Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 358420 times)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #1920 on: February 17, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
How does one tackle 96 pages of this information...   ???

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #1921 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »
How does one tackle 96 pages of this information...   ???

I did it. Took a few weeks. But worth it. Now I can keep up daily if posts are added. One key that helped me a lot was to record the page # so that when I rejoined the text I didn't have to star from the beginning.

" Re: How to read page 38 of a 90 page thread?
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:43:45 PM Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark,

This is a question that has come up before but, to the best of my knowledge, there is no simple and direct way to do what you want to do. However, I think I have figured out a way to do what you want to do but you will have to do a little math. This method is based on the fact that each forum page contains 20 posts.

Using your example of wanting to go from page 38 to page 90 of Omid's thread, you will note on page 38 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.740.html) that there are two numbers at the end of the URL in the address bar (before html). Those numbers are 14506 and 740. The first number is the topic number. The second number is page related. Now, if you want to go from page 38 to page 90, you perform this calculation:

[(90-38) x 20] + 740 = 1780

Once you replace the number 740 in the URL with 1780 and hit Enter, you should end up on page 90.

The above may seem like a lot of work but in many cases it will be a lot faster than clicking two pages at a time, especially where the thread is a long one and the page spread is wide.

To go in reverse, you would do the math in reverse, e.g., going from page 90 to page 38.

Peter

Mark
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:51:18 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #1922 on: February 17, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
I agree with Craig. If you can solve for space and budget go with at least a 120. Craig have you found a creative way to bring your oven to temp without going through so much wood and taking so long?  That is the only take away for me is when I fire up I make at least 20 pies cause it takes a good 4-5 hours to get up to temp.

I tried calling Stefano directly for a possible future order.  and they pushed me onto a person  who imports them without tile and marks them up for convenience of getting them right away. Didn't really try beyond that but found the feedback a bit odd. I'll try againt when I get closer to that point .

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1923 on: February 17, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
My gut feeling is that you will regret buying an 80cm oven unless you just don't have room for anything larger. Having worked with a 120cm for a while now, I would not want an over smaller than 105cm.

In addition, the large heat up time and small space negates any positives you get from a Neapolitan oven design over a refractory like Forno Bravo. But I believe that meatboy is in Europe.

John

Offline meatboy

« Reply #1924 on: February 17, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
But I believe that meatboy is in Europe.
^^this. I'm in germany and in between the Ferrara and the Acunto.

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #1925 on: February 17, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
Omid have yoy been to Sofia yet? They sure have a nice oven.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #1926 on: February 18, 2013, 02:07:42 AM »
Omid have yoy been to Sofia yet? They sure have a nice oven.

Dear Pulcinella, "Sofia" is not the correct name of the establishment, which is both a restaurant and pizzeria. The Ferrara oven is merely named after the daughter of the pizzeria's owner, Mr. Matteo Cattaneo, who is an Italian native. The correct name of the joint is Buona Forchetta (literally meaning "good fork"; otherwise, a figurative expression for a "connoisseur of good food"), which is a new addition to the Neapolitan pizzerias here in San Diego, California. The pizzeria's pizzaiolo, the one in charge of the Neapolitan pizzas, is a friend of mine, Mr. Anthony Rubino, who previously worked for Pizzeria Calabria, another Neapolitan pizzeria (http://www.caffecalabria.com/pizzeria/), here in San Diego. There is another pizzaiolo, Mr. Carmine Nasti, who is in charge of the non-Neapolitan pizzas at the pizzeria. Buona Forchetta offers about 3 different styles of pizzas. (http://www.buonaforchettasd.com/BUONA_FORCHETTA_MENU.pdf)

Now, San Diego has three Neapolitan pizzerias (in order of appearance): Pizzeria Bruno, Pizzeria Calabria, and Buona Forchetta.

To answer your question, I have been to Buona Forchetta, but I have not tried any of their pizzas yet. However, they have cordially invited me there to try their pizzas. Soon, I will. Good night!

