Author Topic: Individual Pizza Oven?  (Read 3442 times)

Offline nick378311

Individual Pizza Oven?
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:02:34 AM »
I am thinking about buying the pizza oven below, I was wondering if anyone has ever used anyhting similar? If so how does it compare to professional pizza ovens? Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Nick

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&authuser=0&q=pizza+oven&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2596787182269120596&sa=X&ei=cQAITtPoFYKUtwetpZjQDQ&ved=0CHgQ8gIwAQ

Offline nick378311

Re: Individual Pizza Oven?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
Oh, by the way I am planning on making different style pizza (new york style, chicago, bar-room style, etc.)

Thanks, nick

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »
120 Volts, 1450 Watts, 12.1 Amps

My hairdryer uses that much juice.  And this is an old, weak hairdryer.

What do you think? Do you think you can make pizza with a hairdryer?  ;D This is basically a toaster oven with a pretty stainless facade. Don't waste your money.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »
+1

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »
It is a frozen pizza de-thawer, with a one-setting temperature of 450. You should look for one that has more power and a higher temp.

John

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
I have a Deni pizza oven (actually I have 2), it pulls 1200 watts and cooks a pretty good pizza but I never tried using it to dry my hair. :-\

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5921.0.html

You can find them on Ebay every now and again for around $20.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:52:29 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline nick378311

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:00:26 PM »
Thanks! Yea I saw the frozen pizza part on the site which made me rethink. I have a regular gas oven, but I was looking more for a pizza type oven because it changes the taste so much. And thanks, Ill take a look at that http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5921.0.html

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
Nick;
If you have a gas home oven you can do a pretty decent job with a pizza stone, or use unglazed floor tile (works great) and it is a lot cheaper to boot. Place the stone(s) in the upper 1/3 of the oven.
Set the oven temperature at 450F, then allow at least 45-minutes for the temperature to come up and equilibrate. Get yourself a pizza screen, and place the opened pizza skin onto the screen (be sure to season the screen first). Dress the pizza as desired, and place in the oven on one of the lower racks in the bottom 1/3 of the oven. Bake the pizza there for about 5 to 7-minutes, then move to the stone and continue baking until the crust is well colored and beginning to char a little around the edge. You might need to experiment with placement in the oven and exact baking times between the top and bottom positions as all ovens are somewhat different. This is how I make my pizzas at home, and they always turn out great. By the way, do not put any sugar, eggs, or milk in the dough formula/recipe as any of these will result in premature browning of the crust, resulting in a reduction of crispiness.
Good luck, and have fun making pizzas!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline matermark

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
I just bought one similar for THIRTY NINE DOLLARS and 97 cents and FREE shipping (on orders over $49.)

It's called Pizza Perfecto and Cabela's also sells it, along with Bargain Outfitters & Sportsman's Guide.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=472615&pn=1

I didn't try it out yet but it came with a little note saying if you'd like to make fresh (unfrozen) pizza in it, you need to buy a pizza stone for it. I however, have a heavy pizza pan with perforations about 1/4" everywhere, from my toaster oven (which I also bought from the same place, by the way.)

SERIOUSLY, how could you NOT buy it for $39.97 and free shipping???? (enter code BH788 and add something else to the cart to reach $49, like the $12.97 Roaster Pan & Carving Sethttp://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=472618&pn=1 or some padded socks or something...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:50:44 PM by matermark »

Offline nick378311

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »
Thanks alot Tom, ill definitely try that! And thanks mark ill take a look

Offline nick378311

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 12:21:23 AM »
Tom, I was wondering if you had any good new york style pizza recipes or tips. Anything is appreciated. Thanks, Nick

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 03:36:22 AM »
Nick, I'm not certain what kind of stone Bar Style pizza requires, but, if you've ever been to the NY area, had good NY style pizza and wanted to recreate it at home, without having to go through the hassle of oven tricks/mods, you'll want a better stone than quarry tiles or your average retail offering.  1/2" steel is the reigning champion for creating true pizzeria quality pizzas in a typical home oven.  At least it is on the electric side and for gas ovens with broilers in the main compartment.  In a gas broiler-below scenario, oven tricks are unavoidable, so materials with lower conductivity will work.  Even then, you won't want to go down as far as quarry tile.  In that instance, cordierite should be the best bet, with kiln shelves clocking in as the cheapest source.

The nicest thing about a thick, thermally conductive hearth that produces quick bake times is the flexibility it provides.  If say, the Bar Style you're working on requires a less than 8 minute bake (quite possible) then quarry tiles won't work.  On the other hand, if, for whatever reason, you wish to extend the bake time with steel, you can always turn down the thermostat.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:40:31 AM by scott123 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
scott/nick, bar style pizzas are often cooked at 450 for a long time, usually a little longer than 8 minutes.   

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 12:01:50 PM »
Thanks, Scott. As far as styles go, bar is definitely my weakest area.

Offline nick378311

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
Thanks, and yea I just made chicago style dough that I am going to try to make bar style pizza with tonight. Hopefully it turns out good, i'll post later and tell how it turned out and post the recipe I used etc.

Thanks!, Nick

Offline nick378311

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
And Scott, I don't know if you've ever heard of cae cod cafe of lynwood pizza, but I THINK they use something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Rose-Inch-Aluminum-Deep-Pizza/dp/B001BM2KEA/?tag=pizzamaking-20
They might be blackened pans but I know you can blacken them yourself. I just ordered one today so hopefully it has good results.

Thanks for your reply,
Nick

Offline matermark

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
I actually used my $39.95 Pizza Perfecto for the first time last night and will try to post some pics later. I used the Y-Town emergency dough recipe.

Offline nick378311

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it. And I'd love to see some pics if you have the time!

Thanks, Nick

Offline matermark

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
I will try to post pics later when I get home... I have to find my flash card adapter to upload the pics to the computer, it may be in my other laptop.

Offline nick378311

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »
Sounds good! I just made 5 bar room pizzas, after the first 2 they all came out perfect! The reason the first 2 weren't so good is because I rolled the dough too thick, but after that I rolled it much, much thinner and had great results. I also put cheddar cheese around the crust to get that cripsy blackened taste, and the cheese mixture I used was mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan, and a tiny bit of feta. Hopefully next time I make it (next week or so) I will have a camera so I can post pictures. Came out alot better than I expected!

pizzapan