones I have. You're good if you use them in an unmodified home oven (500 degrees or so).

I use them as a buffer between my firebrick and the kiln shelf on my LBE. They've cracked under high heat, so don't use them in a high heat environment.

would you say they are safe up to 550 degrees without cracking? I usually cook at 500 or below but its good to know anyway.

oh and how much did your fire bricks cost? I was thinking of looking into them but figured these would do for now and didn't want to run all over looking for them. and yep unmodified oven, just plan on fitting all 9 in if I can which is 18 inches unless I am mistaken somehow (6x6 tiles) and then heat them and cook on them and when I'm done let them cool in the oven while its off for a while and then take them out. of course the pizza would be taken out right away by itself.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
Squirrelman,

I have this cordierite stone from American Metalcraft in my oven for years, the square one and have never had any problems whatsoever. It's the next best thing to the Fibrament, which I use in my LBE.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-ps1416-rectangular-pizza-baking-stone-14-x-16/124PS1416.html
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
would you say they are safe up to 550 degrees without cracking? I usually cook at 500 or below but its good to know anyway.

oh and how much did your fire bricks cost? I was thinking of looking into them but figured these would do for now and didn't want to run all over looking for them. and yep unmodified oven, just plan on fitting all 9 in if I can which is 18 inches unless I am mistaken somehow (6x6 tiles) and then heat them and cook on them and when I'm done let them cool in the oven while its off for a while and then take them out. of course the pizza would be taken out right away by itself.
Not sure about 550. Not a complete expert on that, sorry.

Firebricks, the one inch thick ones, run about $1-1.50 a piece, or so. Putting a bunch of them on your oven shelf may be too kinda heavy. Two layers of the quarry tiles would still give you thermal mass, but shave some weight.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
one more question about these tiles, I am planning on making french bread in a few days, is it safe to spray these with water while they are hot or will they crack? thanks in advance again.

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
I've never done it... and I've never thought about doing it. I think you might be better spraying the walls of the oven instead.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
I've never done it... and I've never thought about doing it. I think you might be better spraying the walls of the oven instead.

ah, well its to spray the french bread actually, but it would be near impossible to not get any on the tiles in the process. maybe I'll just test it with 1 of them and see if anything happens. also might have a container of water in the ven too so I wonder if the steam in the oven could do any harm, although I assume since moisture from pizza dough gets on them then they will probably be fine with some steam, not so sure about the sudden warm water being sprayed on them while they are hot though, if I decide to test it I'll post whether or not they survived the experiment lol. would only test it on 1 of them though.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
one more question about these tiles, I am planning on making french bread in a few days, is it safe to spray these with water while they are hot or will they crack? thanks in advance again.

You are better off putting a cast iron fry pan in the bottom of the oven during the pre-heat and as you put the bread in the oven, a handful of ice cubes go into the cast iron pan for a nice slow release of moisture.
Jon

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:42 AM »

They're good to 550 deg.  I've used them at that temperature for years.

Online Davydd

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
The terra cotta tiles were originally fired at an extremely high temperature. They'll withstand an oven. Any stone or tile could crack if it is susceptible to drastic temperature changes or moisture. Never get a stone wet and don't take a hot stone out of an oven. The whole idea of stones is to retain heat and why many of us will pre-heat a stone 30 minutes or more before putting a pizza in. So taking the stone out with the pizza and trying to bake a second pizza defeats the pre-heat concept and does abruptly change the temperature. Spraying a stone can change its temperature and induce stress. Wetting down or washing a stone can also cause it to retain moisture that is not visually apparent and stress it under high heat. I never wet a stone. I clean my stone between use with a paint scraper and have had great success thoroughly cleaning a stone by leaving it in the oven when cleaning the oven. I haven't cracked mine yet after three years of use.
Davydd

Offline jbenson

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 01:30:22 AM »
Well, the one thing nobody is mentioning is that you should never move the stone when it's hot. Use a peel! jefe
"my pies are generally squarish, I hope that's not too garish!"

pizzapan