Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 368883 times)

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #2300 on: December 05, 2013, 06:46:59 AM »
Omid, thank you for the reply.   I can see what you mean in the third picture.   Maybe the ash that is against the retainer insulates the steel which would greatly reduce the temps radiating from it.
...does that effect happen to the cornicione every time you use the steel?   I am away from home until next week, and I can't wait to experiment with some ideas.

You are welcome. The effect does not happen every time I use the steel guard. I believe it primarily depends on how low or high the coals (supporting the burning logs) are stacked up and how far from the steel guard my pizzas are positioned. I would posit that the floor temperature and intensity of flames are also important factors to consider. It is such a dynamic environment inside the oven at high temperatures. Good day!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2301 on: December 05, 2013, 06:54:03 AM »
Here are some pizzas I baked last night at Pizzeria Bruno, using my own homemade dough. My Caputo Pizzeria dough (hydrated at about 65.5% and using fresh bakerís yeast) was fermented for only 10 + 5 hours at room temperature. For the last 5 hours, the ambient temperature at Bruno was lower than I needed, so I placed the dough tray for the last hour beneath the Ferrara oven, where the temperature was about 78įF. I should have done that earlier. Good day!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2302 on: December 05, 2013, 06:55:16 AM »
Continued . . .

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #2303 on: December 05, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
You are welcome. The effect does not happen every time I use the steel guard. I believe it primarily depends on how low or high the coals (supporting the burning logs) are stacked up and how far from the steel guard my pizzas are positioned. I would posit that the floor temperature and intensity of flames are also important factors to consider. It is such a dynamic environment inside the oven at high temperatures. Good day!

I was thinking the same thing, there are many variables to consider....dynamic environment indeed.   I think you have shown there is merit to using something like this in small diameter WFO's.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2304 on: December 05, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
Continued . . .

Your pics are making me hungry!

I noticed a seam along the left side of the tile work.on the oven.  Is that caused by an expansion crack or is it a seam in the mosaic mesh from the installation?

John Ruskin

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2305 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
Your pics are making me hungry!

I noticed a seam along the left side of the tile work.on the oven.  Is that caused by an expansion crack or is it a seam in the mosaic mesh from the installation?

I believe the gap between the tiles is caused by expansion because of heat. As far as I can see, there is no crack beneath the tiles. Good day!

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2306 on: December 06, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
Thanks Omid.

John Ruskin

Offline malvanova

« Reply #2307 on: December 06, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
Hello Omid what % or grms of fresh yeast  did you use in the mix. thats a one good looking pizza Napoletana :chef:

thank you

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2308 on: December 07, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »
Hello Omid what % or grms of fresh yeast  did you use in the mix. thats a one good looking pizza Napoletana :chef:

thank you

Dear Malvanova, I hope you and your girlfriend are in good health and spirits! Here is the formula that I employed:

Caputo "00" Pizzeria flour: 1700 gr. (Datum Point)
Water: 1114 gr. (65.50%)
Salt: 51 gr. (3%)
Fresh bakerís yeast: 0.70 gr. (0.041%)

Toward the end of mechanized mixing, which took 5 minutes and 12 seconds, I added 1 fistful of extra flour to adjust the dough consistency. In case you wonder why it took only 5 minutes and 12 seconds for my dough to develop during mixing, it is because dough formation and development happen very rapidly in the Santos mixer because of the fast speed of the fork, which quickly oxygenates the dough. Santos has only one fork speed, 84 RPM. I mentioned this because I believe the way my dough was developed during mixing played a significant role in the subsequent stages of dough development during the next 10 + 5 hours of fermentation. No stretch-and-folds were performed. Have a great weekend!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:56:05 AM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #2309 on: December 12, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
Omid I've noticed there's similarities between your pizza dough and barbari dough.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28933.msg291722.html#msg291722

I guess you could make some kind of pizza with barbari dough. Have you tried it? Do you think I can make barbari with my leftover caputo pizzeria '00' dough? Thanks

