Author Topic: best dough, sauce, and cheese for new york style street pizza  (Read 451 times)

Offline Mike_Pizaa

• I Love Pizza!
best dough, sauce, and cheese for new york style street pizza
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
there are couple of 99c pizza stores around. I have to improve the quality of the pizza to survive. please let me know what type of flour, sauce, and cheese are the best for the NY style pizza. With the gas burned oven, I get a maximum of 600 degree F.  Please give some idea of the ingredients ....

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: best dough, sauce, and cheese for new york style street pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:13:51 AM »
What are you using now?
In grams we trust.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
there are couple of 99c pizza stores around. I have to improve the quality of the pizza to survive. please let me know what type of flour, sauce, and cheese are the best for the NY style pizza. With the gas burned oven, I get a maximum of 600 degree F.  Please give some idea of the ingredients ....

Mike,

Here are some of the ingredients for NY-style pies. High Gluten flour, and if I'm not mistaken they use All Trumps High-Gluten bromated flour in NYC. Next is water, then perhaps IDY or fresh yeast/cake yeast. Then, of course, salt. I use sea salt in my doughs but any salt should suffice. Perhaps some oil and some sugar.

For a great NY-style sauce I'd use 7/11 crushed tomatoes and Saporito Heavy Puree in a 3:1 ratio, add some salt and a pinch of oregano and that's it but that's just my personal preference.

Here's a good start for a dough:

http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/New-York-Style-Pizza-Dough

And another great reference:

http://www.pmq.com/freedownload/dough%20survival%20guideUPDATE1.pdf
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Mike_Pizaa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
yes, I use Trumps High-Gluten enriched bromated bleached flour, stainslus 711 ground + red Pizza sauce w/basil, ferro low moisture mozzarella cheese...

A lot of folks are talking about grande cheese and sauce from san marzaro tomatoes. not sure they are good for NY-style pizza...There are two 99c pizza stores within couple of blocks of my store. They are killing my business. I need to offer something of higher quality. Please talk... 

Thanks for the links...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:18:44 PM by Mike_Pizaa »

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
Why don't you tell us what you are doing now to make the dough. Just spent a week at wildwood and never ate so much mediocre pizza. Tasted like they didn't give a damn about the dough, which was utterly flavorless.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »
yes, I use Trumps High-Gluten enriched bromated bleached flour, stainslus 711 ground + red Pizza sauce w/basil, ferro low moisture mozzarella cheese...

A lot of folks are talking about grande cheese and sauce from san marzaro tomatoes. not sure they are good for NY-style pizza...There are two 99c pizza stores within couple of blocks of my store. They are killing my business. I need to offer something of higher quality. Please talk... 

Thanks for the links...

Grande is great but will it justify the price for your biz? Look into a Saputo Grande clone, which is cheaper.

On another note, I'm not sure if you can, or will ever be able, to compete with those $0.99 per slice stores. What I'd suggest is to revamp your pizza menu and get the word out that you're using high-quality ingredients, baking your pies on a hearth, throw in the word "organic" and what not.

But it all depends on your location. There's a reason that those 99 cents stores are in your area. They wouldn't be there if the management wouldn't think there's money to be made. Beat them at their own game but with better quality pies.

Also, keep in mind that the eyes eat first, meaning make your pies as appealing visually, and of course taste-wise, as possible.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
Why don't you tell us what you are doing now to make the dough. Just spent a week at wildwood and never ate so much mediocre pizza. Tasted like they didn't give a damn about the dough, which was utterly flavorless.

Mass production.
Mike

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »
Just because McDonald's is popular doesn't mean you can't run a successful burger joint next door. Fast food is not the same market as quality food. Never has been. People may initially think a slice is a slice but tastebuds don't lie. Even on the boardwalk, a slice is priced at $1.00 and $3.00 and people don't shun the higher price. You can easily make a premium pizza and charge a premium for it. It is still a cheap meal and people will gladly pay 3x the price for a pizza that tastes significantly better. The trick is not in marketing it but in making it actually taste like it is worth the extra money.

That means quality ingredients and know-how.

Offline Mike_Pizaa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »
can someone please tell me if 550 - 600F is enough to make good artisan Pizza.

Also please tell me about the organic pizza. Are the ingredients for the organic pizza available from the commercial sources?

@David - please give me some tips on how to make new-york style  premium pizza.   

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
I'm not the guy to give tips on New York style anything. But if you want a pizza that tastes great, the toppings are as important as the dough. If you use only mozzarella you wind up with  an unremarkable pie.  Mix in some fresh grated parmigiano and/or pecorino  and maybe some cheddar and you have something people will really want more of.   

pizzapan