Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 289391 times)

Protoolskaiser and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline flyboy4ual

Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #1820 on: January 08, 2013, 01:16:29 AM »
Cool video!  Where do you find a cheese cutter thing like they use?

Scott D.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #1821 on: January 08, 2013, 04:19:06 AM »
I have had a da Michele pie and it tastes a lot better than it looks. That being said I would love a Omid made pie

What does a Da Michele pie taste like?

Dear Fornographer, you asked, "What does a Da Michele pie taste like?" I wonder how dear Larry would describe his experience of Da Michele pizza. If you ask me, it is not easy for me to answer the question, and any answer I express will be subjective to an unavoidable degree and intentionally limited to my best Da Michele experiences that I think generally characterize their pizzas. To do this, allow me to abstract the flavor of the pizza base, of which the cornicione is most untainted by the flavors of the toppings. To my oral tactility and taste buds, Da Michele pizza base and cornicione are characteristically distinguishable from the same prepared by other Naples' pizzerias that I have visited. In terms of texture, the crumb within the cornicione, akin to the flesh of a freshly baked croissant, is generally delicate, moist (not wet), mushy (not slimy or gooey), and light. See the 1st to 4th pictures below.

To my taste buds, the cornicione, not tainted by any of the toppings as much as possible, generally tastes very simple, light, and unpretentious. A bite out of the untainted cornicione seems to reveal to me gentle saltiness that does not subdue the natural flavors of wheat. The sourness of the cornicione is also normally subtle, almost nonexistent if one does not pay close attention. Sometimes the salty and lactic flavors are more pronounced. The best way I can clothe in words the flavor of the cornicione is as follows:

1. Acquire a fresh, fully ripe walnut that its dark-green skin is not peeled off from its hard shell yet;
2. Peel off the dark-green skin and crack the shell without damaging the nut within;
3. Extract the nut;
4. Place the nut in a solution of saltwater (not too much salt) and let it stay in a warm place for 24 hours (see the last picture below);
5. Next, peel off the skin from the walnut and eat the nut;
6. There is the flavor!

Useful or not, this is the best way I can describe the taste by way of comparison. Often, I like to think of an outstanding Neapolitan dough (the essential fundament of the Neapolitan pizza) in a metaphoric way:

According to my disposition at this particular stage of my culinary growth, an excellent Neapolitan dough is not an easy, failsafe dough, but a risky dough—whereby the pizzaiolo's well-developed skills confidently transform the risk into beauty! In other words, the art should be put back into the craft. Viewed from this limited perspective, an artless craft is a castrated craft!

Have a great day.

Omid
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1822 on: January 08, 2013, 04:44:23 AM »
Cool video!  Where do you find a cheese cutter thing like they use?

Scott D.

Dear Scott, we use one, the same exact cheese slicer in the video, at Pizzeria Bruno. I still have not personally used the slicer, but according to Peter the American fior di latte are too soft to be properly handled by the machine's blades. The machine comes with several different types of removable blades. If you like, I can ask him where you can purchase the slicer. Good day!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1823 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:30 AM »
Omid,

What was wrong with fail #4?  As someone who also aspires to produce pies like da michele that looks pretty darn close to me.  A fairly flat rim, nice small leoparding that goes all the way to the tomato, no white halo.  Texture off?

Dear Shuboyje, as I stated in my previous post, posterior to your above-referenced post, "The principal reasons that I construed my attempts as 'failures' in replicating Da Michele dough and pizza are because none of my doughs seemed to have the rheological properties of Da Michele dough (which I have touched and felt), and none of my baked pizzas had the gastronomical qualities in terms of texture and flavor." Each failure has been a good education. Have a great day!

Omid

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1824 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:35 AM »
At 8:36 in the video you can see their dough balls are spread out like the picture Omid posted. Also at 3:40 you can see how fluid their dough is before getting ready to ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxmIFz5914

I believe that in the video, Mr. Francesco Condurro of Da Michele stated, at time-mark 4:04, that each of their dough balls weighs about "trecento grammi" ("300 grams"). Notice the expression on his face when he says it. Nonetheless, the pizzas are so light that I can easily devour one without feeling heavy. If their dough has higher level of hydration than the norm, which I think is the case, I assume the pizzas go through some weight-loss when the water evaporates during baking. Thanks for the video. Good day!

Omid

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #1825 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »
Hi Omid, i have seen this video many times for a while now, i have notice 2 distinct details, the first is that they use Naples tap water (PH 7) that is a very neutral water, the other detail is that Mr. Condurro says that you should not tighten the dough ball (non stringere) so the pizza could be soft after its baked.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #1826 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
Nice to see this thread moving again. Will describe a da Michele pie when I get back from NYC. Just had don Antonio last night and meeting John Conklin tomorrow to visit some pizzeria

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #1827 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
Hi Omid it's Omid! That is so weird to say :) This is my first official post! I wanted to thank you for inspiring me to take a more active role in the forums here. I don't know if you even know you did this but you did. After you saw the pics of my rig and asked me why I haven't posted any pics of it here it got me thinking and I really didn't have a good answer to that question. Maybe it was tech phobia which I tend to get from time to time.  I realized I have been learning so much from people here for the last 4 years ever since I started this journey and never have posted anything! Well my new year resolution is to "come out" take a more interactive role on this site and contribute in any way I can.

