Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 359354 times)

Offline fagilia

Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #2320 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
-12 degree celcius.. so prepping was made in the house and then carried out on the board  ;D

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #2321 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:36 AM »
I have to ask where can on obtain the Pucinelli figurines.

Dear PPGCowboy, the only place that I know of, where you can purchase Pulcinella figurines, is the VPN online store. Here is a link:

http://vpnstore.mybigcommerce.com/products/Pulcinella--M.html

Last time I was at the VPN in Marina del Ray, they had about 4 or 5 different Pulcinella figurines. The website shows only one kind. They may not have listed all of them therein. You can always call them to inquire. Good day!

Omid   
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2322 on: January 30, 2014, 06:36:26 AM »
Yes.
The oven works perfectly but it is not enclosed yet with tiles. I made 150 pizzas in it yesterday to try it out. Tried one of your workflows for the batch with less water 62 %. I tried to squeeze in for pizzas at the same time but that was just to hard..
Here is the result..

Thank you for the pictures. The oven and the pizzas look great. Have a great day!

Omid 

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2323 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:08 AM »
Last night, I baked some pizzas at Bruno Pizzeria, using my homemade dough and the pizzeria's Ferrara oven. Here is the basic recipe I followed:

Caputo '00' Pizzeria Flour (Datum Point)
  Water: 65.5%
  Salt: 3.15%
  Fresh Baker's Yeast: 0.03%

Straight Dough
  Mixer: Santos Fork Mixer (84 RPM)
  Knead Time: 6 minutes & 41 seconds

Initial Fermentation: 4 hours at room temperature (72-74ᴼF)
  Final Fermentation: 17 hours at room temperature (71-76ᴼF)

Dough-ball weight: About 260 to 270 grams each
  Final dough temperature before baking: 75ᴼF
  Oven temperature: Much hotter than I needed (about 935ᴼF on the floor)
  Bake time: Under 50 seconds

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2324 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:23 AM »
Continued . . .

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #2325 on: January 30, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
Wow, those are works of art!   Omid, what kind of oven is that?  I notice a lot of mortar on the top of the dome...ever get any on the floor?
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline nickr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2326 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »
Beautiful pizza.

Are your dough balls always this consistency? (as shown in the first picture in your last post)

- Nick

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2327 on: January 31, 2014, 04:00:09 AM »
Wow, those are works of art!   Omid, what kind of oven is that?  I notice a lot of mortar on the top of the dome...ever get any on the floor?

Thank you! The oven is a Neapolitan oven (130 centimeters in internal floor diameter) constructed by Stefano Ferrara of Naples. There are many US pizzerias that use Ferrara ovens. The stuff visible on the internal surface of the dome are not mortar or grout. They are some kind of buildup or accretion that were not there initially. I do not know what they are, but they have been gradually accumulating over the past four years. I believe this is what eventually happens to any Neapolitan oven that is in used over a long period of time. Stefano has told us that they are nothing to worry about.

Last night, I gently scraped, with the aid of a turning peel, some of the accretion to expose the brick behind it. (See where the flash points to in the first picture below.) So far, I have not witnessed the accretions fall down on the floor. As long as they are not physically disturbed, they seem to stay where they are.

The last two picture, below, are close-ups of the accretion. When I press down on them with my fingertip, they turn into a fine white powder that is odorless and tasteless. Does anyone know what the accretions are made of? Good day!

Omid     

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:09:33 AM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2328 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:16 AM »
Beautiful pizza.

Are your dough balls always this consistency? (as shown in the first picture in your last post)

- Nick

Dear Nick, thank you for the compliment. You asked, "Are your dough balls always this consistency?" Yes, more or less. Basically, this is a level of dough maturation I look for: sticky, extensible, and silky in texture, yet bouncy and strong enough. Have a great day!

Omid
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:53:04 AM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #2329 on: January 31, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
I made 150 pizzas in it yesterday to try it out.

Really?  :o 150 pizzas? What did you do with them all?? The ones there in the pics sure look nice!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2330 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Thank you! The oven is a Neapolitan oven (130 centimeters in internal floor diameter) constructed by Stefano Ferrara of Naples. There are many US pizzerias that use Ferrara ovens. The stuff visible on the internal surface of the dome are not mortar or grout. They are some kind of buildup or accretion that were not there initially. I do not know what they are, but they have been gradually accumulating over the past four years. I believe this is what eventually happens to any Neapolitan oven that is in used over a long period of time. Stefano has told us that they are nothing to worry about.

