Author Topic: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas  (Read 23463 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Mine is identical to this one on amazon.com. Red regulator, green twist knob, braided steel hose.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:02:16 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »
.....my large metal grill spatula barely fits through the side vent, ....

Is there even any heat coming out the side vent or is it all going out the bottom?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
Oh, you'll burn your hand if you put it next to the side vent while the burner is on full tilt.

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
Mmmph, my regulator looks the same as yours. Same green connector, red regulator and braided hose.

Pics....

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Strange. Looks identical.  ???
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »
Mmmph, I think one potential area may be that the bent flaps of my current airflow director is not deep enough/long enough.

I made some cuts into and bent the 13" pizza pan I had initially posted pics of so that it was more like your set-up. However, I made the cuts too deep and the deflector was too long....nearly touching the pizza. So I circular filed that pizza pan.

I recently made a more simple deflector from galvanized sheet metal with flaps that are about 1.25" long (measured from false pizza pan ceiling downwards).

You can see a pic below. I am going to drop the ceiling so it is almost flush with the top of the side vent first. Then if that ain't happenin' I am going to make longer flaps or punch myself in the nuts while downing a shot of tequila....maybe both and we'll see where that goes to!  ;D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
Kelly, I should have  thought of this earlier. If you open the valve on the tank after you open the valve to the burner, the the OPD is shutting off most of the flow to the burner.  Probably not the issue, but be aware that it does cut off 85% of the flow and if your not aware of it, can cause problems. Low heat, etc..  One way to reset it if it does happen is to shut the burner valve, and tank valve.  Disconnect the regulator to the tank, then reconnect it, always being sure to never open the tank valve with the burner valve open first.

Does the deflector plate and stone still look exactly the way it does in picture number 7 from the first page of this thread?  The cutout on the lid is placed opposite of the cutout on the deflector and stone, right?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:20:34 PM by Jet_deck »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
Kelly, I should have  thought of this earlier. If you open the valve on the tank after you open the valve to the burner, the the OPD is shutting off most of the flow to the burner.  Probably not the issue, but be aware that it does cut off 85% of the flow and if your not aware of it, can cause problems. Low heat, etc..  One way to reset it if it does happen is to shut the burner valve, and tank valve.  Disconnect the regulator to the tank, then reconnect it, always being sure to never open the tank valve with the burner valve open first.

The very first time I used it, having never used a propane cooker before, I did indeed fool with the burner valve before opening the larger tank valve. I will disconnect the regulator from the tank and reconnect.

I like to shut off both the tank valve and burner valve after cooking. Is that unwise?

Does the deflector plate and stone still look exactly the way it does in picture number 7 from the first page of this thread?  The cutout on the lid is placed opposite of the cutout on the deflector and stone, right?

Yes that is correct, although the size of the opening behind the stone is larger now.

Thanks for the insight. Open tank valve before burner valve...my new mantra!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
I like to shut off both the tank valve and burner valve after cooking. Is that unwise?   No, that is fine.

Thanks for the insight. Open tank valve before burner valve...my new mantra!  

Tank valve then burner valve AND open the burner valve gently.  If you get aggressive with it before it is lit, the OPD can slam shut also. :'(

I think your getting close.  On your next cook if the top is not still as hot as you want it save 1 dough ball for the end.  Make a 2" ball out of some tin foil and prop the lid open a bit with the ball. (directly below your cut out in the lid)  This will articificially simulate the cut out being larger.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:42:02 PM by Jet_deck »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
Well I am getting frustrated, make that effing pissed....I'm sure my neighbors heard a few curse words emanating from my backyard tonight.

This makes me even more determined however.

I unhooked the regulator end from the burner and reconnected it per Jet Deck's helpful recommendation.

I made an emergency type dough as I was not expecting to make pizza today, but took advantage of being home early. Only 3 hours bulk and 3.5 hours balled (25% starter....mon dieu that's a lot!). Not the best dough, but I'm shooting for test pizzas for baking properties anyways at this point. I know, who cares, get on with it....

Fired up the LBE, turned the regulator just a tad to what would be considered a low setting. 30 minutes later, center of stone only 430F. So I turned the regulator a full half rotation. 15 minutes later the stone is only at 530F and I need to eat 'cause of time constraints. Launch the first pizza, lid on, immediately crank heat balls to the wall. Full on Rocket to Venus sound erupts from the Cajun Cooker....louder than previously.

Pulled the first pizza at 5:03 on the stopwatch.

Stone had crept up to 630F when I pulled the pie. That's a huge variability in stone temperature during a 5 minute baking cycle....and a hint that I may need more mass than just a single stone to lower temp volatility on the floor, but that's another story.

I turned the burner back down to a half turn, went inside and ate a few slices, made the second and last test pizza and launched at a stone temp of 650F, lid on, immediately jacked heat. 45 seconds into the bake comes that smell that you just know means the floor is too hot and the bottom is already approaching being ready and the top is still as bare as a vanilla coated arse. Ended up slipping the grill spatula through the side vent while wearing an oven mitt to keep the bottom off the floor in an attempt to cook the top without scorching the bottom. Still a 4:09 cook time to get the top "satisfactory". The bottom was overcooked.

I need to lower my ceiling more for quicker top heat time to completion. There is a kiln shop 10 minutes from my house. I may just get a 20" kiln shelf (3/4" thick!) even though it weighs a good bit and then affix a 10" cast iron skillet to that in the center so there is only about 1.50" of clearance above the bottom stone and see where that gets me. I also think it is time to give up on the 100% Caputo on my LBE and cut in some HG and shoot for a 3:00 bake or so.

