Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 82085 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
John,

Wow, 68 pies in 2 hrs. time!  ;D  Continued success to you.  Sounds like you are really having fun.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
John, it looks like alot of fun. 

By the way, you are finished flirting with fire.  Might as well get a room at Motel 6 and make it official.  :-D :pizza: :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »
Thanks all,
Gene, This is upscale catering, do you thing I could do the Marriot?
Yes taking off for only word (taste) of mouth. No advertising, no web, and plenty to keep me going
As far as fun yes the actual cooking and party time are allways tons of fun.
Its the chop ,shop, dough, ball dough, clean, load , unload, clean again .... that I am now realizing I could use some assistance with. Must say my pizza muscles (wrists, forearms) are a bit sore after balling 80 and making 68. good workout. When you give a price to someone its hard for them to get a handle on the other 10+ hours of behind the scenes work that goes into the Event.  For now I would not change a thing, with the exception of someone to help with the odds and ends. This is still a passion for me and still fun, I love educating the public on real Neapolitan Pizza, and oh and still just a side gig. My goal is to keep it right here for the time being and not sacrifice the product in any way. The comments I get each time are really really great and keep the dream alive.
John
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:50:16 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »
For Robyn and Scott Here is a quick Video of the slick use of the GI metal perforated peel (you both got from some nice guy on this forum) from and party I did. It was  taken on camera phone so its not the best but see the peel. Just slip under with minimum flour and zip into the oven, which part are you struggling with? lots of vids on the GI site as well from the real pros. Keep practicing. This is now my favorite tool and this is the 62% dough  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6-z2UsisQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6-z2UsisQ</a>

ps I have 3 or 4 of those authentic oil cans from Italy just off the boat  I am will to sell, brandy new in the bag for who ever emails 1st
john
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:01:20 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
Here are the Killer Cans! for Furum Members wood fired or not.
John

Offline Tman1

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
I'm in for one of those!!  PM me the details.

I read in a previous post you were looking for something to hand maneuver the trailer in certain situations...
http://www.bing.com/shopping/deluxe-trailer-dolly/p/ECB1482AE0CE4FE55006?q=trailer+dolly&lpq=trailer%20dolly&FORM=HURE
Hopefully I understood that correctly. They do have motorized ones that boat and trailer places use too, but they might not be as useful on grass, and definitely not as cheap!

Did I miss how you get the PPT off the truck? I assume ramps of some sort.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »
Not just for you, but this would be nice.. and one less thing to move around since it's already attached!
http://www.eztug.com/secondlevels/features.shtml

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
Show-Off.   :P   My pizza took me about 8 tries to get it on the peel, I stopped and added extra bench flour, finally I got it half on and supported the peel handle with my knee so I could use both hands to drag it the rest of the way on, then had to re-stretch it into a circle.  Unloading was worse  :-[   

I'm sure it's just practice and getting the feel for it.  I've watched other videos, but nothing replaces doing it a bazillion times and that's what I need to do.  Once it's IN the oven I felt pretty good, until I burned it 'cause I couldn't see in there...  Give me a few weeks and I'm sure I'll be much better.  It will also be easier once we get the room arranged better - right now I'm making the pizza on the kitchen counter, then carrying it on the peel (with the 5' handle) into the dining room dodging the dining table and the other furniture than has been dragged away from the wall...  We need to improve on that, soon.  Thanks for the video, John!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
Robyn Thanks but not showing off really.  I am seriously trying to help you out here,  and was wandering what part you were stuggling with. With my Outside oven I assemble the pizza on the marble slab and do the slide  onto the perf peel. Be agressive go for it! Quick deliberate motions its only dough. Try it with no toppings or sauce, just the skin to get the feel for the friction, then work up to Margherita then the crazy toppings. Load it on dump it back on counter and load it again. Practice yes. Hey Calzones are great leftovers too!  Make an extra 3 and practice the slip under. it does impress the guest too when they say "so how you gonna get that thing in there?"  whala
wont take a bazillion either but 100 or so and you will have it promise! dont forget the small stick on the fire before you launch Lights it up nice.

TMan thanks for the links I have seen the 1st at Harbor frieght I like the 2nd but like you say $$BIG$$ and say tongue weight Max 352 lbs I think I have more than that 1st one states 600 lbs max but tires seem small I found another at Ellkay producs That is 1000 lbs with 16" wheels gotta get Jet Deck to modify for me !  :-D
John
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:33:50 PM by JConk007 »

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 01:35:48 AM »
What a ingenious Idea...
That being the imprinted circle of the size you want to stretch the dough...
Although, I am sure after throwing all those... you can do it blind folded....  ;)

Anyhow, very nice work.
Go baby go!

m.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
M.
Not sure where you are seeing the imprinted circle? table? peel?  I weigh the dough balls 255-260G and shape them to desired thickness and size, although I have seen wooden peels with a circle one it at some pizzerias who use it for size, but  I don't have a circle anywhere ???. Oh- I can look away but don't have the eyes closed thing down yet. Maybe someday after that Bazzilionth  one.
Thanks for looking
john
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:25:33 PM by JConk007 »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
John, just kidding about the show-off!!  I was just teasing you.  You make it look so easy.  I have 13 dough balls in containers lined up on my counter right now, 4 different dough formulas, and a few friends on their way over for the first official pizza cooking.  So I'll get some practice today.  My prep counter is SS, should be good once I figure the movement out.  Another thing that will help is that I am having Dan cut down the length of the perforated launch peel handle as it is way too long for me to use effectively indoors, and I don't need that length in the 38" oven.  It'll end up about the same length as the brush handle, and I will be much happier.   

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
I have lost what's left of my mind...
I thought it was photo img-20110728 but after looking at it again it looks like it is a Silpat
non-sticking folding mat or some other brand..
Sorry about that..
Keep the dough coming!

m.

M.
Not sure where you are seeing the imprinted circle? table? peel?  I weigh the dough balls 255-260G and shape them to desired thickness and size, although I have seen wooden peels with a circle one it at some pizzerias who use it for size, but  I don't have a circle anywhere ???. Oh- I can look away but don't have the eyes closed thing down yet. Maybe someday after that Bazzilionth  one.
Thanks for looking
john

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »
No problem yes thats a King Aurthur mat I use when weighing ( 260G)and balling. I thought you were looking at the pics of the prep table?. Not a bad Idea though, just scribe it into prep table  so the trainees know exactly what size the pie should be.
Oh while I am here a few more pics from the Beach Party this my my biggest yet and most fun!
Its amazing how happy you can look working when you are doing something you love!
thats asparagus and mushroom
John
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:56:37 PM by JConk007 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
Its amazing how happy you can look working when you are doing something you love!

John, you have life by the balls! (dough balls that is  :-D)

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
Oooh that looks good!  I think that's the "prettiest" pizza I've seen in your pics, just perfect looking.  And yes, you do look happy  :D

Offline texmex

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »
Love it!  Look at all those happy waiting faces.
Reesa

Offline Tman1

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
Hey, I'd really like to know more about that plastic (?) area you are using to stretch and load the pie.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Terry ,
Are you speaking of the Solid Marble top on the Prep table?

Tex those people are happy yes  waiting no, they are all full ! white flag !
John

Offline Tman1

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
I'm not sure how it happened, but i saw it in another video on a different post, yet I asked the question in this thread.  ???  You're videotaping you making a margherita, and there is something on top of the granite/marble that is sort of keeping all the flour contained (in a reasonable area)..... looked to be about 20" deep by about 2' wide, was white with a high back?