Author Topic: Sodium-free Dough  (Read 880 times)

Offline hammettjr

Sodium-free Dough
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:42:15 AM »
Hi Tom,

I’ve been making pizza for about six months and with the help of the many forum members here I’ve been able to make a very good, tasty pizza with sodium free dough.
While I am happy with my current pizzas, I thought I’d take the opportunity to tap into your expertise and ask if you had any suggestions regarding making dough without salt.

My current process is to use a breadmachine to mix and knead the dough. I only allow it to knead for a few minutes, which helps me achieve a fairly light crumb (not dense and breadlike). From the breadmachine, the rough doughball is lightly oiled, placed in a container, and refrigerated for 2 days. I found that less than a 2-day fermentation left me with a very bland crust. After the 2 days, I let the dough warm up for anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. I have not noticed a difference in the outcome with the different warm up periods. I then form the crust, top the pizza and bake it on a preheated pizza stone at 550 degrees for about 7 minutes.

I still have a bit of trouble stretching and working with the dough, though I attribute this mostly to my inexperience, rather than my atypical dough. When I bought a doughball from a local pizzeria to try to get the feel of a ‘proper’ doughball, I did find it a bit easier to work with. 2 experienced forum members (Bill and Don), however, were kind enough to experiment with salt-free dough and reported good results. Their comments include “the dough was very supple and workable” and “It came out great,and really was not much different than my doughs made with salt”.

My recipe is a variation of the forum’s “Lehmann” recipes.  :D
The recipe below is for one 14-inch round pizza. Note that I did not notice any change in the dough when I began adding garlic and onion powder, except for the welcomed addition of flavor in the final product.

100% King Arthur Bread Flour
60% Water
2% Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
3% Sugar
0.5% IDY
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
Dough ball weight = 393 grams (excluding the garlic and onion powder)

That’s everything I thought may be relevant, though I’d be happy to provide any additional information. I look forward to your thoughts.

Thank you,
Matt

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Sodium-free Dough
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »
Matt;
What you're doing is probably on par with about as good as it gets. If you are trying to make a more healthy profiled pizza, with reduced sodium content, dress youe dough with slices of fresh tomato, and green leaf basil, reduce the cheese content to not more than 4-ounces for a 12" pizza, and use fresh vegetables and meat that you have pre-cooked yourself (without salt, of course), and you should have a pretty good sodium profile.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hammettjr

Re: Sodium-free Dough
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
Thank you Tom, I'll stay close to my current protocol.