Author Topic: cracked pizza stone  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: cracked pizza stone
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
one more question about these tiles, I am planning on making french bread in a few days, is it safe to spray these with water while they are hot or will they crack? thanks in advance again.

You are better off putting a cast iron fry pan in the bottom of the oven during the pre-heat and as you put the bread in the oven, a handful of ice cubes go into the cast iron pan for a nice slow release of moisture.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:42 AM »
would you say they are safe up to 550 degrees without cracking? I usually cook at 500 or below but its good to know anyway.

oh and how much did your fire bricks cost? I was thinking of looking into them but figured these would do for now and didn't want to run all over looking for them. and yep unmodified oven, just plan on fitting all 9 in if I can which is 18 inches unless I am mistaken somehow (6x6 tiles) and then heat them and cook on them and when I'm done let them cool in the oven while its off for a while and then take them out. of course the pizza would be taken out right away by itself.

They're good to 550 deg.  I've used them at that temperature for years.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
The terra cotta tiles were originally fired at an extremely high temperature. They'll withstand an oven. Any stone or tile could crack if it is susceptible to drastic temperature changes or moisture. Never get a stone wet and don't take a hot stone out of an oven. The whole idea of stones is to retain heat and why many of us will pre-heat a stone 30 minutes or more before putting a pizza in. So taking the stone out with the pizza and trying to bake a second pizza defeats the pre-heat concept and does abruptly change the temperature. Spraying a stone can change its temperature and induce stress. Wetting down or washing a stone can also cause it to retain moisture that is not visually apparent and stress it under high heat. I never wet a stone. I clean my stone between use with a paint scraper and have had great success thoroughly cleaning a stone by leaving it in the oven when cleaning the oven. I haven't cracked mine yet after three years of use.
Davydd

Offline jbenson

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 01:30:22 AM »
Well, the one thing nobody is mentioning is that you should never move the stone when it's hot. Use a peel! jefe
"my pies are generally squarish, I hope that's not too garish!"