Author Topic: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas  (Read 25299 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
Love it Kelly! You are getting great spring and beautiful leoparding - is this starter or yeast?

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
Love it Kelly! You are getting great spring and beautiful leoparding - is this starter or yeast?

John

Thanks John.

Starter.

I still haven't gotten that true, black leoparding mixed in with the dark brown spots like I was getting in my kitchen oven using the all broiler method.

Need more directed top heat, but it'll come sooner or later. -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
That's a seriously good looking pie there K.

C
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2012, 06:21:20 PM »
And then there were two......

Picked up another 22.5" Weber from Craigslist for $45. Only used twice. Time to cut 'er up.

I'm gonna get an 18" as I think that will impact cooking times the most (less airspace to heat), but I still want the option for a larger format pie. --K

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Well, I have gone ahead and rushed into something that may be a debacle of sorts early on, but whaddya gonna do?

The Baltimore Farmers Market is, I would have to imagine, one of the larger farmers markets on the East Coast.  I have been to the monster farmers market at Union Square in NYC (love it) and the market in DUMBO and the Baltimore Farmers Market is not too much smaller than those.  On peak Sundays the organizers claim more than 8,000 people visit the market during the day.  There can be a literal wall of people walking in and among the market at times. I go most Sundays to stock up on fresh produce, sundries, honey, etc and eat breakfast from one of the various prepared food stands there….it’s one of my favorite things to do in the city. It’s really a killer market and atmosphere.

http://www.bop.org/index.cfm?page=events&id=3

Last year, for the first time, the market offered pizza from a mobile WFO joint called the Red Zebra.  They decided very recently that they are not doing the market this year (I was told due to logistics), the market wanted to keep pizza as one of its food vendors and yours truly decided such a last minute call meant it  was time to have a pizza stand at the city’s busiest market…..without me even having my LBE dialed in yet…..with me having made pizzas exactly three times since Thanksgiving…..with having an honest moment of clarity last week realizing that I’m just really not that good of a pizza maker….with the market opening April 1st. Ain’t life grand (or as we say in Bawlmer, Ain’t the beer cold!)?

Eff it, I just mailed in my application and check today to secure my 10’x10’ spot.

Obviously lots of experiments to do.  I will not be open by April 1st and am targeting an opening at the market in May. I’ll mix 60 dough balls the first Sunday and work up from there as demand increases.

Gotta get a pop-up canopy and noodle the dough transportation. Given I don’t have a large car (station wagon is the largest of the two), I will likely need to use some coolers….either with 12”x12” greek tiles stacked somehow with the dough balls on them or having to put the dough balls in individual plastic containers, which I am not accustomed to but should not be a problem. There is not enough room to get the large Cambro box which can hold dough trays.

Obviously a lot more to get dialed in, not the least is finding a person to work the front of the stand, taking orders, handling money, etc. Getting someone dependable (and having back-ups) who will show up at 7am on a Sunday morning could be tricky. Already have some feelers out.

Hopefully by July 4th I’ll have worked out some of the kinks and gotten into being able to deliver a consistent product.

I don’t expect to deliver a product as good as what could be done in a WFO (or even what I was doing with my broiler) given I have changed my preferred formula for the LBE, but hopefully I can deliver a pizza that is respectable and worthy of consumption.

I’ll likely be offering just 2-4 regular pizzas (ideally 12”, but maybe 10” due to the format and storage concerns) to keep things simple and then also rotate in a weekly special on top of the regular offerings which will be announced via social media preceding the market.

Updates on the progress (and/or disaster) will be posted here. --K
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:32:13 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
Break a leg, dude.  I will gladly help you with what ever on the propane fired LBE, MBE or what not.  I think Chau will tell you I can help some.  What is your first, biggest problem aside from the dough?  Can we coax the people in with the Lemoncello shots? :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
Break a leg, dude.  I will gladly help you with what ever on the propane fired LBE, MBE or what not.  I think Chau will tell you I can help some.  What is your first, biggest problem aside from the dough?  Can we coax the people in with the Lemoncello shots? :chef:

Thanks.....I may indeed need some help.  :)

Heat on the top of the pizza in my LBE is the major issue, but I've got a few test runs with a newer air foil to run that may solve the problem.

The limoncello shots will be available for select clientele.  :)

I just got two 1.75L jugs of grain alcohol to whip up a big batch. --K

scott123

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
Kelly, that's wonderful news.  I have no doubt that you are going to kick ass at this endeavor.

I think that a big part of your consternation in the past wasn't because of lack of skills or knowledge, but that you were attempting something incredibly difficult- Neo on an LBE.  It looks like you've gotten better results with the KAAP compromise. Since a slight move in a malted/NY direction has worked out well for you, how about embracing a 'NY State of Mind' wholeheartedly?  Bromate, 3-4 minute bakes- the whole shebang?

Just an idea. You know what you're doing, and I completely trust that whatever you do will be wildly successful.

buceriasdon

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »
Kelly, I wish you all the best!
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
Kelly,

I also wish you the best of luck and success.  :chef: Glad to hear your are starting on a new adventure.  Sounds like fun!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
Kelly, forget about NP in the LBE.  Do hybrid pies at 3-4m bakes.  Thats what most ppl will want to eat.  Let me know if I can help.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
Kelly, forget about NP in the LBE.  Do hybrid pies at 3-4m bakes.  Thats what most ppl will want to eat.  Let me know if I can help.

I'm at 3:45 to 4:05 if I use all Caputo, but the crust is far too white. That's where the air flow director may help (I hope).

The same result, albeit a little better, occurs with a 65-35 MC00-KABF mix, dittos for a 65-35 MC00-AT mix.  The 100% KAAP batch I just did yielded a much better bake at between 3:00 and 3:30.

