Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 120357 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Looks like a great setup. I hope you are extremely successful.

Offline texmex

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
Wow, that is a great set-up! 

You might find those ramps at Harbor Freight.
Reesa

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »
Very nice John. I'm excited for you. That's the only way to have a restaurant/food business - when you don't have to worry about making money or not and you can just have fun.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
CL -that was the plan from the get go- do it, do it right, and Pay up front so there is no pressure! as you said that keeps it fun! not that big of an investment in the grand scheme of things.

TM - I went to Harbor frieght they have the folding ramps  but too short I  need at least 8-10' and also they would have to be topped with some type of material to cover the openings more for ATV not PPT. also its nice to have a edge to keep the wheels onboard when you load and unload the unit.  

Another good point is the room to cold ferment if needed. back to back parties ... plenty of room for everything.

Heres cooking with My 2 favorite GI tools!

John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
Congrats John-I'm really happy for you, and wish you the best!

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »
I don't think you've mentioned it, what brand is the actual oven?

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
Nice rig, John.  Looks like all that hand wringing paid off!

We had ours out for a graduation party last weekend.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
PARTY TIME  ;D
Heres the set up from a recent Party oven / prep table serving station.... fun fun fun I think I look happier than my day job?? wonder why?
John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:09:24 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
and you ask, what comes from that fire in a little mobile oven?. some favorites Margherita, Eggplant,  White with Shrooms and Truffle oil. Asparagus Prosciutto, and Meat for the only 3 guys there :) !
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:10:41 PM by JConk007 »

scott123

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Looks great, John.

One suggestion-  WFOs are about phenomenal tasting pizza, obviously, but there's a small theatrical component.  If you've got the space, always try to face the mouth of the oven so that your customers can get a good look inside and see the pizzas as they're being baked.

Oh, and that prep table is sweet!

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
Great Point Scott, and thanks for bringing the oven direction to my attention . This particular set up was 2 fold. Party was up a level so actually people came down to check it out, and, it was threatening rain actually drizzling on set up  so I really lucked out.  I was going to prep in the garage and run straight out and cook if it poured It did not  thank god. Its nice to have them see whats what, but when they start hangin too close and I get get to the oven, I am running solo for now, it becomes an issue so I will use the serving table as a barrier and also like to show of the pizza making theatrics and cool prep table as well.
thanks again. I  appreciate any input and it means a lot,  as Yes I can honestly say I am a rookie at this part !
John

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
You may also think about sticking a table in front of the prep table.  People like to group up there to watch their pizzas being created.  Consequently, they lean on the open lids.  That causes the pins to bend.

You sure look happy.

scott123

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »
John, while we're on the topic of equipment arrangement, I would suggest some sort of barrier to cordon off your entire work area.  That way, you can work in peace and not be concerned about intruders (big or small). Out of all outdoor cooking methods, I think WFOs are incredibly safe, but I still think it's a good idea to let the partygoers know "hey, this is MY space."  This time, you had the house and a/c unit as barriers, but, one of these times, you will most likely find yourself in an open area. It would take too many tables to cordon off all 4 sides, so I think something along the lines of a rope barrier would be a better choice. I took a look at a few rope/tape barrier websites and, man, those things are expensive. The plastic ones are less expensive:

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM6256/products_id/PRO16260?sc_cid=GoogleFeed_MRC-959-6

but... they also look like plastic. Black plastic stanchions and black plastic chains probably wouldn't look that horrible and they would be light.  Considering the amount of lugging you're presently doing, light is good.

If it were me, I might go the DIY route. A 4' dowel from home depot, a 12" pizza platter as a base and some small C hooks could translate into sub $10 stanchion.

Edit:  I found cheaper plastic stanchions:

http://www.twinsupply.com/party/proddetail.asp?prod=57658

Rather than $24 a stanchion, these are a set of 4 for $42.

This page here:

http://www.partycheap.com/Red_Rope_Stanchion_Set_p/57658.htm?click=6103

gives a little more detail with a close up of the very cheap looking coiled plastic rope.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:21:32 PM by scott123 »

Offline Ev

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »
Wow!, That's great, John! Let me know if you ever get a gig out this way and need an extra pair of hands. :chef:

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
Good stuff John!

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
john, you asked about events that i have cooked at .tonight we did a popular local winery. their food service director asks the vendors to set up for 60 people. we did 75 dough balls in an hour and a half. the food service director wasn't to happy. after she calmed down she asked when we could come back.being a friday night and trying to manage my every day friday sales and this off premise event was quite stressful but after the positive customer feed back it was worth it.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
Keep em wanting for more Larry good move! Here is my pleasant setting balling up in the am for the evening party this is what 35 dough balls look like pre ball and tray. Nice setting Mambo Italiano in the background cup o coffee, under the umbrella, shade and lush surrounding make for Happy dough balls  ;D
I have Back to Back events/ parties for the 1st timethis weekend,  friday evening and saturday afternoon double fun! and making 75 balls total!  I am planning making the dough on thursday midday balling 30 friday morning for friday night leaving the rest in bulk ? or should I just ball and let go ? the artisan trays are a good seal and I really prefer the 2-3 day old dough with .2% idy to me it tastes a bit better! any thoughts suggestions are welcome  ? I may ball everything and just keep in fridge.Then 4-6 hrs room pre party. I  will see how it comes out same dough same oven 1 day later this is how we learn, by doing. Like I did with the dough, stretch fold once rest a bit then I kinda halfed it 2nd pic made it easier to work than a larger log 2nd pic  learning everytime ;) time this production stuff is much different than the 1000G 5 ball batch for sure! Really getting busy, and still having fun!
John
JOhn
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:49:00 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
John you and Larry are living the life.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
What a weekend! Perfect Weather, Great set ups, and some Great people (pizza was ok too). I am sure there will be a few more booking after doing these 2. Its been quite a steep learning curve to date with Flirting With Fire  as far as  what to bring topping wise and what to charge. How to handle the actual cooking time. set up and breakdown times. Also,I must say as Larry did its a lot of work and schlepping!  But I am really  loving it! Learning very quickly what it really takes to step up beyond the 10 pizzas in the backyard for my friends. By Jobe I think I've got it! Here are a few on location shots of from this weekends parties, and How I am able to get into great spots close to the action with my oven.  The prep table is really turning out to be a big +plus. With out it at 90 degrees in the sun dough management gets a little tough! oh and its paid$ for itself already!  ;)
john
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:38:36 AM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
1st post  was fri night Cooked til 10:30 so Yesterday heat up was about 45 min! Bill ( ash managment) they had a fire pit so I shoveled everything out into ash bucket and poured into fire. Yesterday I put the ashes in bucket filled with water brushed out oven and took off no issues. I could have cooked a pie when I got home! but I had had enough after 65 pizzas! Maybe today  :P This set up was at the end of te driveway and my harbor frieght close out tent turned out to be the best $49 dollars I have spent on FWF so far. ( notice the shade!) It was hot and I love it.  But direct sun on prep area causes some struggles. Heres this set up yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:40:51 AM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »
oops Yes I did make pizza! Just finiding it hard to remember to take pics once the  Pizzas are flying everywhere.  :chef:
John
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:31:41 AM by JConk007 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »
John,

Your set-up and pizzas look awesome!   ;D

Norma

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
Looks Great! 

Offline acbova

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
Add me to your list of admirers!  So cool.  How long does it take you to lift the trailer when you get onsite?  I'm guessing it's real handy to have the oven at the right height.  Is it comparable to your WFO at home?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:46:40 PM by acbova »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:06 PM »
john,looks like you had a great weekend!! your setup is amazing! you may have to give up that day job.

pizzapan