Author Topic: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas  (Read 23391 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
You are an "Artisan", and don't ever forget it!!   ;D
Time to raise the rent...on those pies,   :'(

I think the price is fair, it's the flow of people that is the issue on hot days. When it is in the upper 80's, I sell more pies...sometimes double what I sell when it is very hot. And because all of those additional pies are at the point where it's essential all profit, the take home can be dramatically improved.

The market in Baltimore is unique in that the bulk of it takes place under the overpass of a six lane highway (route 83 where it ends downtown). The overpass is wide enough that it pretty much protects the market from all but the heaviest of rains and provides shade to the vendors below.

A couple of years ago they extended the market into a much smaller "Bazaar" space just across a side street, but not under the overpass. This is where the pizza stand is. No protection from rain or shade from the sun. So when it gets very hot, the amount of people coming over from the main market area is noticeably reduced. I should make the front of my stand a misted cooling station to attract more people!  ;)   --k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
I. I should make the front of my stand a misted cooling station to attract more people!  ;)   --k
Now you're talk'in Kelly...I like the way you think.
I have a couple of portable "chillers" in my body shop but prior to that I researched the misters and you may be surprised at how inexpensively you can diy one of those using using common materials found at a home improvement center....plant watering system gear. The fan will be the biggest expense.

Might as well sell some snow cones too while you're at it!!    ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:41:59 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
A friend of mine stopped by and ordered a pizza and was kind enough to take a few pictures of it and also time the bake on my stopwatch.

She ordered a margherita with extra sauce. It's not a ton of sauce, but a little more than I prefer to put on.

As you can see, I still have the top browning issues. Cheese torn perhaps a bit too large this week.

The crumb shot clearly shows the crumb has started to dry outa bit. She came at a time when there was a rush of pizzas and the floor temp had dropped, so the bake time was 3:41. Quite long for this formula.

After hand mixing the entire batch on my very first day at the market and being pleased with the texture of the dough, I have been trying to get a good feel for the 60quart Hobart mixer, with spiral arm, that the kitchen I use has.

The mixer is extremely proficient in bringing together a mass of dough, but is a bit "rough" on the dough for this style of pizza (Neapolitan inspired...it ain't Neapolian) and my application. After various mixing regimens over the previous 8 mixes, this batch is closer to being good. All water to the bowl, add salt and dissolve, add starter and incorporate with a large spatula, add flour and start the mix on the lowest speed (1). It takes only 5:00 to 5:20 or so to bring the ingredients together and to clear the bowl for my batch size (65 dough balls currently). At that point I let it rest for 15 minutes and then turn the mixer back on speed 1 for 3 rotations of the arm, followed by a few more rest periods and then Tartine turns by hand a couple of times before main fermentation. Next time I'm going to discontinue the 3 revolutions in the bowl after the initial rest and go all by-hand from that point. If that does not do the trick, I'll need to stop the Hobart portion of the mix just before the dough clears the bowl and go by hand from that point. So the Hobart is a very efficient machine with the spiral arm attached, but for this style of pizza the importance of having more gentle mixing action like a fork mixer is becoming apparent. I've only mixed on the Hobart 9 times now, so a lack of deep rooted familiarity with the machine is likely playing a large roll in this as well.

All that being said, the pizzas are getting better at the market each week. Not the pizzas I can make at home, which is a much easier and controlled setting to work in, but I'm getting a little better dealing with the mixer and the extreme weather conditions. Very hot and extremely muggy again Sunday. Even at 4am when I walked the dog before packing up for the market it was so humid my forearms were slick with sweat.

Very puffy dough this week....need to dial down the starter, slightly, or keep the doughs in the cooler a tad longer before pulling for use at the market. --K
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:54:09 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
I didn't notice that pie had a top browning issue until you told me...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »
Wow Kelly....if I can come even close to that once my LBE is finished I will be a happy man.
Could you please post a pic or model # of the Hobart you are working with?
Congratulations on your continuing success....that pie is gorgeous.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
Stupendous!  Exhilaratingly mouthwatering! 

I'll second Bob- if I had results like that, my wife might actually try a slice!  And that's "when hell freezes over" territory.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »
Kelly,

Your pizza is sure looks great!  ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
Stupendous!  Exhilaratingly mouthwatering! 

I'll second Bob- if I had results like that, my wife might actually try a slice!  And that's "when hell freezes over" territory.

'Cmon Brian...we've all seen your work. No wife could ever be THAT elusive.... :chef:

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Could you please post a pic or model # of the Hobart you are working with?

Bob, here is a pic of the 60qt Hobart and the badge with the model number and other relevant information. Thanks --k   :)

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »
Still several cooking issues to deal with, but getting the mixing much better at least.

Some pies from yesterday:

White: fior-di-latte (Grande Ovoline), garlic infused olive oil, basil, pecorino romano & parmigiano-reggiano (post bake)
Hampdenite: margherita with cherry tomatoes, Aleppo chiles & Calabrian chile oil/chiles (post bake)
Cherry Bomb: sauce, garlic infused OO, basil, Aleppo chiles, cherry tomatoes & Calabrian chile oil/chiles (post bake)
Margherita

Need a smaller dough blade to extract the balls from the tray now that I am putting 8 per container. The corner balls are tricky to get out. Hence the Hampdenite pie above not being round at all.