I like the flavor of the all Caputo or the Caputo mix more and hope the air director tests allow me to go that way.  However, I am willing to compromise to a predominately KAAP or AT formula if that yields the better result, given the oven.

One day I will hopefully have a real wood-fired oven to cook in. And if the stars align right, it could very well be a monster of an oven at that.

I may very well pick your brain Chau. Thanks. --K

scott123

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
The same result, albeit a little better, occurs with a 65-35 MC00-KABF mix, dittos for a 65-35 MC00-AT mix.  The 100% KAAP batch I just did yielded a much better bake at between 3:00 and 3:30.

For 3-4 minutes, Full Strength runs circles around 00, KAAP, KABF and AT. The 00 could give you browning issues, the KAAP and KABF are in a good range of protein, but they lack bromate, and the AT, although it has bromate, is a little high on the protein scale. Chau can provide some more detail, but I believe pretty much all of his breathtaking NY slice magic was done with what I believe is a Full Strength analog, Sam's Club Baker & Chefs High Gluten Flour.

Between pulling a NP and a hybrid pie out of an LBE, the hybrid is just so much easier.  If you can, to make the most out of the hybrid, it really helps to have a bromated flour.

And, while Chau does exceedingly well with his hand stretched mozz, if you have access to Grande or a good Grande clone you might want to consider it.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
The 00 could give you browning issues

Very much so

the KAAP and KABF are in a good range of protein, but they lack bromate

I'm not sure I need the bromate. My spring with the KAAP is acceptable and even earlier days of my pizzamaking when I was using KABF I never had a problem with spring. In addition, while I know I am often eating bromated flours at commercial pizzerias, I would prefer not to use it when making my own pizzas.

and the AT, although it has bromate, is a little high on the protein scale.

I agree on the protein, good point. Even at just half of the mix (I tried a 50-50 MC00-AT blend), the extensibility was impacted quite a bit....even with a long fermentation. I formed the dough balls much too tight in that batch, cause the proof itself was 10 hours. The texture was also a little stiff. I will make a 75-25 KAAP-AT mix tomorrow and tool around a few percentage points if the mix shows promise.

A food service distributor in my area sells the unbromated/unbleaced All Trumps flour and I have been using that in my experiments.

The hybrid is the way to go. And while I was initially desiring the sub 2 minute bakes in my LBE that I was achieving with my all-broiler method, I am beginning to see the hybrid is the way to go. But I want the pies to lean more towards Napply-Don in style than NY-Style. Just a personal preference.

And, while Chau does exceedingly well with his hand stretched mozz, if you have access to Grande or a good Grande clone you might want to consider it.

Yes, I am able to buy the buckets of Grande Ovoline...the perfect size at a 4oz ball...just hand shred an entire ball and you have a great amount for one margherita. They come in three pound buckets, with two buckets comprising one sales unit (a box). At the price point I get it at, it works out to $1.11 worth of mozzarella on each pizza.

If I had time I would prefer to run up to the farm I like in PA and purchase raw milk from them and make mozzarella in the traditional manner (make your own curds, no shocking with citric acid, etc), but I don't have the time.

All of the flours have been impacted by inflationary concerns since summer.  I was getting 55# bags of Caputo Pizzeria for $31 previously and now they are $36.50 per bag. Still not too bad.

Tinkering to do and I will certainly consider your thoughts Scott......nothing is out of the realm of possibility at this point.

Thanks for the input. Best --K  :)

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2012, 08:28:36 PM »
Bad bake tonight. Propane freezing in the tank as it got to about 1/3 full. Also, for some reason my stone takes forever to come up to temperature on random occasions.

I'm abandoning my SP-10 propane cooker. Quite frankly, I'm peeved at myself for not following my gut when purchasing it. It is better to have too much heat and not need some of it than to want more heat and not have it available. I should have purchased the KAB4 at that time.

So tomorrow I am likely going to order the Bayou Classic KAB4 (Kick-A-Banjo) with the 30psi regulator and 210,000 BTU output.

But.....I have some questions for the fellas at Bayou Classic about the SP40 (Double Jet) with the optional 40psi regulator. I've heard rumor that allows the SP40 to kick out over 250,000 BTUs. The drain on propane may be too taxing to make it a viable alternative from an operational standpoint at the farmers market, but it's tempting.

So yes, I need to tinker with directional air foils more, but since I am using a larger Weber grill (22.5") and the issue is always going to be about heat, why not just get a burner that puts out more of it? Gotta be one part of the equation me thinks. --K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »
We've had some cold spring crawfish boils where somebody had to keep a water hose flowing on the propane take so it wouldn't freeze up.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
Did two 100% Caputo pies with a minimal "LBE White Ring" on the crust and very nice browning in 2:32 and 2:35 lsat night. Stone at launch was 730°F both bakes.  One more tweak to see if I can get to two minutes (two...minutes...to miiidnight...!) tonight.

Some quick 8 hour doughs will get tested tonight.

Big improvements.....but a long way to go yet. -k

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
Still lots of improvements to do, but the pizzas were enjoyable last Sunday.

Picture from last Sunday's market taken by someone else of a margherita someone ordered towards the end of the day.

Still cannot get my second LBE to cook worth a damn....even though it is set up exactly the same way as my first one.

One day I'll get the ovens dialed in, one day.  :)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
"Enjoyable"?!!  That looks effin awesome!   ;D

Too bad the pictures so tiny!  Please use a real camera next time!

Have you checked the venturi setting on the burner for LBE2?  Thats the adjustable vented dial where the hose meets the burner.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
"Enjoyable"?!!  That looks effin awesome!   ;D

+1

Pizza is not bread.