Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 341112 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #1780 on: November 12, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
Now that's classy....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1781 on: November 12, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »

Wow, this thread has come a long way; from the eloquent words of Omid to a photo of a dog's behind  !!!!!!!!  Kinda sad.

Bob

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #1782 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
Well, it is Omid's dog's eloquent behind.  If it were someone else's dog, not so good.  But this thread is all about his journey, and if he wants to share a pic of his ass-istant, who are we to judge?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #1783 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »
 ok here is a short movie I made while firing up oven today

http://youtu.be/vWeMy9p1qaQ

and the siren you hear is not because of the smoke,,,pics from summer,my niece and fiance,,,,some garden harvest,, ciaoooo

Phil

Dear Phil, I thank you very much for making the video. Very kind of you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1784 on: November 13, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »
Dear friends, here's an article (entitled, "Imagery, Imagination, and The Art of Ciro Salvo") I posted on my pizza blog today:

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2012/11/13/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo-part-12-imagery-imagination-and-the-art-of-ciro-salvo/

I hope you enjoy it. Good night!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:27:28 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1785 on: November 13, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
Thank you Omid, that was an excellent journey, and one that reinforces to me that there is not one way to make a Pizza Neapolitana, but only the RIGHT way, whatever that form takes.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1786 on: November 13, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
Let me explain what I mean.  Take a diamond for example.  You can define a diamond by the process by which it is made:

"natural diamonds are formed at high temperature and pressure at depths of 140 to 190 kilometers (87 to 120 mi) in the Earth's mantle. Carbon-containing minerals provide the carbon source, and the growth occurs over periods from 1 billion to 3.3 billion years (25% to 75% of the age of the Earth). Diamonds are brought close to the Earth′s surface through deep volcanic eruptions by a magma, which cools into igneous rocks known as kimberlites and lamproites."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond

Or you can define it by it's physical properties:

"A diamond is a transparent crystal of tetrahedrally bonded carbon atoms in a covalent network lattice (sp3) that crystallizes into the diamond lattice which is a variation of the face centered cubic structure."

But what you can not do is combine the two to define a diamond.  There are other processes that lead to the same end product:

"Synthetic diamonds are diamonds manufactured in a laboratory, as opposed to diamonds mined from the Earth. The gemological and industrial uses of diamond have created a large demand for rough stones. This demand has been satisfied in large part by synthetic diamonds, which have been manufactured by various processes for more than half a century. However, in recent years it has become possible to produce gem-quality synthetic diamonds of significant size.

The majority of commercially available synthetic diamonds are yellow and are produced by so-called High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) processes. The yellow color is caused by nitrogen impurities. Other colors may also be reproduced such as blue, green or pink, which are a result of the addition of boron or from irradiation after synthesis"

Thus it is with a pizza.  You can define the process, as does VPN, or you can define the result as does the eye and the palate, but you can not do both.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #1787 on: November 14, 2012, 12:04:38 AM »
 wonderful article omid,thank you! a question on the bloggers article which states 0 flour do you think that is a mistake? another question last week i visited il pizzaiolo in Pennsylvania Ron had mentioned that mr salvo may be using caputo cake flour for his light crust. i am not sure what caputo has in that gluten level but it would be interesting to see if they designate a flour for cake baking

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1788 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
Let me explain. . . .

Dear Tscarborough, thank you for your explanation. Good day!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1789 on: November 14, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
Wonderful article Omid, thank you! a question on the bloggers article which states 0 flour do you think that is a mistake? another question last week i visited il pizzaiolo in Pennsylvania Ron had mentioned that mr salvo may be using caputo cake flour for his light crust. i am not sure what caputo has in that gluten level but it would be interesting to see if they designate a flour for cake baking

Dear Larry, thank you! I do not know what type(s) of flour(s) Mr. Ciro is currently employing in his undertakings. In regard to Mrs. Karen's statement (i.e., "A mix of flour ("O"), water, salt, and yeast...and that special Salvo touch backed by years of experience adds up to the softest pizza crust I have ever eaten...."), you may want to leave her your question in the comment box below the blog article at http://www.andiamotrips.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-pizza-with-ciro.html. Have a great day!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1790 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
Omid - A masterpiece of an article. Thank you. Ciro's cloud-like dough is what I have aspired to achieve for quite some time.

Marco mentioned that Ciro is using a special blend of flour in his current restaurant.

John

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1791 on: November 15, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
Omid - A masterpiece of an article. Thank you. Ciro's cloud-like dough is what I have aspired to achieve for quite some time.

Marco mentioned that Ciro is using a special blend of flour in his current restaurant.