Thanks Craig! The calabrian chile oil/chiles is fantastic. And a smash hit at the stand....those that ordered either the Cherry Bomb or the Hampdenite raved about it.

Back to oven tinkering.....

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
Kelly, try a putty knife - about $4 at home depot.  You can get 'em any size you want.  The silicon ones might work best for you.

Looking at your pics & hearing about the rave reviews of your new toppings, I was curious about whether you've made a splash in terms of buzz.  A brief google turned up the old post we already saw from your 2nd week.

I really think you're ready for some exposure!  The weather looks like it will be cooperating for a while, and you've got those recipes nailed.  I have no idea what "oven issues" you are referring to - the bakes look superb.  You are seriously ready to show off your stuff.  Any plans to invite some foodies? Critics? Bloggers? Reporters?

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
The hampdenite looks fantastic

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
I think the Cherry Bomb is daring an brilliant with no cheese on it.....get many orders for this one Kelly?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
Kelly, try a putty knife - about $4 at home depot.  You can get 'em any size you want.  The silicon ones might work best for you.

Yes, the silicon may be the way to go. I bought a metal one at HoDe two weeks ago. They put the barcode sticker on the metal part of all their spatulas. Tough to get off and when washed it turns a strange color that looks dirty. Maybe a reaction to the Brillo pad somehow. But the silicon is the next step, yes. Thanks.

Looking at your pics & hearing about the rave reviews of your new toppings, I was curious about whether you've made a splash in terms of buzz.  A brief google turned up the old post we already saw from your 2nd week.

Some buzz....a person connected to The Sun's food section is now a regular at the stand. A local newscaster from CBS 13 Morning Edition just tried a pizza Sunday and loved it. Got a business card with the relevant contact information on it.

Best part of this Sunday was one of my more loyal regulars just revealed he works for Baltimore City and passed on contact information for when I need to get permitting and licensing issues taken care of with the brick and mortar location. Said the person would help move things along "more efficiently". Nice!  :)

I really think you're ready for some exposure!  The weather looks like it will be cooperating for a while, and you've got those recipes nailed.  I have no idea what "oven issues" you are referring to - the bakes look superb.  You are seriously ready to show off your stuff.  Any plans to invite some foodies? Critics? Bloggers? Reporters?

I'm not sure about actually inviting bloggers or others to the stand. Firmly believe the best reviews are spontaneous, "grassroots" type of deals where a person discovers a place and has a positive experience as opposed to being invited to the place. But I'm on the fence here about this, so we'll see.

The main oven issue is that I really have only one oven worth a hoot. I'm thinking the PSI of the regulator on my second Cajun Cooker is not as high as my first cooker. Cannot say as each regulator looks the same. Everything else is virtually identical. I made templates for the bottom and side vent cuts, so both ovens have the same cutouts. The venturi settings on both are the same (all the way open) and during service the regulator valve levels are the same (all the way open). Same pizza stones, same quarry tile cutouts, same cast iron pans in the lid, same cast iron skillet bottom deflectors...same everything except the seond LBE cannot cook a pizza for s&^t.

My cook times on the good oven are still too long. Consistently between 3:20 and 3:55 during busy rushes (and in the mid 2 minutes otherwise). Aside from this altering the texture of the pies, not having two ovens to produce good pizzas hampers maximum output at the stand. On the days I have sold 50+ pizzas, it is very difficult to produce that output (as most of the people come during the last 90 minues). With two good ovens, I would be able to deal with that level (50 pies) more efficiently and could likely to 80 or so pies on a given Sunday.

My regular job has not allowed me any time during the week to tinker much, so it is a slow road to China with the ovens. But I make do the best I can with what I have to work with and like the challenge. BTW I need to swing by and drop off some starter either this week or next on a weeknight. --K

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
The hampdenite looks fantastic

Thank you!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
I think the Cherry Bomb is daring an brilliant with no cheese on it.....get many orders for this one Kelly?

Not too many. Looking at the tickets there were 6 ordered. And I made one and gave half to the owner of the Vegan sweets stand next to me and the other half to the owner of the Granola stand a few spaces down. I usually make one or two pizzas and send halves out to the vendors around me.

On this one I added the Aleppo both pre and post-bake. Makes the sauce and cherry tomatoes pop. And that Calabrian chile oil/flakes makes you forget there is no cheese on the pie.

I'm not eager to find out, but I'm fairly certain you could put bird droppings on a pizza and it would be tasty if it were drizzled with the Calabrian oil/chiles. That stuff is liquid gold. Thanks Craig! --K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
The pies look aresome Kelly. Glad you like the chilies. It's hard for me to imagine pizza without them.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Kelly,
  You're welcome here anytime.  I'll look forward to chatting about your b&m plans.

re your oven disparity...
have you tried using a methodical approach of elimination, where you have two lists of parts of each setup, and go down the list, swapping them until you isolate the culprit?

Brian

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
The main oven issue is that I really have only one oven worth a hoot. I'm thinking the PSI of the regulator on my second Cajun Cooker is not as high as my first cooker.

If all the hardware is identical on these 2 LBE's....then it must be a fuel problem. Check the lines for any obstruction. It's rare for a regulator to go bad but thats not to say it's factory setting could be off. Maybe try disconnecting both at the grill and listen to the gas flow sound for any noticeable differences between the two. Good luck...and put that cigarette out!  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
Yes, what Brian just said while I was posting....tried swapping regulators yet?