Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 198049 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1760 on: November 24, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
I have not made a lot of NP lately. Lots of other things going on lately and been working on the Johnny's clone.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #1761 on: November 24, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »
Have you had a chance to try those Mutti tomatoes?
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1762 on: November 24, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
Not yet, but I will next time I make NP.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline creativeguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1763 on: November 27, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
Hi Craig. Happy Thanksgiving.
I'm new to this forum. It's so interesting to see how many people are even more obsessed with pizza then I am. Amazing! actually.
Anyways I'd like to try my hand at making the same pizzas that you make. I've never made one before. I do have a baking background. but fully self taught. I have worked in bakery's more then 28 years ago, never made pizza only bread and cakes cheesecakes and sweet goods. No formal schooling. hence the crappy grammer and spelling.
I am also an owner and  creator of a company called, LaRocca creative cakes in Toronto Canada.
I'm reading all your equations and formulations to make dough that you've so generasly shared with the rest of us, and it's pretty complicated looking. is there an easier way to interpret your formulations. I'm more of a visual learner. Even when I'm creating a new cake I have to have my assistant stand beside me writing everything down or I'll forget.
So I guess I'm just asking you if you can help me get started to making a really good pizza like the ones coming out of your garage?
Without to many equations.
How do I get started? how do I understand the fire the wood? the oven? My brother in-law has a pizza oven in his backyard. there also from napoli his dads a mason so they built it from scratch. we've made store bought dough in it but it sucked everytime.
Thanks! if you can help  me out in any way that would be really nice.
Marty.

Online dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1764 on: November 27, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
It's probably changed at least a little since then but he documented his procedure a couple years ago:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20477.0

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1765 on: November 27, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »
This is pretty much how I do everything I do: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.0.html

About the only thing I do differently is that I'm using a bit less water - usually 61.5% - 62%; I use a bit more yeast - about 1.9% - and let it rise a bit more; and I typically don't add any sugar to my sauce any more.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #1766 on: December 03, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
Craig, when you top a pie with Arugula, is it going on raw post-bake, or any oven time? Any prep (besides washing it)?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1767 on: December 03, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Craig, when you top a pie with Arugula, is it going on raw post-bake, or any oven time? Any prep (besides washing it)?

Always raw though I have had some really great pies with baked arugula. It wilts a lot less than you would expect in 60 seconds. I keep meaning to make some that way and I always forget. Usually I don't do anything to it, but sometimes I dress it with evoo, lemon juice, S&P.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #1768 on: December 04, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Thank you sir! I will do one in the next couple weeks. My wife is anti-arugula but we had a Biancoverde last week with a larger group, and she said she liked it, so I'll give it a try at our next party.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1769 on: December 04, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »
Always raw though I have had some really great pies with baked arugula. It wilts a lot less than you would expect in 60 seconds. I keep meaning to make some that way and I always forget. Usually I don't do anything to it, but sometimes I dress it with evoo, lemon juice, S&P.

Try arugula with preseved lemons. Or Brussels sprouts with preserved lemons. Boy are they good on pizza.

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #1770 on: December 08, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
I'll use this thread to post my pies from and what I learn about using my Acunto WFO.

Tonight's pies are 60% hydration (some 100% Caputo others 100% KAAP - can you tell which are which?), 60F fermentation for 30 hours in bulk and then 6 hours in balls at 77F. Bake time was ~60 seconds at 825F.

Most of the pies are pretty straight forewords. A couple exceptions - the mozz/lemon pie - it's home smoked mozz, thin lemon slices, fresh rosemary, red pepper flakes, EVOO, black pepper, and sea salt. It is really good, but it's an appetizer not a entree. I served it in the middle of my other pies, and it was disruptive. It should have been served first.

Bill/SFNM asked me if there were pigs in Texas when I joked there was not BBQ outside of TX. This inspired me to make Italian sausage out of ferrel hog shoulder. You will see it in one of the pies. I forget who gave me the idea for sausage on a Margherita, but thanks - it was really good!

CL

Holy %$#! Totally awsome dude
Carl