Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 87392 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2011, 10:32:42 PM »
HI, glad to be an inspiration! You make no mention of your current set Oven type size ... or what type of dough and technique you are using to spread the dough ,so its hard for me to comment. What was your average cook time? How quickly do you spread a dough? do you use the  slap stretch?  I am also stilll doing all the making and spreading and topping of every pizza, and would say 50-60 pies in around  2 hours with 1 helper on oven, is about all I am good for going flat out. I am sure many could do alot more. But I am comfortable here. I just booked my biggest party to date on sept 30th for 100+ people at a local winery. Plan is  have total of 4 peolple working , 2 people making/ spreading, 1 on the oven and 1 serving tidying up. shooting for 100 pies in 2 1/2 to 3 hrs cooking time. Gonna be a hoot for sure the setting  is beautiful! and wine and pizza (and was told a few cigars too) man does it get any better?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline rumper

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:14 PM »
I have a large oven 41in x 50in.  At the moment I am still rolling by hand but trying to master stretch so I can ditch the rolling pin.  Pies were cooking in around 3-4 mins which I was happy with.  I think my slowness came from my spreading and topping.  My dough is made fresh the day before flour,salt water sugar yeast.  Have fun at the winery I am cooking again on Sunday for another festival but I hope this time will be a little less intense.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2011, 08:27:03 AM »
Unless thats the style of pizza you are shooting for. Yes you need to ditch the rolling pin That poor dough  :'(  so how long to strectch a dough to the point of being ready for topping? What is your hydration level ? and What temps are you cooking at? this is not a WFO correct? I assume lower temps based on the fact that you have sugar as an ingredient?  Just keep experimenting and keep it fun! you ca nsend me a PM and I will gladly help you out.
John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
wine and pizza (and was told a few cigars too) man does it get any better?

Nope. That is my ideal Saturday afternoon. The only thing that might make it better is a good hunt in the morning.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
Fantastic John! You have a great mobile set up and it looks like you are making really great pizza! This thread was fun to read.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
John,

You seem like one really busy guy, like the Energizer bunny. How do you manage a full-time job and your pizza gigs and family duties and still stand up? I get tired just watching you.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
Peter,
sorry for taking so long to respond been a little busy  :-D and who needs more than 5-6 hours of sleep anyway, Its  kind of unproductive time
Yes, but the days go fast! I am blessed with my sales job to work from home. When I am out with customers or visiting jobsites I am able to stop and do my shopping and sometimes even make dough at Vesta. In order to fulfill the family time I do spend a lot of off hours 8-12 pm completing my various paperwork.(and posting here) luckily I like both jobs so that definitely helps. If I had a choice I would do the pizza full time but as mentioned its hard to replace a good salary and great benefits slinging pies on the weekends. For anyone wondering yes it can be very very profitable its a bout finding the right gigs.  I think a brick and mortar store even small non - neo pizzeria would be a tremendous benefit (a must) with the health depts. storage of supplies ,doughs ... If I went big doing a 48" oven for festivals, street fairs and the smaller for private catering and did like JayJ  and work 2 ovens and 2 crews  3-4 days a week,I believe it would be very profitable! But that sounds like work.  ???
NAH, happy with my little niche for now, spreading the Love and Passion for true Neapolitan pizza that most good fol  just don't get a chance to try. makes me wonder are there any VPN certified Mobiles?
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:47:55 AM by JConk007 »

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »
Peter,
sorry for taking so long to respond been a little busy  :-D and who needs more than 5-6 hours of sleep anyway, Its  kind of unproductive time
Yes, but the days go fast! I am blessed with my sales job to work from home. When I am out with customers or visiting jobsites I am able to stop and do my shopping and sometimes even make dough at Vesta. In order to fulfill the family time I do spend a lot of off hours 8-12 pm completing my various paperwork.(and posting here) luckily I like both jobs so that definitely helps. If I had a choice I would do the pizza full time but as mentioned its hard to replace a good salary and great benefits slinging pies on the weekends. For anyone wondering yes it can be very very profitable its a bout finding the right gigs.  I think a brick and mortar store even small non - neo pizzeria would be a tremendous benefit (a must) with the health depts. storage of supplies ,doughs ... If I went big doing a 48" oven for festivals, street fairs and the smaller for private catering and did like JayJ  and work 2 ovens and 2 crews  3-4 days a week,I believe it would be very profitable! But that sounds like work.  ???
NAH, happy with my little niche for now, spreading the Love and Passion for true Neapolitan pizza that most good fol  just don't get a chance to try. makes me wonder are there any VPN certified Mobiles?
Thanks
John
hey john looks like your having a blast, congrats!! Where did you get the oil cans from?I believe there is a mobile vpn oven in the pacific north west either in Washington or Oregon sorry forgot the name.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Thanks The Cans are from Italy. and  yes its a blast. There are several mobile operators out in the great northwest a list is availablr on the forno bravo  site under the mobile oven section. But no one here yet I have a feeling its gonna explode soon! at least 1 or 2 more I know of on the way  >:(
John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
You are Probably all sick of catering pics and I promise to lay off. But this has really been a fun summer for me and a great learning experience. This one was quite possibly my most favorite Party/location yet ! It was A winery grand opening/fundraiser. This is what I am striving for, High Class Gourmet Catering at beautiful locations. Beyond the Pepperoni and sausage these people enjoyed the Pesto, Arugala honey, goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, prosciutto , asparagus...
This place was so cool I gotta put up some pics. Called Torne Valley Winery,  Its a 1827 Victorian set at the base of the Ramapo Mountains and flanked by the Ramapo River Stunning this Grand home has been a project for 4 years and 1500 vines have been planting. Currently they are making wine but bringing in grapes for NY, chili, California ... they are doing weddings, fundraisers... and I am in! perfect together. and its only 15 min from my driveway!! By the way this connection came from doing one of those Big Guy Barrel oven demos. heres the gig ! The set up is a Large brick Paver pation with a bump out for the oven !! They had a 3 piece jazz band going to boot ! You can see the Happy People, hovering around the oven, the vines in the backdrop, and the Rampo river just down the slope  in the background. gorgeous!
Oven performed great and no waiting for pizza the go to 62% Caputo rocks again! alot of very positive comments and feed back there were even a few restaurateurs there who were amazed. Several big wig Event coordinators and party planners were there for the opening to check out the space and They cleaned out the cards ! so hey you never know what any event will bring, a great night !!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:11:42 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »
The roomy paver patio and there is also a wonderful front porch which I forgot to take pics of  :(b pizzas also sorry . Oh yeah the new serving plates were a hit too!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
Sweet gig there brother. Won't take many of those to make a name for yourself! Glad to see things going so well for you and your business.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »
That's an impressive looking event, John.  Like Craig, I'm also very pleased to see you doing so well.

