Author Topic: Pete-zza's Roadmap to the Lehmann NY Style Recipes  (Read 68253 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza's Roadmap to the Lehmann NY Style Recipes
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
I updated the Lehmann Roadmap today to to refer to a recent experiment I conducted with the basic Lehmann dough recipe in which I lowered the amount of yeast (IDY) to 0.17% (by weight of flour), or about 1/5 teaspoon of IDY for a dough ball weighing a bit over 20 ounces. I also lowered the finished dough temperature to 75 degrees F, in an effort to slow down the degree and rate of fermentation so that the useful life of the dough can be extended beyond the typical 48-hour period yet be manageable.

See the photo below for an example of the finished product (a 16-inch vegetarian pizza with sauteed and fresh sliced mushrooms, green peppers, roasted red peppers, and caramelized onions). The results, described and shown more fully at Reply # 280, page 15, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.280.html, indicate that very good oven spring and an open and airy crust and crumb can be achieved in a cold fermented (refrigerated) dough using minuscule amounts of yeast.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 02:07:57 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 03:22:29 PM »
The Lehmann Roadmap was updated today to refer to use of the basic Lehmann dough to make "mini" pizzas (2 1/2" across). The photo below is an example of what the mini pizzas look like. The process for making the mini pizzas is described at the Lehmann thread at Reply #290 and Reply #291, at page 15, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.280.html.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 12:28:48 PM »
I updated the Lehmann Roadmap today to refer to a 9-inch Lehmann pizza that was baked on a bed of hot rocks. I am not sure whether the best description of the pizza is Lehmann Rocks !! or Lehmann on the Rocks, but the photo below shows the finished results. Further detail is provided at Reply # 297 and Reply # 298, at page 15, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.280.html.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:30:25 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 11:04:29 AM »
Today, at the request of fellow member Buffalo, I posted a formulation for the Lehmann NY style dough for a 30-inch size, at Reply # 356, page 18, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.new#new. Of course, this size cannot be baked in a normal home oven. A commercial oven would be required, and possibly a 30-inch pizza screen (or something else that would be equivalent to it) to be able to load the pizza into the oven. I believe the largest Lehmann pizza to date was around 19 inches. The largest I have made is 18 inches, the biggest size my oven can accommodate, and it was very impressive looking. I'd like Buffalo (or anyone else) to set a new record for the Lehmann dough :).

Peter

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 09:55:46 AM »
Hey Peter I think it would be a good idea to keep your road map at the top of the list like the New members introduce yourself one is. Or put into its own area

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 10:10:53 AM »
007bond-jb,

I think your suggestion has merit, but I didn't want to be so presumptuous as to suggest it myself. I have been able to keep the two threads within reasonable earshot of each other in the thread listings by updating the roadmap whenever I post a new formulation or other significant content at the Lehmann thread, but if Steve feels that it is appropriate to lock the two threads--if that is doable--I will leave that to his discretion.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to make the suggestion.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:13:33 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »
Peter,

I second the motion to make this thread a sticky!

;D
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline enob

• I Really Really Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 11:00:14 PM »
Pete:
Thanks so much for this thread it is a big help for us new members
also and I think i can speak for everyone in this site thank you for all the time and effort you spend here helping us all out.

Sincerely
Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 08:37:48 AM »
Mike,

Thank you.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 04:23:03 PM »
I updated the Lehmann Roadmap today to refer to a 16-inch "take-and-bake" version of the Lehmann NY style dough. Although I plan to continue to improve the dough formulation, the latest effort represents my best results to date for the take-and-bake style. The photo below is an example of the finished pizza. Additional details are provided at Reply 362 at page 19, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.new#new.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2006, 07:38:51 AM »
Today I updated the Lehmann Roadmap to refer to a 15-inch Lehmann NY style pizza that was baked on a bed of rocks in a 15 3/4" perforated pizza pan. Details are available at Reply 373 at page 19 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.360.html. A typical photo of the pizza is shown below.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 09:54:22 AM »
Today I updated the Lehmann Roadmap to refer to a 16-inch Lehmann NY style pizza that was baked entirely on a 16-inch pizza screen, i.e., without using a pizza stone. By using the screen, the pizza can be baked more quickly than using a pizza stone, which ordinarily requires a long preheat at high oven temperatures. Hence, this option has value when baking pizzas in the summer where hot temperatures prevail and there is reluctance to heat up an oven and stone for an hour or more (and with a long cool down time). Additional details are provided at Reply 389, at page 20, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.380.html. A typical photo is shown below.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 09:57:14 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 05:28:54 PM »
Today I updated the Lehmann Roadmap to refer to two 12-inch pizzas that were made using same-day, few-hours dough. One is based on using a dough with 2 hours of cold fermentation, followed by 1 hour of counter warm-up time, and the other is based on using a dough with 2 hours of room-temperature fermentation only. Both pizzas were baked on a pizza screen, requiring about one-half hour of total oven time, making them ideal for baking in the summertime. Details are available at Replies 407 and 408, at page 21, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27251.html#msg27251. The photo below shows one of the pizzas.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:34:49 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 01:39:17 PM »
Today I made what I consider to be a significant improvement to the Lehmann Roadmap set forth in the first post of this thread. The improvement is to embed in each entry the link to the Reply mentioned. That way, there is no need to find the specific page and then the Reply number in order to read about the Lehmann dough and pizza discussed in the Reply. The embedded link will take the reader directly to the post. Actually, there are two ways to get to the desired Reply: clicking on the Reply number or the link appended at the end of the corresponding entry. (Kind of like belt and suspenders.)

