Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 85021 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
john, you asked about events that i have cooked at .tonight we did a popular local winery. their food service director asks the vendors to set up for 60 people. we did 75 dough balls in an hour and a half. the food service director wasn't to happy. after she calmed down she asked when we could come back.being a friday night and trying to manage my every day friday sales and this off premise event was quite stressful but after the positive customer feed back it was worth it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
Keep em wanting for more Larry good move! Here is my pleasant setting balling up in the am for the evening party this is what 35 dough balls look like pre ball and tray. Nice setting Mambo Italiano in the background cup o coffee, under the umbrella, shade and lush surrounding make for Happy dough balls  ;D
I have Back to Back events/ parties for the 1st timethis weekend,  friday evening and saturday afternoon double fun! and making 75 balls total!  I am planning making the dough on thursday midday balling 30 friday morning for friday night leaving the rest in bulk ? or should I just ball and let go ? the artisan trays are a good seal and I really prefer the 2-3 day old dough with .2% idy to me it tastes a bit better! any thoughts suggestions are welcome  ? I may ball everything and just keep in fridge.Then 4-6 hrs room pre party. I  will see how it comes out same dough same oven 1 day later this is how we learn, by doing. Like I did with the dough, stretch fold once rest a bit then I kinda halfed it 2nd pic made it easier to work than a larger log 2nd pic  learning everytime ;) time this production stuff is much different than the 1000G 5 ball batch for sure! Really getting busy, and still having fun!
John
JOhn
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:49:00 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
John you and Larry are living the life.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
What a weekend! Perfect Weather, Great set ups, and some Great people (pizza was ok too). I am sure there will be a few more booking after doing these 2. Its been quite a steep learning curve to date with Flirting With Fire  as far as  what to bring topping wise and what to charge. How to handle the actual cooking time. set up and breakdown times. Also,I must say as Larry did its a lot of work and schlepping!  But I am really  loving it! Learning very quickly what it really takes to step up beyond the 10 pizzas in the backyard for my friends. By Jobe I think I've got it! Here are a few on location shots of from this weekends parties, and How I am able to get into great spots close to the action with my oven.  The prep table is really turning out to be a big +plus. With out it at 90 degrees in the sun dough management gets a little tough! oh and its paid$ for itself already!  ;)
john
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:38:36 AM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
1st post  was fri night Cooked til 10:30 so Yesterday heat up was about 45 min! Bill ( ash managment) they had a fire pit so I shoveled everything out into ash bucket and poured into fire. Yesterday I put the ashes in bucket filled with water brushed out oven and took off no issues. I could have cooked a pie when I got home! but I had had enough after 65 pizzas! Maybe today  :P This set up was at the end of te driveway and my harbor frieght close out tent turned out to be the best $49 dollars I have spent on FWF so far. ( notice the shade!) It was hot and I love it.  But direct sun on prep area causes some struggles. Heres this set up yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:40:51 AM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »
oops Yes I did make pizza! Just finiding it hard to remember to take pics once the  Pizzas are flying everywhere.  :chef:
John
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:31:41 AM by JConk007 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »
John,

Your set-up and pizzas look awesome!   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
Looks Great! 

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
Add me to your list of admirers!  So cool.  How long does it take you to lift the trailer when you get onsite?  I'm guessing it's real handy to have the oven at the right height.  Is it comparable to your WFO at home?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:46:40 PM by acbova »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:06 PM »
john,looks like you had a great weekend!! your setup is amazing! you may have to give up that day job.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
Thanks Norma,Dan,Larry But there is no way I am giving up my day job. there are a few days I enjoy that too! ( fewer) and it allows me to push on with this fun endeavor.
ACbova.
I was totally set up in 1 hr. on Saturday. The oven itself once unhooked takes maybe 10 minutes at most including putting on the chimney and cranking it up. I am 6"2" and value my back so yes it is helpful to be able to raise it up to proper cooking height its very simple.
Thanks!
John

Offline landras

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
Looking good, looking good!! keep it up, congratulations, I can picture myself doing what you do now in the near future!
nico