Pictures from my cell phone. Two crumb shots and an upskirt. You can clearly see the leathery texture of the outer crust, as well as the bottom pushing being to burnt in places. I sometimes tend to push how thin my pizzas get towards the center and these long cooking times with Caputo 00 makes these areas of the pizzas far too brittle. BooOOooo!

Back to the drawing board. I feel like a newbie all over again.....although we are all ultimately beginners when a new day starts, one of the great things about life. --K   :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:55:21 PM by pizzablogger »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »
K - those crumb shots and bottom looks good to me but I understand your fustration all to well.  I occassionally go back to my LBE with lackluster result.  It's as if I've been out of touch with it or something.

Chau

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »
The crumb does look excellent.  I'd hit it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
Any way you can insulate the top to boost the heat above the pie? I'd be happy to put the material I used to insulate my grill in a box and ship it to you to give it a try. Let me know.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »
Any way you can insulate the top to boost the heat above the pie? I'd be happy to put the material I used to insulate my grill in a box and ship it to you to give it a try. Let me know.

CL

Thanks for the offer Craig. I'll let you know.

I have a few ideas to try first, but I may take you up on your offer. Thanks! --K

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »
Interesting results last night. Still not there......

But I took out the pizza pan with the air-direction attachment on it, wrapped the dome in foil for the first time and put nothing but the ash catcher in the dome. On the bottom-most grill grate closest to the burner, I used my 10" cast iron skillet (with handle sawed off) to buffer the flame in lieu of the angled steel-plate deflector.

The top browning/cooking was definitely better. Somehow the larger amount of airspace above the pizza allowed a noticeably higher amount of airflow to come out of the side vent.

I'm not sure I am going to go the stone route in the dome. From fooling with air-directional foils/attachments and now the ash catcher, it seems to be important to have some type of non-flat surface in the dome that agitates (for lack of a better term) the airflow to get better browing characteristics. With the flatter surfaces I have tooled with, the browing is too even....likely due to the airflow mostly flowing horizontally/flattish as it looks to exit the side vent. The ash catcher and directional foils definitely helps re-direct and bounce heat above the pizza.....almost like convection type action. And the more random browning and blistering is what I am looking for.

Was able to get the cook times down by about 30 seconds last night (4:10 to 4:20 range last night)

I'm going to try just a cast iron pan in the dome and I bet that's my ticket. The depth is a little more than the ash catcher. The closer proximity, re-direction of the airflow it will provide and heat retention properties should help me get where I want. Will post pics as I fool with this. --K
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:28:23 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline texmex

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
First off, many of your pizza shots don't look like epic fails, but then we don't eat  :pizza: with our eyes.  (Scratch that...if we could, I certainly would!)

The one thing I see about your LBE is the vent cut -out in the lid seems awfully small.  Mine is a mini black egg and I would bet that my vent cut-out is longer than yours.  Not that this actually means anything worth discussing, just my outside observation as to why you aren't getting great air-flow over your pizzas.   :-\
Reesa

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I'm gonna cut the side vent a tad larger.

I liked the results of the ash catcher, but it is too far from the surface of the pizza....the 22" grill makes a big diffference compared to the 18". Based on the ash catcher making some difference, it popped into my head that the similarly shaped, but larger and better heat characteristics of a 13 or 14" wok, either carbon steel or cast iron, might work very well if inverted into the lid of the LBE.

The proximity to the pizza would be a lot closer. Gonna go rumaging in the restaurant close-out store here to see if I can find such an item on the cheap....the Lodge cast iron wok is 60ish bucks new....a little much for an experiment.  :)

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
For some reason I decided to fire up the LBE last night, without making any further modifications, early in the afternoon yesterday. I'm glad I did.

I threw together what I would consider to be an emergency dough (32% starter, 1.5hrs bulk, 4 hrs balled), the quickest dough I have ever made and didn't have my usual ingredients. For the first time I used a can of crushed tomatoes (Whole Foods) and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.  The point was to be able to throw some pizzas together for cooking tests, not for the quality of the actual pies themselves.

I fired up the propane tank and it fizzled within one minute...I got 31 pizzas out of that inaugural tank. I rushed to Safeway and got a new tank.

There must have been something wrong with that first actual propane tank itself, because there was a noticeable difference in the sound level of the LBE when turned to full steam tonight. I thought it was loud before, but it was a little louder tonight....roaring.

The impact on the bake was noticeable. I finally got some good top heat going and knocked out all of the pies in a cook time of 3:30 to 3:45 at a launch temperature of 640F. So, all of the previous roof experiments may have been in vain due to what appears to be a somehow faulty tank. Next step is to add an airflow director in addition to the 14" carbon steel wok I have in the lid now and try some test pizzas launched between 675F and 750F to see if I can get a 2:00ish pie done.

Still not where I want to be, but definitely a big difference in how the tops were cooking last night. I'm look forward to future tinkering and my frustration level has subsided.

A simple, thrown together marinara from last night straight from the cell phone. Need better browning on the inner lip of the rim. Blah, blah. --K :)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Nice work PB.  Those crumb shots look great.  Glad you figured it out.

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
Beautiful job Kelly. And kudos for your dough management - you got great charring and crumb development. Isn't it great when a plan comes together?

(Dahhhhn - da da - Dahhhhhhhn. Da - dahhhh - dahhhhhhh.)

John

PS. A gold star if you get the ridiculous reference.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:31:33 PM by dellavecchia »

pizzapan