I wish I could take credit for the improvement, but the idea came from one of our new members, enchant (Pat). Not only did Pat suggest the improvement, but he also tracked down the links for all the Replies listed in the Lehmann Roadmap and provided them to me in a format that I could use to incorporate them into the Roadmap. That saved me a lot of time.

Even though the reader will be taken directly to posts by using the embedded links, I will most likely continue the practice of specifying the Reply number and page number since they may be useful for those who may print out pages for future reference. I will also continue my practice of informing people of when I have updated the Roadmap, which will also include links to the relevant pages.

And to Pat, I say "thank you very much" for helping make the Roadmap better. I'm sure that the changes will be much appreciated by our members.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 02:13:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline enob

• I Really Really Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 10:57:36 PM »
you got my vote and thanks

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 11:32:38 PM »
And to Pat, I say "thank you very much" for helping make the Roadmap better.
It's really the very least I could do to repay this community for the whopping improvement in my pizza over the past few months.
--pat--

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »
The Lehmann Roadmap was updated today to refer to a 16-inch Lehmann NY style pizza that was baked entirely on a pizza screen (i.e., no pizza stone/tiles), with the objective of producing a crispy bottom crust. To accomplish this result, a pre-bake of the dough (docked) was used, following which the pizza was dressed and finished baking. This pizza makes a good candidate for summer time baking since the oven is on for about one-half hour only. For additional details, see Reply 424 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg27372.html#msg27372. A typical photo of the pizza is shown below.

Peter

Offline mr782xx

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Pete-zza is THE MAN when it comes to detailed pizza making instructions.   

My two-cents worth on the flour conversation:

I like KA flours as well, but I've grown just as fond of All Trumps HG flour for NY Style pies.  I use KA bread flour for making American style, only.

All Trumps, as well as Caputo 00, can be had in 5 and 50 lb sacks on Penn Mac's website.  Though I don't use them much anymore (I got a "hook-up" with a food distributor) I like Penn Mac, because they cater to us home-based, pizza making, pizza-aholics. :chef:

http://www.pennmac.com/page/27

Though they carry about everything you need to make awesome pizza, I'm very fond of them for the types of pepperoni and cheese they stock (East Coast Blend, and Margherita pepperoni & two types of Ezzo pepperoni) and quantities you can buy (restaurant size). 

I know that's allot of food, but it freezes well (sauce too).  And no, the cheese isn't quite as good as not being frozen, but it's so close I dare you to do a taste test (I did).  My guess is the average person cant' tell the difference.

Hope the info helps someone out there.

Offline james456

• NY & American Style Pizza Lover
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »
Pete-zza,

I have a request: whenever you next make a NY style pizza, using your favourite formulation, can you take a picture of the bottom of the crust so I can compare the level of browning (and char) of your crust to mine?

I don't have the opportunity to buy a NY style pizza to compare since I'm in the UK, so I'm using the pictures I find on here to replicate the look of the crust in my specific oven.  :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
james456,

I use the Lehmann NY style dough formulation to conduct experiments and tests but it has been a while since I used just the basic Lehmann formulation all by itself. However, the photo at the bottom of Reply 129 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg92095.html#msg92095 is typical of what I get in my home oven with a typical Lehmann dough with my particular oven configuration (i.e., type of oven, type and size of stone, oven rack positioning, oven temperature, bake duration, etc.). For some reason, I did not think to post bottom crust photos for most, if not all, of the pizzas in the Roadmap and other threads where I used the Lehmann dough formulation. I think in good measure it was because I used the same pizza making protocol for just about all of my Lehmann doughs, in order to rule out the protocol itself as a variable, and the finished pizzas and the crust bottoms were pretty much the same as a result. In some cases, I simply said that the bottom crusts had the same color as the rims. On rare occasion, I will depart from my normal Lehmann protocol and do something different, as I did when I moved the pizza stone to a higher oven position, as I described at Reply 830 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg96046.html#msg96046. You can see the bottom crust color at the bottom of Reply 831 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg96047.html#msg96047.

In your case, because you are in the UK, you may not get the same results because your flours and oven are likely to be different that what I and others use in the U.S. However, since I use mostly bread flours (with or without vital wheat gluten), and since there seem to be some good bread flours in the UK, you might be able to get results comparable to what I get if your oven and oven protocol (including the type of pizza stone) are up to the task.

Peter