Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 87484 times)

Offline landras

Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »
Congrats man, I hope I could have one of those too, the best luck to you.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
Larry Thank you!
Have you been doing any evenys / parties with your new mobile truck? I looked hard at the Cambro Storage and as you use them for your pizzeria catering I have no other use aside from weekend Catering. After working the numbers $  and some hard searching I went for the full blown 48" Pizza prep Table with a nice marble top! It slips easily right in the pick up and works great! have a nice small silent generator but most people have a plug. Its also a professional look to the businness. you know Image is important to me  ;), But dough Management is MORE important. Not only can it hold over 100 dough balls it holds all the huge variety of ingredients at tempurture, and at your fingetips ! and speed is key here too!. If 1 topping  runs out reach below fill her up with fresh stuff! The Health department also loves it as everything is kept @ 41 degrees or below. Dough comes out as soon as they round the corner! its a room temp dough but a 90 -100 degree day can wreak havoc on dough trays after 3-4 hours outside you might as well just do fried dough :-D. So I went for the sure thing. and every so glad I did! Here is the Table in action and in the truck . Need to work on the rampsthey work fine for now and I had them for a friend in a wheelchair who visits,  but 2 people easily get her up an in no problem. I am looking now for 2 10" aluminum folding ramps (so its not so Sanford and Son ish)  You cant get everything at once right?
JOhn
Landras I can have one for you in 3-4 weeks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:31:05 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
In what part of Jersey are you located ?

Perry

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »
Wow,looks like a fun Business Venture! Best wishes and hope you will have great success! The work you have shown us thus far is incredible.

8)
-Bill

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
John that's an awesome setup. Nice oliera. I think they sell those metal ramps at Home Depot.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Looks like a great setup. I hope you are extremely successful.

Offline texmex

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
Wow, that is a great set-up! 

You might find those ramps at Harbor Freight.
Reesa

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »
Very nice John. I'm excited for you. That's the only way to have a restaurant/food business - when you don't have to worry about making money or not and you can just have fun.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
CL -that was the plan from the get go- do it, do it right, and Pay up front so there is no pressure! as you said that keeps it fun! not that big of an investment in the grand scheme of things.

TM - I went to Harbor frieght they have the folding ramps  but too short I  need at least 8-10' and also they would have to be topped with some type of material to cover the openings more for ATV not PPT. also its nice to have a edge to keep the wheels onboard when you load and unload the unit.  

Another good point is the room to cold ferment if needed. back to back parties ... plenty of room for everything.

Heres cooking with My 2 favorite GI tools!

John

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
Congrats John-I'm really happy for you, and wish you the best!

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »
I don't think you've mentioned it, what brand is the actual oven?

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
Nice rig, John.  Looks like all that hand wringing paid off!

We had ours out for a graduation party last weekend.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
PARTY TIME  ;D
Heres the set up from a recent Party oven / prep table serving station.... fun fun fun I think I look happier than my day job?? wonder why?
John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:09:24 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
and you ask, what comes from that fire in a little mobile oven?. some favorites Margherita, Eggplant,  White with Shrooms and Truffle oil. Asparagus Prosciutto, and Meat for the only 3 guys there :) !
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:10:41 PM by JConk007 »

scott123

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Looks great, John.

One suggestion-  WFOs are about phenomenal tasting pizza, obviously, but there's a small theatrical component.  If you've got the space, always try to face the mouth of the oven so that your customers can get a good look inside and see the pizzas as they're being baked.

Oh, and that prep table is sweet!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
Great Point Scott, and thanks for bringing the oven direction to my attention . This particular set up was 2 fold. Party was up a level so actually people came down to check it out, and, it was threatening rain actually drizzling on set up  so I really lucked out.  I was going to prep in the garage and run straight out and cook if it poured It did not  thank god. Its nice to have them see whats what, but when they start hangin too close and I get get to the oven, I am running solo for now, it becomes an issue so I will use the serving table as a barrier and also like to show of the pizza making theatrics and cool prep table as well.
thanks again. I  appreciate any input and it means a lot,  as Yes I can honestly say I am a rookie at this part !
John

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
You may also think about sticking a table in front of the prep table.  People like to group up there to watch their pizzas being created.  Consequently, they lean on the open lids.  That causes the pins to bend.

You sure look happy.

scott123

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »
John, while we're on the topic of equipment arrangement, I would suggest some sort of barrier to cordon off your entire work area.  That way, you can work in peace and not be concerned about intruders (big or small). Out of all outdoor cooking methods, I think WFOs are incredibly safe, but I still think it's a good idea to let the partygoers know "hey, this is MY space."  This time, you had the house and a/c unit as barriers, but, one of these times, you will most likely find yourself in an open area. It would take too many tables to cordon off all 4 sides, so I think something along the lines of a rope barrier would be a better choice. I took a look at a few rope/tape barrier websites and, man, those things are expensive. The plastic ones are less expensive:

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM6256/products_id/PRO16260?sc_cid=GoogleFeed_MRC-959-6

but... they also look like plastic. Black plastic stanchions and black plastic chains probably wouldn't look that horrible and they would be light.  Considering the amount of lugging you're presently doing, light is good.

If it were me, I might go the DIY route. A 4' dowel from home depot, a 12" pizza platter as a base and some small C hooks could translate into sub $10 stanchion.

Edit:  I found cheaper plastic stanchions:

http://www.twinsupply.com/party/proddetail.asp?prod=57658

Rather than $24 a stanchion, these are a set of 4 for $42.

This page here:

http://www.partycheap.com/Red_Rope_Stanchion_Set_p/57658.htm?click=6103

gives a little more detail with a close up of the very cheap looking coiled plastic rope.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:21:32 PM by scott123 »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »
Wow!, That's great, John! Let me know if you ever get a gig out this way and need an extra pair of hands. :chef:

Offline Matthew

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
Good stuff John!

Matt