Author Topic: New oven smell  (Read 310 times)

Offline saltandtobacco

• I Love Pizza!
New oven smell
« on: August 15, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »
We're a week away from throwing up the doors on our new pizza place and fired up the oven for the first time today. It's a PizzaMaster PM732. We ran it for a few hours as per the manual - with the vents open - and it stunk. Threw out some smoke but mainly gave off a nasty odour that is lingering. I'm a total novice at this and am just looking for reassurance that this is just part of the break-in process rather than some sort of dumpster fire happening at the back. The oven is brand-new.

Offline Ovenray

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New oven smell
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
Didnt you contact the seller about it ?

Offline saltandtobacco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
I did...they weren't super helpful. Said that there would be some smell during the initial heat cycle but it's hard to quantify how much is 'right.' My best guess is that it will probably go away with use but I'm looking for some sort of reassurance...this is but one of the many, many things that is currently stressing the heck out of me as we get ready to open!

Offline Ovenray

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
Its hard to say anything about it really, personally I can only testify about my own bad smelling kitchen appliances when they were fired up for the first time, from a new toaster to a new wafle iron to a new stand mixer (the wafle iron also produced some smoke btw). You have to decide for yourself whats tolerable and try not to panic to soon/much perhaps?

Fire it up again and testbake some in advance of the opening, there's a warranty and its better to know sooner than later. Also keep in mind the possibility you forgot to remove a seal or a piece of plastic foil/wrap, a little (overlooked) piece of adhesive will smoke and smell badly at a few hundred degrees.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:13:06 PM »
The smell is normal.  I have a pizzamaster 932 and the same thing happened the first 2 or 3 times I fired it then went away.  I believe there's some mention of it in the owners manual.  The distributor who sold me the oven told me it was normal as well.

Offline saltandtobacco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 09:18:06 PM »
And the smell is definitely going away the longer we run the ovens. Now I have to find something else to obsess over.

Gianni5 - I'm interested what temp you run your ovens at (what settings on top and bottom) and the style of pizza you make?

Thanks for the input!

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:11:21 AM »
We use the pizzamaster to do a Napoletana ish style pizza. We run the oven at 700f with the top temp control at 6 and the bottom at 0 during slower times and 1 or sometimes up to 2 on the bottom during rush times. That gives us about a 2:30 minute bake time. Here's some pics. Let me know if you have any other questions.

wordpress