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
This is really exciting stuff John. Congratulations on your well deserved success!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
This is one of the best set ups I've seen. The fact that you can get the oven close to the action, only adds to the success of the event. I've seen trucks, including converted fire trucks, but they not may fit everywhere. Very well thought out and I wish you the best.
In the end it's about pizza, and I suspect your customer's are very happy in that regard. Good luck.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Thanks again everyone. All it takes is a "dollar and a dream" or is that a "Plan and a Peel? " I really liked the Big Green truck and thats kind of what pushed me into this.  I also saw the fire truck post here from conn. and saw several fire trucks on Ebay that I almost purchased. But the final investment could not be justified part time. Its not just the oven expense but you also need so many gizmo's and gadgets from cooling trays, to proofing containers, table clothes, prep tables ... IN the end this is the way to go to start out and if anybody is interested in purchasing such an oven please run it past me! I do love the fact that I can be in or close to the action. I am working on a trailer dolly with ball for the front where 3-4 people can push the oven into location with out the pick up truck provided the area is reasonably level. My plan is to see how it goes and maybe keep this unit for exactly these type of events and get a larger 48" oven on a 2 axle trailer side mounted for production gigs and festivals if it really takes off, and I really loose my mind.
As far as the Pizza Yes no starters, poolish or biga here  or even fancy effective hydration here  just a 20 min autolyse yes for sure !   and Just simple good ingredients oh  a nice mixer helps! I have only heard A lot of "oh my gods" and some very very positive feedback, thats actually another reason I jumped in, so yes I assume the customers are quite happy at least everyone has paid so far + ! so it cant be all that bad.
And Craig thank you also! You are not the only on with an oven in your garage  :P thats where I keep it most of time. but the thought of getting your beautiful grand piece on a trailer haunts me ! so I will stick with my baby grand. I should run some 8 " flex pipe through roof so I can like back under clip in and bake even in the rain ! just a thought but it is a thought now darn U ???
John
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:56:08 PM by JConk007 »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 02:32:45 PM »
Your work area set up is better than alot of pizza shops I used to eat at back in NY.
I bet the pizzas are too! Looks like alot of fun along with the hard work.

:)

-Bill

parallei

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
Hey John,

Just noticed this thread.......very cool!  Have fun.  It sure does look like a lot of work in the heat.  Judging by those pies, I'm sure you'll be a great success ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »
Thank bill and Parelli having a great time next 24th party then 28th 60 people adults. Yes pies coming out ok but still working out the nuances of the mobile oven
What heat? I grew up laying 300 degree asphalt in this weather now that was hot and you can't eat it!
John
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:31:32 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
Barefoot Pizza on THE BEACH!! So it keeps getting  better. Thursday night Party was for my Platform /Tennis club at the lake I was approached by the events coordinator at the club we advertised and it sold out with a waiting list! very cool. My biggest party to date 60 people ! Most people were in awe at the oven and the 90second bake. Lots of people very interested Shared a little speach on the Neapolitan style and what makes it neapolitan. I made 68 pies in around 2 hrs time. I  had 1 friend who helped me with the oven and I stretched and dressed the pies.  It was a great Party! other plus was Boston  brewing company was there with a sampling of the Samuel Adams line so that kept a few at large for a few minutes anyway. and helped get a few more shoes off.  The  Oven was in a zone, about 850 hearth and 900 walls. Cranking out some perfect pies! as he was pulling out I was slipping the next right under. good rythmn. Did not even move pr rake the coals just kept the flame licking the dome an few passes with the brush now and again Lots of work and prep but worth it all! I uped the hydration just .5% to 62.5% and gave 75% of the flour a mix and rest for 25 min. (Effective or no?) I did not get to take any pics of pizza but others did and I will post when they get them to me Really Nice some of my best. Thanks again to Frank at Vesta Pizzeria for use of his Killer Diving arm mixer this was a 26 lbs of flour batch made 78 balls and fed the crowd  til they surrendered!  :-D
John
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:14:31 PM by JConk007 »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
Looks like a blast!  You sure are booking a lot of parties - very impressive so quickly.  You are doing amazing stuff!

pizzapan