Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 132292 times)

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
Hi All,

I am brand new to the forum and pizza making. I recently purchased a Pizza Party oven. I have made a few pizzas in my home oven using recipes by Peter Reinhardt and one I found on ChefSteps by Joe Hefferman. My 1st attempt in the Pizza Party oven was a disaster. I think I had the oven too hot. Pizza burnt in 30 seconds! :-[ Today I tried the Craig's recipe with better results however the issue I am having with all of the recipes I've made is that the dough seems to slack. When I tried to stretch the dough it practically stretched itself. I use the slap and stretch method but found it difficult because the dough had no resistance. I can't figure out if it's a hydration or fermentation issue. Any tips on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

How long was the dough in balls? If 24 hours+, try 12 hours in balls with the rest in bulk. If it's still too slack, work down the time in  balls a couple hours at a time until you find what works for you.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
Iv'e been asked a couple times recently how I feed my starter, so I'll post the answer here:

Nowadays, I usually feed it about 6 hours before I use it. I keep about a pint. To feed, I add about a pint of water (50:50 starter:water) then discard half and add enough flour to make it a thick batter consistency. It would just barely pour.

It's less important precisely how you feed your culture than it is that you do it the same way every time. This will help you achieve consistent, predictable results.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline brYanC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2016, 09:46:14 PM »
How long was the dough in balls? If 24 hours+, try 12 hours in balls with the rest in bulk. If it's still too slack, work down the time in  balls a couple hours at a time until you find what works for you.
Thank you. I did a bulk ferment for 24 hours @ approx 65 degrees and then balled the dough and fermented for approximately 8-9 hours. The balls were around 250 grams and were put in plastic containers. The balls were pretty flat when I took them out and definitely had some bubbles on the surface and the bottom. Next time I will try to ball later and see what happens. Thanks again.