Omid
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:19:33 AM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1927 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:30 AM »
Last Saturday, I finally got to try the 5 Stagioni flour for Neapolitan pizza. Here is the basic recipe I tried:

Flour (Datum Point)
Water 57%
Salt 2.7%
Fresh Yeast 0.021%

Mixer: Santos Fork Mixer
Initial Fermentation: 24 hours at room temperature (72-74F)
Final Fermentation: 7 hours at room temperature (69-71F)
Dough Ball Weight: about 260 to 270 grams each
Final Dough Ball Temperature before bake: 71F
Oven: Ferrara (Thank you, Peter!)
Floor Temp.: 925F
Bake Time: Under 60 seconds

Below are the results illustrated in pictures:

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1928 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:47 AM »
Continued . . .

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1929 on: February 25, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »
Continued . . .
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:10:24 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline sub

« Reply #1930 on: February 25, 2013, 05:29:19 AM »
Dear Omid, your pies are just awesome, my complements ! 

How was the taste ?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1931 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »
Absolute perfection in all aspects of the pie. Some of the best pies I have seen on this forum. Congrats on such an informed view on this flour.

John

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1932 on: February 25, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Beautiful pizzas, Omid.  The folded crust is so very pliable, and perfectly cooked!  Well done! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #1933 on: February 25, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »
Omid,

Perfection (again) ! Without knowing it you gave me some additional beautiful pics of your undercrust that I was looking for.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1934 on: February 25, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

Interesting. I know CraigTX has been using the same flour and found it needs a much higher hydration than Caputo (in the region of 65-66 %) as well as extremely short baking times (40 seconds) in order to come up with a good result.

Your pizzas look pretty much perfect with more conventional hydration ratios and cooking times.

I'd be curious to find out what accounts for the difference?

Peter

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #1935 on: February 25, 2013, 07:36:11 PM »
Great job Omid!!!!

Scott D.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1936 on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
Dear Omid, your pies are just awesome, my complements ! 

How was the taste?

Dear Sub, thank you! The flavor was to my liking; however, I need more time to explore and understand the flour (i.e., 5 Stagioni for Neapolitan pizza) as this was my very first time ever using it. Nonetheless, I think the flavor would have benefitted if I had used higher hydration. The reason that I employed such a low hydration (57%) in my improvised recipe was that I wanted to use half of the dough for baking an Iranian bread that did not require high hydration.

By the way, you are doing a great job making pizzas with your cleverly modified electric oven. Have a great day!

Omid

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1937 on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »
Absolute perfection in all aspects of the pie. Some of the best pies I have seen on this forum. Congrats on such an informed view on this flour.

John

Dear John, thank you! Next time, if I get more 5 Stagioni flour, I will certainly escalate the hydration. The flour I used in my recipe, above, was borrowed from a friend. Good day!

Omid

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1938 on: February 25, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
Beautiful pizzas, Omid.  The folded crust is so very pliable, and perfectly cooked!  Well done! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Omid,

Perfection (again) ! Without knowing it you gave me some additional beautiful pics of your undercrust that I was looking for.

John K

Great job Omid!!!!

Scott D.

Gentlemen, thank you!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #1939 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
Interesting. I know CraigTX has been using the same flour and found it needs a much higher hydration than Caputo (in the region of 65-66 %) as well as extremely short baking times (40 seconds) in order to come up with a good result.

Your pizzas look pretty much perfect with more conventional hydration ratios and cooking times.

I'd be curious to find out what accounts for the difference?

Peter

Dear Peter, the flour (i.e., 5 Stagioni for Neapolitan pizza) is very new to me, and I have used it only once so far. I am still not fully cognizant of its physico-chemical properties and requirements. In addition, as I mentioned above, "The reason that I employed such a low hydration (57%) in my improvised recipe was that I wanted to use half of the dough for baking an Iranian bread that did not require high hydration." Otherwise, I would have employed higher hydration like dear Craig. Furthermore, we should keep in mind that Craig used sourdough culture while I used fresh yeast. At last, both Craig and I have our respective dough developmental techniques. He, and dear Marlon (Bakeshack), definitely have been producing impressive results with the flour.

Considering the above, I am not sure what precisely accounts for the "difference"? Perchance, long initial fermentation at room temperature (72-74F) which effectuates a different rate and quality of enzymatic hydrolysis, alcoholic fermentation, acidification, and subsequent maturation of dough? I do not know; the variables are many, and our techniques different. Good day!

Omid

pizzapan