Author Topic: Small One Man Wife Operation Question: Can I pre-stretch the dough?  (Read 927 times)

Offline marcuscarey

• I Love Pizza!
    • Steepleview Farm
Last year my wife and I opened a small bistro at our farm where we have a farmer's market.  BBQ and burgers went great.

This year I've been bitten by the VPN bug and am working on a wood oven.  Should work well with my wood BBQ pit.

Practicing with dough, using Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, salt and Saf yeast only.

Still not happy with the way the dough stretches, BUT, more concerned with the time it takes to form the dough into shape before topping and cooking.

So is there any way to prep dough in advance of a lunchtime rush?  Do I need to stretch to order?

How do other smaller shops operate?

It's just me doing all the cooking and my wife manning the register.

We have a pick up window so no wait staff required.

Going to bake on stone, use a peel to remove and serve on cardboard rounds.

Any help out there?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Small One Man Wife Operation Question: Can I pre-stretch the dough?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
You should be able to open a Neapolitan skin in about 20 seconds.

You can make a dough that you can pre-stretch, but it won't be anywhere near as good as one you can't.

Post your recipe and workflow, and we can probably help you come up with something that opens easily. The most common problem is not letting your dough have enough time in balls to fully relax.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
Maddios Pizza chain, at least the one near me, pre-stretches their dough on pans and then covers the dough with tin foil.  The pans are placed in racks.  When you order, the foil is removed, the pizza is topped, and then the pan is placed into a conveyer oven, so the pizza cooks on the same pan on which the dough was pre-stretched.   

Since you are cooking on stone, you will need a way to keep the pre-stretched dough from sticking to whatever will be under or over the dough while you are storing the dough (parchment paper?).  As Craig suggests above, opening the dough is very quick.  There are many good videos on YouTube showing Neapolitan style dough balls at room temperature being opened very quickly, and that is probably going to be your best approach. 

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »
Do you pound the dough?  Taking the dough ball from round to flat but NOT stretched yet.......cuts time in half

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »
they pre-stretch dough at lucali's. Mark has a stack of them sitting on the prep counter.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
I think that opening a pie in 20 seconds is still a crazy long time when you have line of customers out the door and nobody helping you.  At the Neapolitan Express place, the guy is opening up and topping 6 pies at a time, but someone else is getting them on the peel, in and out of the oven.  And a third person is working the cash register.   

Even though they are cooking pizzas in Neapolitan times in an electric oven (no fire to attend) there are still times when the wait is longer than I like.  Not saying the pizza would be improved by having dough that was pre-opened, but the opening and topping the dough at a busy place is a full time job and it sounds like you may not have the manpower during the busy times to individually open all the pies even if they were done in 20 seconds.

Offline VarunS

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »
We pre stretch dough on screens and the same screens are put in the oven for baking. Finish the pie by removing from screen and placing on the stone to let it crisp. No issues at all, in fact it is pretty convenient from an operational standpoint. We keep it covered with butter paper after pre stretching so they don't dry out.

Offline acbova

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Having a line is sometimes nice as it attracts more people.  Stretch two (then three or more at a time) then bake. 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »
If you would care to share your dough formula and dough management procedure we might be able to recommend some changes that would improve the way the dough opens into a pizza skin, then you might not need to pre-stretch.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:55:45 PM »
I see that the original poster last visited the forum in early March.

Peter

pizzapan