Author Topic: Calling all Mobile WFO owners  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Calling all Mobile WFO owners
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Good luck.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
If I may advise, you will need more than oven with a metal dome to make your business profitable.

Otherwise, I like the design. Let us know how it progresses.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
Best of luck! I start in 4 months. Trailer starts to be built next month

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
As some of you guys already know, my mobile truck is 2 to 3 weeks from hitting the road. All the structural part is done, interior should not be long, 2 weeks top.  The truck is going to be entirely black outside, and mostly white inside.  Im approaching the third month since i started to invest in a mobile operation. enjoy some pictures.   

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
Well I am planning to join this distinguished club soon as well.... the little truck will have a tailgate, allowing the oven to be outside but fully accessible to the kitchen.  I bought the truck for $2k, and have priced out the improvements and complete kitchen at under $7k... I'm just getting started, wish me luck

Good Luck!   Like the truck layout.  Is the oven going to roll out on an extension arm?  Just curious as to the weight limitations on the "tray" as the oven rolls out without any intial support.
tom

Offline glennb6

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
thought I'd jump into this thread if it still lives.
I too am 'considering' doing a mobile pizza trailer. Have a little bit of low volume experience, enough to be dangerous I suppose, but enough to get the idea that good dough mgmt is essential.

For those that are running mobile, is it feasible to sell 75 or more pies to go over lunch and dinner? and do so using self and one worker?
would be interested in discussing idea with those who're doing it already.

thx
glennb6

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
60 an hour is a good clip with 2-3 people
search here or web "Flirting with Fire" Mobile Wood Fire Pizza
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline glennb6

Re: Calling all Mobile WFO owners > John
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »
Yup,  for the next two days I read your entire thread, which answered quite a few questions for me. 

I'm thinking / planning of maybe setting up a concession trailer or truck. Not immediately or next month but it's certainly worth the research. To be able to make it work full time, every way I run the numbers I come out as needing to move 1500-2000 pies a month. That's 75-100 a day, and that'd probably need to be compressed into a couple'a few hrs of lunch and same for dinner. Thinking of primarily selling to the public, and have one or two hair-brain ideas ;)

Right now I made a LBE for the back porch and am relearning dough. If I were to proceed I'll need to decide if to go wood fired brick or clay oven, or whether it might work with a couple or three LBEs. I know you're booking private events where X number of customers are essentially a given. If it were otherwise a public concession with a little advertising, do you think the FIRE part is a draw?

thx
Glennb6

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »
Yes i  still believe fire is  a plus people love fire  >:D on that note i also feel its important to see the oven the fire and how fast the pizza cooks at neapoiltan some trucks have a tiny window you order and then it comes out you dont know what they are doing with you food or if they are just pulling a frozen skin out and slappin some bagged cheese on there.
Blackstone makes a great product ( i love mine !) just not sure its has the ambiance and  staying power of a w hearth (wfo) oven
Fire makes it unique and a conversation piece. Who mad, how long, how hot.... Not sure a bride would be happy with 3 blackstones lined up and not sure what the health dept take is on these babies
Just my $.02
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:49:39 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JAG

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
      We are going on our 4th year and I couldn't agree more with JConk. We have an open trailer with an exposed oven and the visual aspect is huge for us. We do a 3hr. farmers market and for the whole three hours I have people checking out the oven, from daddy's bringing their kids to watch their pizza bake, to elderly customers chatting about how they would heat their meals on the engine of a Sherman tank in WWII, to the scientist/engineer who wants to talk thermal dynamics. We also do several local wineries and private parties and at these events I would honestly say that half of the guests check out the oven and strike up conversation. I really believe the open oven helps boost our sales and increase the word of mouth events we get called for.
      With that being said I think your vision should drive what your set up is like. My vision was exactly what we have happening, a great amount of customer interaction. If your vision is to show up outside a business and crank out some lunch time pies a truck may be a better set up for you, quick and easy in and out. And like JConk, just my opinion.

JG

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
Haven't posted here in awhile. My company Toss 'n' Fire opened in the spring. Absolutely love my trailer from Breadstone Ovens. Check us out at tossnfirepizza.com or Facebook.com/tossnfirepizza.