Last night, I gently scraped, with the aid of a turning peel, some of the accretion to expose the brick behind it. (See where the flash points to in the first picture below.) So far, I have not witnessed the accretions fall down on the floor. As long as they are not physically disturbed, they seem to stay where they are.

The last two picture, below, are close-ups of the accretion. When I press down on them with my fingertip, they turn into a fine white powder that is odorless and tasteless. Does anyone know what the accretions are made of? Good day!

Omid   

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like fluxing of minerals in the brick or refractory mix they use over the dome....possibly silica or alumina?  It apprears the worst of it is higher in the dome..is this accurate?

John Ruskin

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2331 on: January 31, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like fluxing of minerals in the brick or refractory mix they use over the dome....possibly silica or alumina?  It apprears the worst of it is higher in the dome..is this accurate?

Dear Stonecutter, the buildup appears to be almost evenly spread over the surface of the dome, with Perhaps a higher concentration in the center of the dome. And, there is none right above where the fire is made. How do you construe this phenomenon? Do you tentatively think the buildup is problematic?

Earlier today, I briefly inspected the dome of the Ferrara oven at Caffe/Pizzeria Calabria here in San Diego. I noticed the same buildup, but much thinner because, perhaps, the oven has not been in service as much as the Ferrara oven at Bruno. Good day!

Omid 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2332 on: January 31, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
Omid, if your camera is capable, it would be interesting to see a close up of the material that you took off of the dome.  That might assist in figuring out what it is. 

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2333 on: January 31, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
Dear Stonecutter, the buildup appears to be almost evenly spread over the surface of the dome, with Perhaps a higher concentration in the center of the dome. And, there is none right above where the fire is made. How do you construe this phenomenon? Do you tentatively think the buildup is problematic?

Earlier today, I briefly inspected the dome of the Ferrara oven at Caffe/Pizzeria Calabria here in San Diego. I noticed the same buildup, but much thinner because, perhaps, the oven has not been in service as much as the Ferrara oven at Bruno. Good day!

Omid

I'm not entirely sure Omid, I have not ever seen this in ovens before.  From what I am reading, it's almost like what happens with soluble salts in masonry, in the form of efflorescence.  Except with accretion, it isn't formed by evaporation, and it happens with refractory in very high heat.

I am just taking a stab at it, having not dealt with this personally.  I'm very curious about this, and if I come across any info that is exceptional, I'll send you a link.

John Ruskin

Offline parallei

« Reply #2334 on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Omid,

What does that stuff off the oven dome taste like?

A serious question.  I'm not implying it ends up in the product or something.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:20:05 PM by parallei »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2335 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »

Omid

I have it on my dome as well.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2336 on: February 01, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
hi omid can you tell me your method for separating the dough balls that you made in the above pictures. you pizzas maintain a nice roundness with a puffy crust. it can be a challenge removing them without deforming them. it is something i struggle with. thanks, larry

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2337 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Do you tentatively think the buildup is problematic?

I didn't answer this question with the other post.  I don't believe the build up to be problematic, based on all the stuff I've been reading.

Incidentally, I was born in San Diego.  Your pictures make your restaurant a mandatory stop when I ever get back there.

John Ruskin

Online R2-Bayou

« Reply #2338 on: February 03, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »
I'm headed to San Diego in July for a conference. Will definitely check out Bruno!
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2339 on: February 03, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like fluxing of minerals in the brick or refractory mix they use over the dome....possibly silica or alumina?

I'm not entirely sure Omid, I have not ever seen this in ovens before.  From what I am reading, it's almost like what happens with soluble salts in masonry, in the form of efflorescence.  Except with accretion, it isn't formed by evaporation, and it happens with refractory in very high heat.

I am just taking a stab at it, having not dealt with this personally.  I'm very curious about this, and if I come across any info that is exceptional, I'll send you a link.

Dear Stonecutter, I thank you for your thoughts on this issue. Good day!

Omid