It's a really small thing, but, for high end events such as these, perhaps you can coordinate with whoever is planning the party and match the color of their tablecloths? I like your tablecloths, but in this kind of high end setting, they stand out a bit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:04:41 AM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
John,

I agree that is a beautiful looking place to make your pizzas.  :) I never get tired of seeing what you have accomplished.  I am also glad to see you are doing so well.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
looks great John!  it's cool that you're comfortable with such a large crowd - and no room for excuses at that kind of event..  Well done. 
bill

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
Yeah!  Keep 'em coming.  People take pictures of my rig but rarely do I get to see them.  While you are busy banging out the pizzas and thinking you are the absolute s#!$, a picture gives you a perspective that affords you a fresh and objective look at what your set up is saying. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments. Yes it is really going well!  I post here because I learned it all here! Not the business part the pizza part for sure ! Which is what this is all about. All the thoughts and ideas and comments  from you all helps with the confidence to take on such a adventure.  Scott, great point on the table clothes get with event coordinator in the future for all those little important things. There are those few moments of anxiety that occur just prior to a large party but Once you start to put a few pies out you go into that happy pizza place  ;D
Sidebar-
A note on the oven. You cant really see it, but the oven fits right on the bump out. I Could have made another side facing oven work but I am  thrilled with this little dynamo.  I am working with Peter Dejong tomorrow at a cooking seminar/show. I am Supplying myself and my oven for a group of professional chefs  He has informed me his apple orchard gig did 800 pies this weekend!!
He is doing this with  a 36 " model 90 oven and 4 people. So it's not all about the size, and this proves you really don't need a monster oven to make it work. (and some good $money$!)
Thanks again
John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:27:20 AM by JConk007 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
 jonn, please keep the pictures coming!! what a great event, i can see you getting a lot of business from it. do you have metal extenders to put over your refrigerated rail. it will hold your 1/3 1/6 1/9 pans without any cold air loss. you unit will not have to work as hard.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
Hey you asked for it  so heres the next event today
Pizza and Beyond. Today was so much fun we did dueling ovens 1 hot for pizza and searing and the other for roasting, to accomplish this 6 course meal. I learned a bit more about the capabilities of these great portable ovens. We fed professional chefs! This stop was part of the Club Chefs of Farm tour. These 20 executive chefs (yes I was nervous)  all work at some country club, yacht club beach club... you get it Club Chefs, for the people with disposable income clubs  ;). All were really cool guys who showed a great interest in the ovens and my offering for their club parities ! lots of cards exchanged hands. Think its gonna be good!
So this event/ farm tour is to get the local chefs familiar with the owners and offerings of the local farms . The first pic is of Ambas Farm In Bedford Hills NY. (you can see my oven over in the driveway) Not exactly how I remember farms ?? but hey remember the first computer??
1st course cheese  then
2nd a crustini salad w fresh fish
3rd the pizza Marghertia and a few others
4th Striped Bass with mixed greens (outrageous)
5th Lamb with Mixed Potatoes (Unbelievable)
6th Desert pizza  Figs, apples,Gorgonzola, honey truffle, arugula (yep kinda Yummy!!)

great day I just  love this @#$!
John
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:34:02 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
And yes some serious food!! All prepared in the 2 ovens. The dough is 100% caputo @65% but never made it to room temp. Peter the gentleman and famous chef himself,  built both ovens has the dough made at a local rest. where they use a large Hobart 60 or 80 qt. I could feel a noticable difference after handling so many of my doughs and you can see it in the crusts. Less crumb and open cornicione but still a great pizza. It was a blast
john  :chef:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:41:35 PM by JConk007 »