I hope I am not highjacking your post too much but I just wanted to "come out" and let everyone know that there is a guy in Los Angeles that shares in the obsessive passion of great pizza. Maybe someone can tell me where is a more appropriate place to post in the future. 

Here is a link to my rolling test kitchen that I have been using for the last two and half years I have fired it up about 60 times now:

Omid please let me know when you are coming to Los Angeles. I would love to meet up with you. You have my number.

http://craftpizzeria.shutterfly.com/#%26emid%3dsite_weeklydigest%26cid%3dSHARE3SXXXX

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1828 on: January 08, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
Your pizza rig looks great! Love the red color. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #1829 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »
That's a sweet rig!!  ;D
Chaz

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #1830 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »
Omidz,

Awesome looking rig!  Do you have any pictures of your pizza's?   

Scott D.

Offline Omidz

« Reply #1831 on: January 09, 2013, 01:10:26 AM »
Thanks Scott. I have some but because I haven't been posting here not nearly as many as I should. I also lost a bunch late last year when I upgraded laptops. I think this site forces you to document your work which is a good thing. I'll see what I can find on my wife's computer.

Offline Omidz

« Reply #1832 on: January 09, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »
Tin Roof where do you live in OC?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1833 on: January 10, 2013, 03:41:05 AM »
Hi Omid, i have seen this video many times for a while now, i have notice 2 distinct details, the first is that they use Naples tap water (PH 7) that is a very neutral water, the other detail is that Mr. Condurro says that you should not tighten the dough ball (non stringere) so the pizza could be soft after its baked.

Dear Andre, thank you for the information. The second detail that you shared with us (i.e., "not tightening the dough balls") intimates that Da Michele employs the double-rise method, with emphasis put on long slow fermentation during the first phase and maturation during the second phase, which is of much shorter time frame in relation to the former. My experimentations, up to this point, have clearly verified this as factual. Good night!

Omid  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:49:09 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1834 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:16 AM »
Hi Omid it's Omid! That is so weird to say :) This is my first official post! I wanted to thank you for inspiring me to take a more active role in the forums here. I don't know if you even know you did this but you did. After you saw the pics of my rig and asked me why I haven't posted any pics of it here it got me thinking and I really didn't have a good answer to that question. Maybe it was tech phobia which I tend to get from time to time.  I realized I have been learning so much from people here for the last 4 years ever since I started this journey and never have posted anything! Well my new year resolution is to "come out" take a more interactive role on this site and contribute in any way I can.

I hope I am not highjacking your post too much but I just wanted to "come out" and let everyone know that there is a guy in Los Angeles that shares in the obsessive passion of great pizza. Maybe someone can tell me where is a more appropriate place to post in the future. 

Here is a link to my rolling test kitchen that I have been using for the last two and half years I have fired it up about 60 times now:

Omid please let me know when you are coming to Los Angeles. I would love to meet up with you. You have my number.

http://craftpizzeria.shutterfly.com/#%26emid%3dsite_weeklydigest%26cid%3dSHARE3SXXXX

Dear Omid, welcome! I, too, look forward to some pictures of your pizzas. Have a great night!

Omid

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #1835 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »
Omid,

Maybe you can just check the brand of Cheese slicer that Bruno's uses.   I can then google it.  Thanks,

Scott D.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #1836 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
Omid, I would also like to know the brand. The cutting blade size and style would also be hepful.

Offline Omidz

« Reply #1837 on: January 11, 2013, 02:49:03 AM »
How do you shrink down your files to post pics. It I can't upload the few pics I have to share.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1838 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »
Omid,

Maybe you can just check the brand of Cheese slicer that Bruno's uses.   I can then google it.  Thanks,

Scott D.

Omid, I would also like to know the brand. The cutting blade size and style would also be hepful.

Dear friends, upon doing a very brief research on this mechanized cheese grater/slicer, I came to find out that it is actually supposed to be a "vegetable cutter"! Nonetheless, it can be adapted for purposes beyond just cutting vegetables, as we use it at Pizzeria Bruno for grating different cheeses. I have never personally used this machine. Please see, below, the three pictures I shot. The last two pictures show the only two labels that I could find on the machine. I am not sure if OMCAN is the company that manufactured this machine or the company that just distributes this product in the US. Below is the OMCAN's URL address which has bunch of information on this food processor:

http://www.omcan.com/foodprocessors/hlc_300.html

By the way, according to Peter, this food processor costs about $1,500.00. Good night!

Omid

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #1839 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Omid,

Thanks for the Cheese Shredder information.  I really appreciate it.  I found it here on Ebay for 895.00. 

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160751688981?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Looks like a bargain!

Scott D.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:29:00 PM by flyboy4ual »