John

Dear John thank you! I would like to assert, again, without conceit or overweening pride, and without confusing "fanaticism" with "passion" and "reinvention" with the "tradition", that those images can serve as a source of revelations to any aspiring pizzaiolo/pizzaiola of sensitivity.

Regards,
Omid
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:43:23 AM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline JBailey

« Reply #1792 on: November 15, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

John

It is a blend of Petra flour from Molino Quaglio and whole wheat flour which Ciro adds himself.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1793 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
It is a blend of Petra flour from Molino Quaglio and whole wheat flour which Ciro adds himself.

This is fascinating. The addition of whole wheat (which may be 1 or 2 [ash]) is very out of the ordinary. How did you come by this info?

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #1794 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »
 caputo has a product called 0 special maybe that is what is being referred to in the article.it is suggested foe waffles, and biscuits .that might be something to try.

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #1795 on: November 21, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
Dear Omid/Larry,

I believe Caputo have 2 flours designated as `0` flour:

`0` AG Manitoba - ` Produced from the best grains with high protein value, the quality of the gluten favors elasticity and extendibility to the dough giving excellent results for pastries`

and

`0`Special - ` Ideal for mixed and natural leavening working. It is recommended to bakers to get tasty and sweet smelling homemade bread. Thanks to its protein content, it is very good for taralli, biscuits and cone wafers`.

Thank you for the piece Omid which I found very informative. It is possible that Salvo uses the flour seen in the background of one of the photos - Caputo ` La Farina Del Pizzaiuolo`. Of course, it could be a product placement. It does not appear to feature on the official Caputo website ( English or Italian ) but the flour features on my Caputo brochure and I have seen it for sale on Ebay.it.

Kind Regards,

Barnstable

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1796 on: November 21, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
Dear Omid/Larry,

I believe Caputo have 2 flours designated as `0` flour:

`0` AG Manitoba - ` Produced from the best grains with high protein value, the quality of the gluten favors elasticity and extendibility to the dough giving excellent results for pastries`

and

`0`Special - ` Ideal for mixed and natural leavening working. It is recommended to bakers to get tasty and sweet smelling homemade bread. Thanks to its protein content, it is very good for taralli, biscuits and cone wafers`.

Thank you for the piece Omid which I found very informative. It is possible that Salvo uses the flour seen in the background of one of the photos - Caputo ` La Farina Del Pizzaiuolo`. Of course, it could be a product placement. It does not appear to feature on the official Caputo website ( English or Italian ) but the flour features on my Caputo brochure and I have seen it for sale on Ebay.it.

Kind Regards,

Barnstable

Dear Barnstable, thank you for the information. I have heard of the referenced flour, namely, "La Farina del Pizzaiuolo". I do not know if it is the same Caputo '00' Pizzeria that has been repackaged in a 10-kilo bag or if it is an entirely new product or else. It would be nice to see some rheological data on this product.

Here's a link to a recent blog article on Mr. Ciro Salvo that may interest you (I'd be careful to form any conclusions based on this article though!):

http://www.lucianopignataro.it/a/torre-annunziata-pizzeria-masse-qui-ce-ciro-salvo-che-fa-delle-pizze-favolose/47810/

Good day!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1797 on: November 22, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
I am just ecstatic to see that picture of dough balls with a brownish hue and specks of bran. I have been experimenting with various levels of locally milled whole flour in my NP dough, and it is encouraging to see a master like Ciro doing so.

In the blog, notice the "cocozza grigliata" pizza, which is grilled pumpkin. It uses fior di latte from Agerola, which is just outside Naples. And the calzone has salami, pork fat (cicoli), pepper and ricotta. Topped with fresh basil out of the oven. Just superb combinations. The essence of Naples while still pushing creative boundaries.

Marco posted a clarification as to why you see two ovens pictured - only the Forno Napoletano is being used.

John
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:27:22 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline sub

« Reply #1798 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
Dear friends, here's an article (entitled, "Imagery, Imagination, and The Art of Ciro Salvo") I posted on my pizza blog today:

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2012/11/13/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo-part-12-imagery-imagination-and-the-art-of-ciro-salvo/

I hope you enjoy it. Good night!

Thanks, these pictures are gorgeous, I'm hungry now  !

"La Farina del Pizzaiuolo". I do not know if it is the same Caputo '00' Pizzeria that has been repackaged in a 10-kilo bag or if it is an entirely new product or else. It would be nice to see some rheological data on this product.

I've used it, but not the pizzeria so I can't compare them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:49:40 AM by sub »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #1799 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

pizzapan