Author Topic: Pizza Restaurant Opening Soon, Need your opinion of my dough recipe and more!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
4% already a lot of oil. If it was me, and I was looking for more flavor, I'd add 1-1.5% sugar before I added more oil. It would help your crust brown a bit better too

What kind of taste does sugar give?

Offline Jackitup

Salt and sugar used within limits should 'enhance' the flavors of what you are making, not just to make them salty or sweet. Also affects flavor and texture of the fermentation process that goes on between the yeast and flour.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
What kind of taste does sugar give?

At 1-1.5%, it will not be discernible as sugar or even sweet. It will just perk up the other flavor in the dough and help you get some more browning in the oven which also adds flavor.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
Any idea how much sugar I should add to my recipe?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Any idea how much sugar I should add to my recipe?
Derek,

You can read Tom Lehmann's advice on this matter at the PMQ Think Tank at:

http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/suger-in-dough.4669/#post-26890.

You might also find this additional post by Tom in the same thread of interest:

http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/suger-in-dough.4669/#post-26952

The rest of the posts in the above thread are also quite informative.

Peter

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks for everything!

Will be testing out conveyor belt oven soon + press. I'll be back if things don't work out too well!
  :chef:

Offline Jackitup

Thanks for everything!

Will be testing out conveyor belt oven soon + press. I'll be back if things don't work out too well!
  :chef:

Why only then?? Hang around, great forum, we all have things to teach and share with each other!

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
Why only then?? Hang around, great forum, we all have things to teach and share with each other!

jon

Oh I'll be sticking around, I was just referring to this specific thread. I love pizza, love making it, i'll be here.

thanks!

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
Guys this is my new recipe, made it tonight tasted pretty good, was workable.

What do you think? Any advice? I plan to make 180gram balls

recipe makes 2 180 gram balls

Flour (100%):    214.49 g  |  7.57 oz | 0.47 lbs
Water (62.72%):    134.53 g  |  4.75 oz | 0.3 lbs
IDY (.54%):    1.16 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.38 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Salt (2.6%):    5.58 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.16 tsp | 0.39 tbsp
Olive Oil (1.62%):    3.47 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.77 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
Sugar (.36%):    0.77 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.19 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
Total (167.84%):   360 g | 12.7 oz | 0.79 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   180 g | 6.35 oz | 0.4 lbs

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
How are you managing your dough? Dough formulation and dough management are tied in together to a great extent.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
How are you managing your dough? Dough formulation and dough management are tied in together to a great extent.

I let the dough sit for 10 minutes after making, cut it into 180 gram balls place them into container's crossed over each other for few hours in fridge then i stack them directly to seal for a total of 24 hours for a nice cold fridge rise before pressing them.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Derek;
The only changes I might suggest to the formulation based on your dough management would be to reduce the salt to 1.75 or 2% and reduce the IDY to 0.375 to 0.4% and take the dough directly to the cooler as opposed to letting it set out for 10-minutes.
BTW: You didn't mention dough temperature, remember, without time and temperature control you cannot have effective dough management. You should be looking for a finished dough temperature of 80 to 85F immediately after mixing. You may need to experiment a little to find the exact temperature range that works best for you, but once you find it do everything possible to keep every dough as close to it as possible. I like to use the 80 to 85F range and target the 80F temperature that way when you begin to see the temperature rise above 80F you know you've go to decrease the temperature of the dough water to stay under the upper limit of 85F in this case. When changing water temperature in response to increasing dough temperature decrease the water temperature in 5F increments and you should be able to stay in the target temperature range.

Offline derekl

• I Love Pizza!
Derek;
The only changes I might suggest to the formulation based on your dough management would be to reduce the salt to 1.75 or 2% and reduce the IDY to 0.375 to 0.4% and take the dough directly to the cooler as opposed to letting it set out for 10-minutes.
BTW: You didn't mention dough temperature, remember, without time and temperature control you cannot have effective dough management. You should be looking for a finished dough temperature of 80 to 85F immediately after mixing. You may need to experiment a little to find the exact temperature range that works best for you, but once you find it do everything possible to keep every dough as close to it as possible. I like to use the 80 to 85F range and target the 80F temperature that way when you begin to see the temperature rise above 80F you know you've go to decrease the temperature of the dough water to stay under the upper limit of 85F in this case. When changing water temperature in response to increasing dough temperature decrease the water temperature in 5F increments and you should be able to stay in the target temperature range.

I will see what I can do, need to find a digital temperature gauge. Should I put the entire piece of dough in the fridge then cut and ball after the 24 hours? Or should I be balling before hand. I'm assuming get the dough in the fridge fast as possible?

pizzapan