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2310 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
Omid I've noticed there's similarities between your pizza dough and barbari dough.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28933.msg291722.html#msg291722

I guess you could make some kind of pizza with barbari dough. Have you tried it? Do you think I can make barbari with my leftover caputo pizzeria '00' dough? Thanks

Yes, it is possible to make a divergent type of pizza with barbari dough balls. Or, sometimes, about 3 minutes before a barbari bread is fully baked inside my wood-fired oven, I take it out, top it with buffalo mozzarella, drizzle some crushed canned tomatoes and olive oil on top, and put the bread back inside the oven to bake for three more minutes. Delicious!

It is also possible to make barbari breads with your leftover caputo pizzeria dough balls, but you need to wait until your wood-fired oven cools down enough. Or, alternatively, you can bake them as barbari breads inside your conventional gas oven at about 450-550įF for about 9 to 14 minutes, depending on the state of your dough and oven. I have had satisfactory results. Good day!

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2311 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
I was returning from a Southern Arizona quail hunt, back to L.A. on Tuesday and thought about diverting thru San Diego to check out Bruno and see if Omid was around.  Good thing I checked the hours.  Closed Tuesdays  :(   Maybe next trip in late Jan.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2312 on: January 04, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
I was returning from a Southern Arizona quail hunt, back to L.A. on Tuesday and thought about diverting thru San Diego to check out Bruno and see if Omid was around.  Good thing I checked the hours.  Closed Tuesdays  :(   Maybe next trip in late Jan.

Chuck, well worth the diversion. Omid is a gentleman and wonderful in his environment at Bruno's.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2313 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »

Dear Bbqchuck, I'd be delighted to see you at Bruno. Please, let me know if you can make it on your next trip to San Diego. Good day!

Chuck, well worth the diversion. Omid is a gentleman and wonderful in his environment at Bruno's.

Mark

Thank you!

Offline fagilia

« Reply #2314 on: January 25, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
Hi,
I did read the whole thing today and i really like it all. So much knowledge.
I tried to come up with something to contribute with but the only thing i came up with was air.
I use a compressor to minimize smoke from the oven when its not super hot when putting on new logs.
I put the new logs in and at the same time I blow air onto the the coals to kickstart the new logs. Only White smoke is coming out.
I acually stopped use torch at all now. This is much easier for me.
Thanks for the Reading..

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2315 on: January 28, 2014, 07:40:05 PM »
Hi,
I did read the whole thing today and i really like it all. So much knowledge.
I tried to come up with something to contribute with but the only thing i came up with was air.
I use a compressor to minimize smoke from the oven when its not super hot when putting on new logs.
I put the new logs in and at the same time I blow air onto the the coals to kickstart the new logs. Only White smoke is coming out.
I acually stopped use torch at all now. This is much easier for me.
Thanks for the Reading..

Dear Fagilia, thank you for the tip. I remember the Neapolitan oven you tried to construct sometime ago at home. How do you like it so far? Do you have a picture of the finished oven? Have a great day!

Regards,
Omid

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #2316 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
I have to ask where can on obtain the Pucinelli figurines.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #2317 on: January 29, 2014, 02:27:17 AM »
Yes.
The oven works perfectly but it is not enclosed yet with tiles. I made 150 pizzas in it yesterday to try it out. Tried one of your workflows for the batch with less water 62 %. I tried to squeeze in for pizzas at the same time but that was just to hard..
Here is the result..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #2318 on: January 29, 2014, 02:43:39 AM »
And I have to point out that 20% of the pizzas went to family and friends and 80% were topped with cheap tomatoes like the picture above. Those 80% went back to mother earth by the way of my mothers compost. So will be able to grow my basil with Italian flour this year :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:45:24 AM by fagilia »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
ice pizza
« Reply #2319 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
that oven is awesome!  looks like it may have been a little chilly.  pizzas look wonderful
bill